Preset "Sync Power" volume.

6 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hello MODX people,

I am using the "Sync Power" sound in a performance (for Just A Girl).

I am wondering how I can increase the volume as it is not cutting through with the band when I raise volume to full.

If I double up the part it causes a strange sound different to the original single sound.

I know you can increase the sound output globally, but I don't want do this as I am not really having volume problems on other performances.

I am currently using only the L/Mono output because the studio at which we rehearse will not let me plug in to the PA.  It may perform better in Stereo?

thanks

Posted : 05/04/2024 7:19 am
Blake Angelos
Member Admin

Hello,

I always recommend stereo if possible. MODX will always sound better in stereo. 

As far a increasing the level you have several different choices. One is simply adjusting the EQ and boosting midrange, upper midrange and high frequencies using your ears as a guide so the sound cuts more through the mix. 

You can also boost the sound in the Part Effect using the 2 band EQ. Check Page 80 in the MODX Reference Manual. This is and easy way to boost by as much as 12 Db for that particular performance and allow you to keep the level the same overall. 

LMK if that helps. 

Posted : 05/04/2024 4:15 pm
dave reacted
Prominent Member

I am wondering how I can increase the volume as it is not cutting through with the band when I raise volume to full.

The default configuration for a Preset won't always match what you need for a particular use. That particular perf is using velocity scaling for both elements. See this excellent Montage article (applies to Modx) Bad Mister wrote for all the details

https://yamahasynth.com/learn/montage-series-synthesizers/montage-velocity-sensitivity/

That perf has 1 part with 2 elements. Examine each element's amplitude -> level/pan screen and you will find:

1. Level/vel is set to +30 for both elements

2. Curve 3 is used for both elements

3. Element 1 is panned hard left while element 2 is panned hard right

Each of those parameters affects the volume/level. The DEFAULT values for an INIT elemen are Level/Vel = 0 and Pan = C.

If you try those you will hear the difference. You could also set the ELEMENT PAN switch to OFF at the part level on the Part Settings page.

If I double up the part it causes a strange sound different to the original single sound.

You generally don't want to do that - certainly not just for a volume issue. Doubling is more appropriate when you really want 'doubling' - the copy is often detuned slightly to mimic how real instruments sound slightly different when played by different players.

I know you can increase the sound output globally, but I don't want do this as I am not really having volume problems on other performances.

Good for you to recognize that isn't really the solution.

I am currently using only the L/Mono output because the studio at which we rehearse will not let me plug in to the PA. It may perform better in Stereo?

You are still getting both channels when you use a single cable plugged into the L/Mono jack. See Bad Mister's explanation in this thread - https://yamahasynth.com/community/modx-series-synthesizers/right-output-on-modx-isnt-as-loud-as-left-output/#post-86907

the Left channel includes both left and right channels summed in mono when you use a single cable. You will see it is clearly labeled “L/Mono”. This means: in a situation where you are using this instrument with a mono sound system, a single cable connected to this jack will include a phase coherent sum of both Left and Right signal

The Right channel, when a cable is plugged in (assumes you are using both channels) only includes the right channel information. Using a single cable to the right channel is never correct.

It's just a fact that you can't always rehearse using the same setup you will have when performing. But your volume issue generally isn't a problem.

I suggest you do some tests with the parameters I mentioned earlier and see if that addresses the issue for you.

Posted : 05/04/2024 6:06 pm
dave reacted
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Blake

The 12.0 dB boost seemed to help quite a bit.

I'll check out Andrew's suggestions as well.

Posted : 17/04/2024 6:05 am
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi Andrew,

Yes - reducing the level/vel bumped the volume up considerably.

Funny , I tried this with some brass sounds and the same did not seem to help much.

cheers.

Posted : 28/04/2024 12:52 pm
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi Andrew,

Yes, reducing the level/vel to 0 boosted the volume considerably.

Funnily I tried this on some brass parts and the same tweak didn't seem to have any effect?

cheers

This post was modified 2 days ago by dave

Posted : 28/04/2024 12:54 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us