Notifications
Clear all

Migrating MOXF data to MODX architecture

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

HI,

I have been using Motif keyboards for a long time in a working cover band and absolutely love them. I have been using the MOXF8 for about 4 years now and before that the ES series. One of the main reasons I stay with the Motif is the ability to migrate all the work I have done with voices, performances, samples etc. In the majority of my master slots I have performances where there are usually 3-4 voices spread about the keyboard some containing loaded samples from my flash card.
I just placed an order for the MODXF8 and have to start thinking about how to get my over 100 performances and 2 banks of custom voices into the new MODX performance only paradigm.
Is there a detailed application and (or utility) describing how to:

1. Load Moxf8 voices that contain samples into single part performances.
2. Load my 2 banks of MOXF performances which previously pointed to USR voices in the MOXF and now must point to these single performances. (as well as the linked sample waveforms)
3. What is the equivalent of the MOXF "master mode" so that I can scroll through a MODX set of performances which represent a set list? I typically use up to 50 performances a night.
4. What utility will I use with the MODx for taking wav samples and making a waveform/ keybank out of it like I did with the Melas waveform editor.

I obviously plan on doing some homework as the documentation is available, but wanted to start getting your opinion on the best way to proceed.

Thanks,

Mitch

Posted : 17/09/2018 11:53 pm

I plan to do the same from MOXF6 once I order an MODX7 (within the month or so). I also have data in a Motif XF7.

1. Data from my MOXF6 and Motif XF7 is 95% (disregarding format differences).
- Anyone recommend easiest way to get the combined data set into one Library in MODX?

2. Look forward to detailed info/guidance/instructions on OP's ask. thanks all in advance.

Posted : 18/09/2018 6:40 pm
Bad Mister

Hi Mitch, David,
You will not have to manually point Performances to User Voices... that is not how the MODX works at all. Imagine it has enough internal memory so that you don’t have to “point to” or reference a Voice, any longer. As you may have heard, there is no Voice Mode. Each time you use ‘what was’ a Voice in a setup, it is a unique version of that data. There is enough internal memory in MODX so that each “Part”, in each Performance, is unique - it is not referencing Voice parameter data in another location.

1. Load Moxf8 voices that contain samples into single part performances.
2. Load my 2 banks of MOXF performances which previously pointed to USR voices in the MOXF and now must point to these single performances. (as well as the linked sample waveforms)

The MODX will read, translate and convert your MOXF data. From an ALL data file (.X6A) your compatible items are the Voices/Performances, Waveforms (except for certain copy protected data), and Arpeggios. You can opt to Load Voices or Performances by setting the “Import Option” prior to loading.

When loading MOXF data to MODX, if you set the IMPORT OPTION = “VOICE” - This will Load the 384 MOXF User Voices and 32 User Drum Kits from your .X6A File. This will load all the Voices as Single Part MODX Performances, it will Load all the Waveforms, and all the User Arpeggios.

Or you could set the Load IMPORT OPTION = “PERF” - This will Load the 256 MOXF Performances, (doing so includes the Voices used in those Performances, the Waveforms, and the Arpeggios), from your .X6A File. This will load all the Performances as they loaded into MOXF, it will Load all the Waveforms, and all the User Arpeggios.

Not compatible: The Song Mixing and Pattern Mixing setups are not compatible data, but any User Waveforms used in a Song or Pattern will appear as an unattached Waveform when loaded to MODX. The Song and Pattern MIDI Event data should be saved from the MOXF as SMF (Standard MIDI Files) in .mid format. (You will need to rebuild your MIXING setups... there is no compatibility between how the MIXING setups were constructed and the new MODX). Mixing setups in the MOXF “referenced” Voice locations, and as you know there are no Voice locations...

MOXF .X6A Files will load directly (temporarily) to an onboard ROM Library location. This will allow you to play through and audition them.

You will then use the MODX “Library Import” feature to mark the items you want to keep... and you will import these “keepers” to the MODX internal User Bank. It is in this internal MODX User Bank that you construct your permanent Library data.

Because all of the MOXF Preset Voices are already contained in your MODX, there will be no reason to duplicate them as Single Part Performances.

