Notifications
Clear all

Mastering MODX: Easy-Peasy MIDI Recording with MODX and Cubasis

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Member Admin
Topic starter

Check out this cool video from Dom Sigalas on MIDI recording using MODX and Cubasis!

Posted : 07/02/2019 9:18 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Q: How do I get Cubasis's screen to show up on my MODX screen?
A: Video editing tricks.

... would have probably preferred to see the physical iPad Air sitting on top of the screen with the wire hanging off than the video edit - since this is misleading to a novice user and could cause a few questions of how that was done. Other than that minor critique - another great video from Dom.

Posted : 08/02/2019 5:35 am

Cubasis seems to work well on the iPad. However when I try to mix down my midi tracks into an stereo audio file. No audio gets rendered. The file mp4 or wav shows up. But the audio file is blank. During the mixdow process lots of noise is heard but no audio waveform is showm Please let me know if anyone has also had this problem. I am using ver 2.7of Cubasis.

Posted : 01/04/2019 12:34 pm
Bad Mister

Vincent,
How, exactly, do you setup to “mix down my midi tracks into a stereo audio file”... because MIDI is not audible. MIDI data, like notation, only represents the musical performance... ultimately, you want to “return” audio from the synth. Send the MIDI Track data to the MODX so that it Outputs audio, you must capture that audio in real-time.

Posted : 01/04/2019 12:44 pm

Thanks for your reply. I followed Dom segakas tutorial on the Yamaha synth website. I set up thracks for each channel in Cuba’s is. Tracks all play fine using the returned audio from the modx. Everything works great until I try to bounce the tracks down. I hear a loud white noise and the file shows up with a file size. But When I try to play it back it’s totally quiet. Do I have to do anything different on the modx quick setup screen when bouncing my tracks down ?

Posted : 01/04/2019 8:52 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I don't have Cubasis so I have no basis for testing. But I know if I set a track to record say a digital channel USB 1&2 and had not setup MODX's PARTs to send audio to that channel - then I would record "silence" - which could be noisy. Or if I had setup Cubasis to record the digital version of Main L&R and, on MODX, had setup all PARTs to output to individual USB1&2, 3&4, etc. outputs - then there would be same kind of mismatch in what my recorder is set to record and what my player (MODX) is set to send. "Totally quiet" really does point towards this kind of disconnect.

Look on Cubasis what audio channel(s) you have set to record. Look at that audio input setting. Make sure that matches what MODX is sending. I know you followed the tutorial - but double check that as I know I could reproduce the same mismatch by using Cubase on a PC with the same general issue described above. Not that what's done on a PC would help. I can't really tell you anything in terms of the menus on Cubasis since I don't have it in front of me - but someone else can guide you there.

This above theory does skip the first few "did you plug in MODX?" type other easier things it could be (level settings, etc).

Posted : 01/04/2019 10:39 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us