Load single Motif xf voice

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Rich
 Rich
Eminent Member
Topic starter

It’s been 24 hours since I unboxed my MODX. Fortunately I don’t need to learn a new language as many of terms used for Motif functions are similar in the MODX.
However, I’ve loaded both XF performances and a voice library into the MODX, but cannot determine if only a single voice can be loaded. I suspect not since google and yamahasynth searches came up blank.

But, if anyone knows, it’ll be one of you! Many thanks.

Posted : 10/02/2022 8:54 pm
Bad Mister

There is no LOAD one from the Motif XF

You can load all Motif XF Voices to your MODX using the LOAD function, as follows:
Press [UTILITY]
Touch "Contents" > "Load"
You can set the "CONTENT TYPE" to either USER FILE or LIBRARY FILE
This will determine where the data will be placed in your MODX.

The USER Memory is where you can edit and tweak these sounds - loading to USER will overwrite the current user Bank with the Motif XF data
The LIBRARY Memory is where you can install the Motif XF data to FLASH - it will not overwrite anything. You would load here if you want to pick and choose which Motif XF sounds you would ultimately like to keep in your MODX. For example, if there are custom Waveforms/Samples - writing to a Library will let you pick and choose which ones you want to keep. Data can be imported from the FLASH memory (Library) to the internal User memory... this would be when you are assembling new custom libraries. The assembly of LIBRARIES is always done in the MODX User Bank. (Data can be imported from a Library to the User Bank without overwriting the data already in the User Bank - thus is role in assembling new Banks).

Navigate to your USB Stick and find the compatible Motif XF file -- you can select to Load:
a Motif XF All data file .X3A
a Motif XF All Voice File .X3V
The MODX can read/translate the data from these file types for Voices - you will see a screen that lets you choose if you wish to load VOICEs or Performances.
Select VOICE.

You cannot load just 1 VOICE, the MODX will convert all 512 User Voices and place them in memory - Each VOICE will be loaded to the MODX as a SINGLE Part Performance.

Just FYI:
All of the 1,024 Preset Normal Voices + 72 Drum Kits are already in your MODX as Single Part Performance
All of the 128 GM Normal Voices + 1 GM Drum Kit

All of the 512 Factory Motif XF Performances are available for free download from the Official Yamaha MODX Download site.

Posted : 10/02/2022 9:31 pm
Rich
 Rich
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Appreciate your help Phil. In every tutorial video I watch, the author invariably uses the word “daunting” in describing the depth of the modx. How true.

One other question. There are a number of videos showing how to morph from one sound to another using the superknob. I want to morph a vox-like organ to a Hammond sound. (Preferably with single voice in each part)

Are you aware of any existing presets (or soundmondo performances) that I could use to dissect? I did print your ‘Mastering MODX:Super Knob Morph”, but would like a visual while going through the process.

Many thanks

Posted : 12/02/2022 5:46 pm
Member Admin

Conceptually, MODX is simple. It's just (very) badly "designed".

Discoverability wasn't a factor in their thinking, at all. Nor were flow state, consistency and predictability.

You'll be reminded of this post every time you double tap a screen "button" that doesn't respond to double taps.

Posted : 12/02/2022 7:40 pm
Member Admin

Three MUST have free sound libraries:

Montage expanded: https://shop.usa.yamaha.com/en/downloadables/sound-expansion-library/montage-expanded.html
Much Motion learnings can be had in this.

KAPro CS80: https://shop.usa.yamaha.com/en/downloadables/sound-expansion-library/synth-voice-libraries/cs80-montage.html
Important sounds!!!

and Twisted Tools... but can't find it. This one shows how to use the Filters best.

Posted : 12/02/2022 7:47 pm
Antony
Estimable Member

One other question. There are a number of videos showing how to morph from one sound to another using the superknob. I want to morph a vox-like organ to a Hammond sound. (Preferably with single voice in each part)

@Rich.... welcome to the world of MODX.

@Bill is correct.... to help yourself get more focused answers, start a new thread for any new questions.

Regards Morphing.

What you are asking here is "How to Set Up a Cross Fade between Parts".

There is a very basic tutorial in the "Owners Manual".

As an overview, the MODX Composition is based on Performances.

Excepting external MIDI control, Each Performance is comprised of up to 8 Parts. In the case of an AWM2 Part, each Part is comprised of up to 8 Elements (aka Samples/Oscillators/Waveforms).

An FM-X Part comprises of 8 Operators, each Operator provides a Function to the whole Part (recommend learning FM Synthesis).

A Drum Part is similar to an AWM2 Part, but is comprised of approx 70 Elements (normally drum samples), with an "Element per Key" format, specifically for playing Drum/Rhythm/Percussion.

In your case, you need to build a Cross Fade between a Vox Continental Part(s) and a B3 Organ Part(s). These are likely going to be AWM2 Parts.