You’d import any custom programs to the MODX internal USER BANK. Unlike the MOXF, the MODX User Bank is empty initially. It has 0 out of 640 locations occupied when you start. In fact, when constructing your own Libraries, you clear all data from the MODX User Bank and assemble everything in that Bank. The MOXF always had “placeholder” data occupying each Voice and each Performance... the MODX has none initially and as you add items, it will keep count for you...

You would use “Library Import” to *mark* each MOXF Voice and MOXF Performance you wish to transfer to your MODX... recognizing that each imported item need only be imported as you wish to use it. If you have custom Waveform data that you use in a Performance, you just need to import the Performance (because everything used to make it sound will automatically be imported).

In other words, you do not have to import the Voices and then build the Performance... if the Waveform is used in a Voice that has been assigned to a Part of an imported Performance, then there is no need to additionally import the individual Voice. Just import the Performance everything comes along with it.

That’s one of the main differences in the architecture... there are no more Voices really... what was a Voice is now a Part... stored locally within the 16-Part program. It’s similar to having loads and loads of “Mixing Voices” (to use MOXF terminology).

3. What is the equivalent of the MOXF "master mode" so that I can scroll through a MODX set of performances which represent a set list? I typically use up to 50 performances a night.

Master Mode has been completely overhauled. The “play order/Set List” function and the transmit Out via MIDI function have been separated.

Your use of the MOXF Master Mode was one of creating a “set list”. This is now handled in MODX by the “LIVE SET”. The other use of the MOXF Master Mode was communicating Out via MIDI (which is now handled in the MODX by the Zone Master Function... instead of being a separate Mode, the Zone functions exist within each Performance).

“LIVE SET”: This is a user configurable selection order for your Performances. You can advance through them via buttons, the screen or a Foot Switch Set to ‘Live Set advance’. You have 256 slots per each listing and you can create 8 User Lists, each with the 256 slots... so 50 will not be a problem.

If your Set List changes nightly or you never know what’s coming up next, external solutions include the SOUNDMONDO MONTAGE App (free) for iOS devices... tap the icon for each Performance setup > play. You can literally drag the Performance icons on the screen to reorder the set...

4. What utility will I use with the MODx for taking wav samples and making a waveform/ keybank out of it like I did with the Melas waveform editor.

You’ll be able to use the Melas MONTAGE Waveform Editor for the most elegant manipulation of your data (you can do it onboard MODX, but if you are familiar with the Melas software, then I don’t have to tell you how elegant the workflow is)!
You basically work with the data on your computer and the result of your work is a file you can Load directly to your instrument.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 19/09/2018 12:16 am
Topic starter

Phil,

Kudo's to Yamaha for such a well thought out scheme and thanks for your detailed explanation. I ordered mine the day it was announced and can't wait to use it at the the next gig. I keep checking my email for the shipping notice like a little kid!

-Mitch

Posted : 19/09/2018 1:13 am
 Mark

Hi Phil and Yamaha,
I have/had numerous Yamaha keyboards over the past years MOX,CP4,MOXF and now the proud owner of a MODX8. Congratulations and further Kudos to Yamaha on a great keyboard, marketing and distribution as simultaneous Worldwide distribution seemed to happen with this product.I live in Sydney Australia and was pleasantly surprised to find we here had this product released at the same time as USA and Europe!! We usually wait another 6 months for new products to be released.

A further question for Phil following this thread "on migrating MOXF data and performances to MODX"

I have had my MOXF8 for a few years now, love it and updated to the MODX8 this week and part of my reason is the same as Mitch's
i.e "One of the main reasons I stay with the Motif is the ability to migrate all the work I have done with voices, performances, samples etc. In the majority of my master slots I have performances where there are usually 3-4 voices spread about the keyboard some containing loaded samples from my flash card". I have the 1GB expansion flash card in my MOXF.

