MIDI over USB problem

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Max
Topic starter

Hello everyone,
I'm having this kind of problem with MIDI over usb to host:
I use an android tablet for sheets and changing sounds on my motif XF.
In two years of gigs (around 250.each year, from when I started to use the tablet) I never had any problem. Everything was working correctly.
Now I tried to connect MODX, OS 1.10. I programmed all program changes and, before to use this solution on stage, I made a test, of course. Everything was working well till.. modx stopped to receive program changes. Suddenly. The blue usb icon was still on, but MODX stopped to change sounds.
The only way to solve the problem was to disconnect modx from tablet. I made again the connection and it starts again to work. So I started a second test and, after around 50 program changes working good, modx stopped again to receive program changes.
I know, this kind of random problems are the worst, but What happened? Any suggestion or workaround? it could be a really pity for me not to use program changes...

Thanks for reply.

Max.

@badMister sorry I didn't answer to you to my last question about LIVEset slot, but I'm having some problems with internet and now, even if I'm signed in, the site ask me a new log in... I use android and I have a old pc running xp, at the moment it's impossible for me to use soundmondo. May be in the future... But thanks for reply.

Posted : 12/12/2019 1:28 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I wonder if your MODX is in single channel or hybrid MIDI I/O mode. And maybe that "random" Performance switched to has zone control turned on which would defeat single/hybrid mode. And your configured I/O channel is greater than 1.

Posted : 12/12/2019 5:58 am
Bad Mister

Let’s try to pin down some exact settings. What are you sending from your first Performance. Can you tell us the specifics of the Zone Settings?
Are you using Bank Select as well as Program Change or should we take you at your word, just Program Chsnge? If just Program Change, did you turn Bank Select Off? How many of the Parts have Zone Settings?

Posted : 12/12/2019 7:49 am
 Max
Topic starter

@jason

Thanks for reply.
Modx is in single channel, n. 9
I don't use Zone, modx just receive MIDI commands.

@BadMister

Thanks for reply.
Yes, I use not just program change but even bank select. I use LIVE SET commands, 62 0 0, for example. Modx just receive commands from the tablet, I don't use Zone, in advance settings Zone master is off. Just on bank select and program change.

Thanks both for help.

Max

Posted : 12/12/2019 4:23 pm
Bad Mister

A couple of things come to mind...

When using Bank Select and Program Change, MSB/LSB/PC, messages (62 0 0 etc.,) remember the PC is always 0-15
There are only 256 slots active in the current LIVE SET. In other words, if you are sending in Bank Select and Program Changes, you can have access to 256 Live Set slots.

User 1, Live Set has 16 Pages, each with 16 slots.
All of you set lists recalls should be located in the same Live Set User Bank. That means, if the BANK = USER 1, then make sure you are not expecting the BANK to change.

There are 8 USER Banks — each with 256 slots.
But only one USER Bank can be active at a time to respond to Bank Selects beginning with MSB 62

Can you explain what your Live Set setup looks like?
Are the programs you are expecting to recall in the currently active Live Set Bank?
Do you understand this concept of the currently active Live Set Bank?

If your first Live Set slot is in Bank = USER 1, then all the others must also be in Live Set Bank 1...
You should be turning PAGES (there are 16 of them in USER 1), not changing BANKS.

Posted : 12/12/2019 7:39 pm
 Max
Topic starter

I remember one your old post where you explained how to use LIVE SET in the right way. Just one bank and 16 pages.
The "problem" is that I programmed MSB/LSB/PC in the right way.
I think that at the moment I have four options:
- it is a problem of the app that I use
For some reason with motif everything is ok (lucky me), but with modx there is some problem of compatibility.
- I'll try with a classical connection 5pinDin
May be in this way I'll have no problem. I'll do some test.
- I'll upgrade to OS 2.0
and I'll use the new function MIDI to device. Modx must just receive MSB/LSB/PC, so the new function is what I'm looking for.
- I'll anything
and I'll continue to select sounds by hand...
Just in case I'll do one more test with MIDI to host connection, but I can't run the risk to have any kind of problem during my gig.

If you have some other ideas you're very welcome.

Regards

Max.

Posted : 13/12/2019 2:14 am
Bad Mister

To test whether or not it is a problem with your App, try sending the same Bank Select and Program Changes from another device (Cubase, for example).

Other thoughts: Bank Select and Program Change MSB-LSB-PC should be sent in this order. MIDI is serial - so one event after the other. If the MSB/LSB come after the PC, you may get a bogus response.

Since it works for awhile then stops working, I would inspect the connection. Adapters are awful, (some one should tell the computer manufacturers) - they are the weakest link. Fine if your moving pictures or a document, but musicians we need real time handshaking. Unfortunately we live in the era of the adapter. The intermittent nature makes this a prime suspect.

Of course, triple check your data— does it consistently stop working on a particular Program?
Or is it truly not related to the messages sent... see if you can get it to stop working on the same event...

Let us know.

Posted : 13/12/2019 8:36 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us