An "Instrument" may comprise of more than 1 Part, and quite often do.

The first thing you need to do is get both B3 and Vox Continental into the same Performance. Use "Performance Merge" function.

You will likely use the Super Knob to Cross Fade between multiple Parts, which means you will need to Program suitable "Control Assigns". If you want to get a Head Start, start reading up on "Control Assign" in the Reference Manual. You will need to make Control Assigns at each PART Level and also link these to Control Assigns at the PERFORMANCE Level (Common/Audio). The COMMON/AUDIO assigns then need to be linked to the SuperKnob.

This should keep you moving forward.

You can also search this forum... I suggest searching for "Volume Cross Fade".

Posted : 12/02/2022 10:36 pm
Antony
Estimable Member

@Rich.... some additional Food for Thought....

Sometimes it is better to control Part Volumes with the Sliders (aka Mixing Faders), which is their Design Intent.

I will explain. You won't find this in the Manuals.

The DEFAULT Volume control for each Part is its respective Fader (Fader 1 = Part 1, Fader 2 = Part 2 etc).

If you Control Assign Part Volume to an Assign Knob and from there to the SuperKnob, the Fader will no longer control Part Volume (you have effectively deleted Volume Control from the Fader). Subsequently, the Fader will become inactive... it will "Do Nothing"*.

You should also be aware, Faders cannot be re-assigned alternative functions in the Control Matrix. They have a set of embedded Factory Functions that cannot be changed, although they can be "removed" as in this case.

When setting up Part and/or Element Cross Fades, their efficiency and practicality is completely dependent on how well you "programmed" the Cross Fade design (you will eventually become aware of Control Assign "curves").
Regardless, a programmed Cross Fade is FIXED as you Programmed it. Potentially that means frustrating inflexibility, requiring you to have a "drains up" re-design and reprogram.

An example may be in a Live Stage, Band Mix, where depending on Venue acoustics, a "faded-in" Part is getting lost in the Mix, and you have no way of "turning it up" (your Faders are disabled). There are other likely scenarios even if just noodling or recording at home.

The Faders provide infinite flexibility to "Balance and Mix" Part Volumes on the fly, in real time. You quickly get accustomed to pushing or pulling the relevant Faders to attain your desired Mix. This is in effect still Cross Fading, but you have total control.

Doing the "automated" Cross Fade is a useful exercise, and will have its purposes down the line, but I advise, do not disregard the Faders as seemingly "too cumbersome".

My Preference these days is to keep Assign Knobs and SuperKnob as Strictly Modulation and Motion Control devices, which keeps the all important Volume functions safely separated from my "clumsy fingers".

* The Faders have a number of different "Factory" functions depending on their current "Mode". The most obvious is Part Volume control. But they can also be used to control Element Volumes within a single AWM2 Part. In FM-X Parts they can be used as "Level" controls for each Operator, which makes them useful "editing" tools. They can also be assigned as Remote DAW controllers using the new OS "Remote" function (see the Supplementary Manuals). There may be other uses I haven't discovered yet.

Posted : 12/02/2022 11:41 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Are you aware of any existing presets (or soundmondo performances) that I could use to dissect?

A single-Part "vox-like" organ I found is an FM-X Performance "BOX FM Combo Organ". This particular Performance by other's review doesn't score high -- and there are AWM2 (sampled) versions of the Vox which may be better. I'll let you decide if "BOX FM Combo Organ" is sufficient or not.

Given the tonewheel sound will be AWM2 - this AWM2+FM combo morph is demonstrated by the first Performance to show in pianos: "CFX+FM EP".

CFX+FM EP has Parts 1-4 as the AWM2 CFX piano. This can be replaced with a single-Part rotary organ into Part 1 only. Then Part 5 is an FM-X EP that can be replaced by "BOX FM Combo Organ".

You see that the common level assignable knob #1 (this is controlled directly by superknob) is at full clockwise (127) when superknob is full counter clockwise (0). If you follow this knob, common assignable knob is tied to Part 5 assignable knob #1. Part 5's assignable knob #1 controls volume and at 127 (where this knob would be set when superknob is full counter clockwise) this would provide the maximum subtraction of volume (full squelch). As superknob is spun clockwise, this curve will subtract less in a non-linear curve until when the superknob is at full clockwise the Part 5 assignable knob #1 will be at 0 where the curve will be subtracting none from volume (max volume).

I'm glossing over a lot here - and that's half of the picture for Part 5.

Start at the common level by touching the Performance name, choosing Edit, then look at the "Control" menu where you'll see the various common area knobs assigned to Part-level knobs assigned to destination parameters.

Posted : 13/02/2022 12:42 am
Rich
 Rich
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks to all who responded to my”misplaced” post above, as well as the reminder to start a new thread with additional questions. I appreciate the suggestions and will print out to review.

Rich

Posted : 14/02/2022 1:55 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us