I have via the Motifator site purchased various 3rd party MOXF sound libraries specifically DCP Productions B's Knees and Vintage keys as well as the Motif 10 Anniversary Special pack, and Chic Corea's Mk V Rhodes.
Phil I have read your reply to Mitch and would just like your advice and a clarification:-
1. If I also want to migrate these 3rd party voice libraries to my new MODX as I use them in my USER bank performances.So what is the ordered procedure to transfer/load these from MOXF to MODX?
2. Then next step I assume is as your above reply to migrate personalised MOXF User Performances?
Just checking if there is a detailed application and (or utility) describing how to do this, as like all new products here is another "learning curve"

P.S On the Motifator site will a forum for MODX be in the pipeline?

Hope you can assist
Regards
Mark:D

Posted : 25/09/2018 9:39 am
Bad Mister

1. If I also want to migrate these 3rd party voice libraries to my new MODX as I use them in my USER bank performances.So what is the ordered procedure to transfer/load these from MOXF to MODX?

Place the USB stick in the USB “TO DEVICE" slot.
Press [UTILITY]
Touch “Contents” > “Load”
Set the “Content Type” = Library File or User File
Touch the box in the screen that shows your USB stick to open it an reveal the contents
Your MODX will see the MOXF data that can be loaded. This includes .X6A (ALL data files), .X6V (ALL VOICE data files), .X6G (ARPEGGIO Files), .X6W (WAVEFORM Files), .X6E (MOXF6/MOXF8 EDITOR Files).

If you opt to Load from the .X6A (ALL data file) you can select “IMPORT OPTION” = VOICE... this will load all 384 MOXF User Normal Voices and the 32 User Drum Voices... and will include all Waveforms, Arpeggios
If you set the “IMPORT OPTION” = PERF... this will load all 256 MOXF Performances... and this will load all Waveforms, Arpeggios.

Loading as a Library File would be done if you want to “select” which data you want to keep. This overwrites nothing.
Loading as a User File would mean you could DELETE unwanted data, but loading an MOXF ALL File replaces “all” data in the User Bank.

This is not a bad thing, but you must be aware of this... because the role of the User Bank is the “assembly area” for creating a Library. Think of the Library as ROM memory for your collections of data. It is analogous to creating your own Custom “Presets”.

2. Then next step I assume is as your above reply to migrate personalised MOXF User Performances?
Just checking if there is a detailed application and (or utility) describing how to do this, as like all new products here is another "learning curve"

But the good news is you already know most of what makes the MODX work. And you can apply much of your accumulated knowledge of working with the MOXF to MODX. It’s a matter of getting used to the navigation.

I highly recommend you that to migrate successfully:
Assemble all your MOXF .X6A Files... this will handle Voices, Performances, Arps, Waveforms.
What is not compatible (and presents the most manual work would be your SONG/PATTERN MIXING setups... if you capture each in an Editor File. (.X6E) you will have a reference to reconstruct your MIXING setups.
Save all Sequence data as SMF (Standard MIDI Files) .mid
That means each Song as a .mid File
Each Pattern Section as a .mid File

P.S On the Motifator site will a forum for MODX be in the pipeline?

This is the Official YAMAHA SYNTH site for all things Yamaha Synthesizers.
The sites for sounds, etc., www.YamahaMusicSoft.com
www.easysounds.de
The Facebook site is www.facebook.com/YamahaSynths (plural: with an ‘s’)

I have no idea about Motifator... you’ll need to ask them.

Thanks for the kind words, and welcome to MODX world!
You are going to love it. When we say the MODX is more powerful than the MOXF, it is by a factor of several times more powerful. You can store 640 Performances in the User Bank (along with all the data that makes them work). Each User Bank can be installed as a Library.

A Library includes as many as 640 Performances, including all the Waveforms (up to 2048), Arpeggios (up to 256), Motion Sequences (up to 256), Live Set (up to 2048 slots), Curves (up to 32) MicroTunings (up to 8) ... that make these Performances work.

And you can have 8 Libraries!

Posted : 25/09/2018 11:33 am
 Mark

Hi,
Recently purchased a MODX8 and also own a MOXF8.Still having problems following the transfer/migration of Performances from MOXF to MODX format despite Bad Mister's reply.
Please excuse my lack of tech knowledge as I am having trouble with "a new learning curve on a new instrument"- BUT I am an avid user /owner of Yamaha keyboards from DX& and CP70 days in the 80s:(

Basically in the majority of my performances on the MOXF I have usually use 3-4 voices spread about the keyboard some "voices" layered and others split using MOFX terminology.

