Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MODX+ Hiss and artifacting in FM Synthesis

3 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

New MODX+ owner. I’m wondering why I’m getting so much hiss/noise, especially when using the FM Synth patches. I hear it through the studio monitors (old Alesis MK2) and even more so in the headphones(Audiotechnica ATH-M50x). I also hear an artifacting, like a mix of light hiss and flange buried in the notes, like you’d hear from really bad MP3s in the 2000s. It’s not musical, so I’m not sure if it’s a quirk of the FM Synth engine or something wrong. I don’t hear any hiss/flanging unless I’m playing.

The keyboard has a tendency to distort/clip fairly easy in both the monitors and headphones when the master is past 1 o’clock, even though the volume isn’t very loud. Seems like the MODX+ onboard headphone/line out amp is pretty weak and flat. 

So, is the hiss and artifacting normal on the FM Synth? And why does the keyboard clip/distort easily? I have an old Korg Triton, and it’s tried and true. No noise. No quirks. Full, rich sound.

The MODX+ is finicky. I’m hoping it’s user error.

Posted : 05/04/2024 4:35 am
Blake Angelos
Member Admin

Hello,

To me this sounds like a gain issue. You only stated your monitors but are you using a mixer? Are you set up in stereo? if you have a mixer, does the mixer have input gain on the channels? MODX+ does not have noisy outputs, and in fact any modern professional piece gear doesn't have issues with noise in the signal for the most part. What causes noise is usually related not having enough input gain at the first point of entry, usually a mixer channel without enough input gain. Sd far as the FM sounds, what particular sounds are you talking about? It's hard to know without some examples.

Posted : 05/04/2024 4:37 pm

There are some online dissertation sites that you can find when you find something that is definitely listed on your site fnaf

Posted : 08/04/2024 3:25 am

You undoubtedly possess insightful observations that I am certain to appreciate. In regards to an aspect that could be enhanced with a reduced emphasis on attention-seeking, I often overhear a multitude of individuals voicing their discontent. Without any ambiguity, I affirm that I choose to partake in the activity of reading. play fnaf game

Posted : 22/04/2024 4:17 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us