Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Low Volume in Cubase Using Microphone Connected to MODX A/D Input

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

MODX8- Using the A/D Input to record mono microphone audio track in Cubase Pro 10.5 works fine but the volume on playback from Cubase is so low it can't be used.
Settings: A/D Input button is on, gain to full, mixer fader in Cubase for audio track is 100%. Although it is recommended not to use phantom power, I've tried it with and without... with is a little louder but not enough. How can I achieve more volume?

In trying to remedy this I purchases a UR22C. When I plug it in and record the audio track into cubase, the volume is great, however I then the MODX midi sounds can't be heard even though the modx and ur22c are connected via midi in/out cables. When selecting track in/out, only the ur22c is available and not the modx.

I contacted Steinberg support and they said it was a driver issue, they deleted the most recent MODX driver I had installed and installed the latest UR22C "tools for modx" driver, which did not help the issue.

Settings:
Microphone Using MODX A/D Input with Phantom Power
Steinberg UR22C turned off.
Modx A/D Input Mic : Left (Mono)
Quick Setup: Audio Rec On DAW
Change Audio I/O: MIC
A/D Input Button: On
A/D Gain: Full Volume
Mic Phantom Supply Used
Cubase:
Mono Audio Track
REC enabled
Monitor Button: On
Track In: Monobus (USB Mail L)
Track Out: Stereo Out

1. How can I have higher volume through A/D Input microphone with modx?
2. OR How can I use the ur22c and be able to hear the ur22c microphone audio track, cubase vst's and modx midi channels at the same time?

Posted : 19/03/2020 7:20 pm
Bad Mister

MODX8- Using the A/D Input to record mono microphone audio track in Cubase Pro 10.5 works fine but the volume on playback from Cubase is so low it can't be used.
Settings: A/D Input button is on, gain to full, mixer fader in Cubase for audio track is 100%. Although it is recommended not to use phantom power, I've tried it with and without... with is a little louder but not enough. How can I achieve more volume?

Welcome to YamahaSynth!
Thanks for the question.

Sorry, after reading your post several times, it is not clear what you are doing.
You mention the UR22c but later say it is turned Off (?)
You connect the microphone to the A/D Input of the MODX but later say you tried it with and without Phantom Power?
How is that possible as the MODX does not provide phantom power.

Can you describe what type of microphone you are using?
Which device MODX or the UR22c is connected to your sound system? (this is the device acting as principal audio interface).
A MIDI connection between the MODX and anything has nothing to do with sound... MIDI data cannot be heard. MIDI data recorded to Cubase must be played back to the MODX, the MODX audio output must be routed to your speakers.

Audio arrives at your speakers through the device acting as your audio interface. — all signals that are to be monitored (heard) must be connected to the audio interface.

Posted : 19/03/2020 9:49 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I think generally, an in-line phantom power supply is used. Something like:

But hearing that phantom shouldn't be used with MODX - tried without the inline power supply.

Tracy, the deal is that you cannot inject phantom power directly into your MODX's ports. It's not made for that. But a sensible phantom power injector such as the Mackie M48 supplies 48V (phantom power) on it's "input" XLR port and supplies a line-level balanced signal on the "output" XLR port. So use of a phantom power injector that supplies power on only one of the two ports (the microphone-facing connector) is perfectly fine. Just verify - like can be done with the Mackie M48 manual - that the MODX-side connection is line level.

If your mic needs phantom power - you're going to need to use a phantom power supply of some sort to give it power since MODX doesn't supply phantom power (nor can it receive it).

I'm not attempting to unravel all of this - but that's my understanding of your phantom power and microphone connection.

Posted : 21/03/2020 4:08 am

Answer to 1. How can I have higher volume through A/D Input microphone with modx?

Yes, standard MIC volume is very low!!! But I think there is a not so immediate solution in MODX!

- In MODX enter EDIT mode of your perfomance
- Select Mixing
- In AD mixer column there is no gain setting, but select the Equalizer picture and press Edit on left

In this last screen, whether you are changing EQ or leave Thru setting
there is an Output Level you can set up to +12db and this is only for the AD input CHANNEL !!!

That's it!!!
Regards.

Posted : 15/08/2021 1:57 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

Tracy, the deal is that you cannot inject phantom power directly into your MODX's ports. It's not made for that. But a sensible phantom power injector such as the Mackie M48 supplies 48V (phantom power) on it's "input" XLR port and supplies a line-level balanced signal on the "output" XLR port. So use of a phantom power injector that supplies power on only one of the two ports (the microphone-facing connector) is perfectly fine. Just verify - like can be done with the Mackie M48 manual - that the MODX-side connection is line level.

Setting up my newly arrived MODX6 today.
My studio monitors are driven from a small mixer with an USB audio interface, and everything goes into the mixer (including the MODX).

The nice thing is that the mixer has an AUX and an FX output (and of course phantom power for the mic inputs).
So I just needed to connect the AUX OUT to the MODX A/D Input (mono).

The mixer allows one to tune the input gain of the mic, the Aux send level and the overall AUX OUT level.

Nice and loud signal from a condenser mic.

Posted : 17/08/2021 7:20 pm
Eminent Member

Is there any current Yamaha workstations that includes Phantom power XLR MIC input jacks?
I only know of the Genos arranger that have it, but arrangers are aimed at a different target group that maybe not own mixers or audio interfaces.

Posted : 19/08/2021 1:11 pm
Bad Mister

Answered in your other post…

Posted : 19/08/2021 1:28 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us