E.g a Typical MOXF performance I used for various specific songs ( where limited to 4 parts/voices) using Part 1:- Acoustic Piano, Part 2:-a favourite Rhodes or Wurlie sound , Part 3:- a Hammond B3 sound, Part 4:- Brass/ Strings or Synth
If I was constructing a similar Performance on the MODX.
1. Am I limited to 4 Parts as was in the case with the Moxf ? Or More on the MODX?
2. Can you please explain how to setup a similar performance as per above example on the MODX with step by step instructions?
3. I basically want to use the 4 sliders on the MODX to control volumes of my 4 parts ( or more parts if I am able to on the MODX and use parts 5-8) as per above example
- piano, rhodes, organ, brass/strings/synth for realtime mixing within a song sections e.g Verse, chorus etc in a live band performance
4.If I want to use e.g the better quality MODX CFX Pop/Rock piano to replace Studio Grand from Mofx as the CFX Pop/Rock piano has 3 active parts/elements 1,2 and 4 how does this relate or work with what I have been doing live on my Moxf? And how do I add the other 3 or more parts that I may require Rhodes,Organ , brass/strings

PS.I also own a Roland RD2000 keyboard and have created similar Song Performance set ups with it using sliders 1-8 controlling a combination of Internal and external sounds BUT find this keyboard too heavy and wide for many many stage setups and purchased the Yamaha MODX as a more lightweight master keyboard.
Hopefully you can understand my questions and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Mark

Posted : 26/09/2018 11:24 am
Bad Mister

a Typical MOXF performance I used for various specific songs ( where limited to 4 parts/voices) using Part 1:- Acoustic Piano, Part 2:-a favourite Rhodes or Wurlie sound , Part 3:- a Hammond B3 sound, Part 4:- Brass/ Strings or Synth
If I was constructing a similar Performance on the MODX.

1. Am I limited to 4 Parts as was in the case with the Moxf ? Or More on the MODX?

You are limited to 8 Parts that can be triggered simultaneously. Study the Factory Performances... Parts 1-8 have the ability to be linked for simultaneous play. You will see a green (active) icon "KBD CTRL" for each Part that is under your direct control via playing the Keys. Any Part in a Performance without the green "KBD CTRL" icon must be *selected* directly in order for you to trigger it with the Keys.

2. Can you please explain how to setup a similar performance as per above example on the MODX with step by step instructions?

I could, but you should really additionally spend a few hours with the Owner's Manual - as it will connect a lot of the dots for you... particular navigation tips....

Press [CATEGORY] to begin the search.
Touch "INIT"
Touch "Init Normal (AWM2)"
This creates a Single Part Performance (if you know MOXF, it starts you with an initialized program with Single sound using Waveform 0001, an acoustic piano Waveform with an organ Envelope.

Press [PERFORMANCE (HOME)]
You will now build your Performance by substituting the sounds you wish to use. Your four choices don't really make sense to play simultaneously (I don't like getting into evaluating choices but I'm going to assume that you do not play all four of these at once, layered... so without any info from you, I'm just going to assume you wish to be able to access these sounds either one at a time or in specific combinations.

I can't say it enough there is no one way to proceed... so what follows is just one suggestion.

Select the instruments you would like to play:
In the screen touch the "Type/Name" box of Part 1
A pop-in menu appears, touch "Category Search" for Part 1
The screen will show "Part1 - Category Search"

Touch "Bank" > select "Preset"
Touch "Attribute" select "Single" (Single Parts appear in the search engine in green)

This will limit your search to "Single" Parts (highly recommended you begin with Single Part programs; Reason: you should learn how layers are built before you attempt to layer with layered sounds... a walk before you run thing)

Touch "Piano"
Select "CFX Stage"
Press [EXIT] to return to the HOME screen

Touch the "+" in Part 2 to 'add' a second Part
Touch "Attribute" = Single
Touch "Keyboard" > "Electric Piano" > select "Vintage'74"

Touch the "+" in Part 3 to add another instrument
Set "Attribute" = Single
Touch "Organ" > "Tone Wheel" > select "8.8.8.8.6.2.2.0.0"

Touch the "+" in Part 4 to add another instrument
Set "Attribute" = Single
Touch "Strings" > select "St Ensemble K"
Press [EXIT] to return to the HOME screen.

Our four selections are now layered (all playing across all keys at all times) you could use the Sliders 1-4 to mix the Volumes as you need them. As you will discover you can transition to these sounds in a myriad of ways...

You will discover, perhaps, the MODX offers some new ways to proceed with what you want to accomplish (and that's the fun stuff).

3. I basically want to use the 4 sliders on the MODX to control volumes of my 4 parts ( or more parts if I am able to on the MODX and use parts 5-8) as per above example
- piano, rhodes, organ, brass/strings/synth for realtime mixing within a song sections e.g Verse, chorus etc in a live band performance

Done. You could add 12 more Parts to this Performance following the steps we've covered... but remember while a Performance can have 16 Parts, you can trigger 8 of them simultaneously. Again forgive me but I am assuming you wish to switch instruments, not play all simultaneously. So you will want to spend some time with the Manuals and our tutorial articles here on YamahaSynth, to find the most efficient way to setup for your situation.

As long as you are on the HOME screen with the cursor highlighting the Performance Name (a condition called "Part Control" ) your Sliders will be individual Part Volume controls. However, as you'll learn, when/if you directly *select* an individual Part the Sliders become individual Element/Operator Level controls. So for example, when you are ready to play the B3 sound you can use the Sliders as pseudo drawbars. (More on that in a moment).

Suggestion: You can setup the red SCENE buttons to switch between sounds. You could even setup different scenarios as you may require.
For example, SCENE 1 might be acoustic piano alone
SCENE 2 might be the electric piano alone
SCENE 3 might recall the acoustic piano layered with the electric piano
SCENE 4 might recall B3
SCENE 5 might recall the strings
SCENE 6 might be electric piano layered with strings
SCENE 7 might be acoustic piano layered with strings
SCENE 8 might be anything/combination you require.

Btw- the String sound "St Ensemble K" has a brass ensemble when you raise the MW (yes, Single Part sounds can be layers... but don't let that hurt your head! You can construct what you need... I highly recommend you spend some time with the Owners and Reference Manuals, and the online tutorials before just continuing to work as you did in MOXF.

Our engineers and staff have gathered much information about how synths like this are used on stage. You'll find that there are scores of ways to accomplish things, some previously unavailable in keyboard synths.

Example, using a Yamaha FC7 pedal plugged into the Foot Controller 2 jack... you can morph between instrument setups, hands-free... as it can assigned to move the Super Knob. The Super Knob can be assigned to change scores of parameters in realtime - in ways you can't even imagine.

4.If I want to use e.g the better quality MODX CFX Pop/Rock piano to replace Studio Grand from Mofx as the CFX Pop/Rock piano has 3 active parts/elements 1,2 and 4 how does this relate or work with what I have been doing live on my Moxf? And how do I add the other 3 or more parts that I may require Rhodes,Organ , brass/strings

There is no "quality" difference in the MODX pianos... I think what you are referring to is there are pianos with more velocity switches, which makes for more nuance and detail.

"CFX Concert" is an 18 Element acoustic piano, with 9-way velocity switches on the main body of the piano, and an 8-way velocity switch in the high (undampered) region of the piano, plus a KeyOff Sound (dampers falling back in place on the body strings)
"CFX Stage" is an 8 Element version of this acoustic piano.

In general, use the 18 Element in situations where the acoustic piano is featured and the nuance in the soft, medium soft, medium, and medium loud ranges can be appreciated. It makes no sense to use this piano if playing a song that requires you bang out power chords, if you get my meaning. No law against it but you have other options.

Alternate Method Example: by deactivating the "KBD CTRL" icons, each Part is individually selectable, this is another way to work. As you select a Part, it will play (very much like a MIXING setup in your old MOXF) as you move the cursor to highlight a Part just that Part will sound.

Thanks for the questions. Hope that helps get you started. If you get stuck or have other questions on this, post back by starting your own thread... this way it doesn't get lost at the bottom of someone else's question.

Posted : 26/09/2018 2:17 pm
 Mark

Hi Phil,and other MODX users
Thanks for your response, patience and assistance.
As suggested I will do some manual reading and homework and follow your suggestions and explanation.
Regards
Mark

Posted : 27/09/2018 8:16 am
Topic starter

Phil,

I receive my MODX8 tomorrow and am preparing my migration strategy. I think I am getting a handle on the USER/LIB architecture, but I would like to get your thoughts on potential waveform memory usage.

1. Since it seems like performances "keep" the waveform data as part of their structure, what happens to memory usage when a performance with a large waveform memory footprint is duplicated in the User area and then potentially in several libraries? I just want to make sure I am not inadvertently storing multiple copies of the same waveform data because of how I choose to set up my libraries.

2. If I choose to load to "LIB" from my .X6A, does the lib have to pre exist or is this LIB storage separate from the 8 library banks.

3. Lastly, The effects are a large part of my programming. Can I assume that the MODXF effects are compatible with their MOXF counterparts and that parameter tweaks will also import over?

Thanks again,

Mitch

Posted : 28/09/2018 3:19 pm

I purchased the Playkeyz Vol. 2 Library (Motif format), loaded the the X6A file, first with the Voices option selected, then with the Performances option selected. Neither result came close to the list of Performances. In both attempts, I got a mix of individual parts, some of which had some names that reflected several expected sounds from the library, along with a bunch of other Motif sounds and drum kits that don't seem related to the library. For examples: Some of the parts were missing entirely; for some of the parts originally with Arp data, there was no sound with the Arp button set to On, and the Arp data field was empty in the Performance editor (which explains the "no sound") then some of the parts with Arp data did generate sound with Arp = On, and have named Arp data in the Performance editor, but not the correct Arp for the actual part (like it defaulted to something other than the original/correct Arp data). Is there another library file format, or any other import options I can use to get closer to the original Motif library?

Posted : 12/04/2019 1:40 am

I have converted the PlayKeyz 80s vol 1 and 2 for a friend of mine who wanted them combined but did not have the Melas software to do it. He provided me with the Motif XS version of the libraries (X0A) and they loaded successfully on my MODX, both volume 1 and 2, with the arpeggios in vol 2 playing correctly (as far as I can tell). My friend also confirmed that everything looks OK after checking the file on his MODX (and hasn't bothered me more :)).

As far as the sounds that don't seem to belong to the library, this is how almost all manufacturers are producing their libraries for the Motif series - they add their user voices/performances and they keep the rest of the original user "dummy" placeholder voices as well. Naturally, all of these are imported when you load the file in Montage/MODX.
Maybe you should contact PlayKeyz directly and see if they can provide you with a library that will load correctly in your Montage/MODX?

Posted : 12/04/2019 7:59 am
Bad Mister

@ Mitch

1. Since it seems like performances "keep" the waveform data as part of their structure, what happens to memory usage when a performance with a large waveform memory footprint is duplicated in the User area and then potentially in several libraries? I just want to make sure I am not inadvertently storing multiple copies of the same waveform data because of how I choose to set up my libraries.

Each Library that you convert from previous compatible products comes with documentation. Find that document. If the file was from the Motif XS (.X0A) it will contain 384 Voices, from the Motif XF (.X3A) it will contain 512 Voices, if the File is a MOXF (.X6A) it will contain 384 Voices... most of the Voices already exist as Single Part Performances among the Factory Presets. Most commercially distributed (legacy product) Libraries contain far less Voices (usually 128 is a Bank maximum) — meaning just one of the Banks of 128 contains the actual new custom data, the rest are “placeholder” Voices that just hold a slot.

The MONTAGE/MODX will load all of the sounds, if you want to avoid duplicating all the placeholder stuff, you should:
__ Load the legacy file (.X6A) to the MODX USER Bank.
__ Go through the User Bank — you will be removing all data except items you want to put in your version of a MODX Library File - which you will create. (Below we’ll show you how to find the new custom data)
__ Then, once you have removed those Voices that would be duplicated, SAVE that new custom User Bank as a "Contents Type" = "LIBRARY FILE".
__ Place this, your newly trimmed down, duplicate free, version of the data, in one of your eight Library locations. You do so by LOADING it.

2. If I choose to load to "LIB" from my .X6A, does the lib have to pre exist or is this LIB storage separate from the 8 library banks.

A .X6A File is a MOXF All Data File... it will have 3x128 Normal Voices (384) plus 32 Drum Kit Voices or 416/640 in your MODX... but they will need to be *converted* when loaded from a .X6A File.

Most of those 416 MOXF Voices will be converted as Single Part programs which can already be found in your MODX. If you load a MOXF directly as a Library File, this initial load just *converts* the data, then you need to go through that loaded data, pick out the new custom data, copy it to User using the “Library Import” routine. Then Save a Library in MODX Format. You do this because it takes about twice as long to convert a MOXF File, compared to loading a file made on the MODX in MODX format (plus you will have trimmed the fat, all those duplicated “placeholders”.

So (this is why) I recommend you simply load directly to User, and delete all but the ‘money sounds’ (the ones you paid for)... then make your Library File (saves a step).

3. Lastly, The effects are a large part of my programming. Can I assume that the MODXF effects are compatible with their MOXF counterparts and that parameter tweaks will also import over?

Yes.

EXTRA CREDIT:
The MOXF listed User Bank Voices as USER 1, USER 2, USER 3 and UDR (User Drum). 128 sounds in each Normal Bank and 32 DrumKit Voices.
One of those Normal User Voice Banks will be designated as the USER BANK where the author of the file placed the *new* custom data.
Sometimes these Libraries would put the new stuff in User 1, some put the data in User 2, still others in User 3. It would depend on whether they stored the initial data in a way that wouldn’t interfere with other data in those legacy products.

You want to then locate the new data in your MODX, here’s how:
Load the legacy File initially to your User Bank.
Once loaded, from the HOME screen, press [CATEGORY]
Set the Bank to “User”...
The search will show you just these USER BANK items
Use the sort options along the bottom of the screen to sort the data by "Default"
This will place them in the order they would be listed in the MODX USER 1, (A01) first, and UDR (B16) last.

If you have the list of Voices that came with the data, Type in the first Voice in Search box upper right.
This will locate it.
On the HOME screen, tap the Performance Name box to see the pop-in menu
Touch “Property” — this will identify the USER Bank number and program number, 1-128.

Once you have identified the first on the Voice List, you can go about making your selections about which you are going to keep...
Navigate to the Performance Folder (which will be a record of all Performance currently in your MODX USER Bank
Press [UTILITY] > Touch "Contents" > "Data Utility" > touch the PERFORMANCE Folder
In the folder - tap the DATE item twice to resort them in the default order...

You can now touch "JOB" in the upper right corner. Turns green when active. This will allow to select multiple items.
Tap "Select All" This places a check mark next to all User Bank programs
you can see 416/416 are selected for deletion...
You can now go through and find the 128 or so, that you actually want to keep. And unCheck them!!!
If the author loaded them into USER 1 in the MOXF they will appear as the first 128
If the author loaded them into USER 2 in the MOXF they will appear as the second 128
and so on.
Uncheck those you want to KEEP
Then tap "DELETE" to discard the duplicates.

Review your work by returning to the HOME screen and recalling the MODX USER Bank
Press [CATEGORY]
Set the “Bank” = User
Play through the Bank ensuring it is as you desire.

Press [UTILITY] > "Contents" > "Store/Save" > Set the Content Type = "Library File"
Be sure to Name your Library appropriately so you know what it is... the MODX will add the extension .X7L to it, signifying that this is a type of file that will install to one of your eight Library locations.
Finally, you can Initialize the User Bank.
Load your new Library. Keep the file in a safe place.

Posted : 12/04/2019 12:59 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us