Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MODX 8 problem revisited

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I found out more about an earlier problem I posted here ‘MODX FROZE ON ME’ was the topic. I’ve found that it wasn’t related to the patches specifically as it happens on all of them. I found that playing hard to moderately hard will trigger the fault. The screen goes completely dark and hangs the synthesizer requiring a power on/off cycle to recover. I spoke briefly with a local repairman over the phone and he suggested a possible cause of some internal power issue. I think it may be also possibly related to something loose component or connection inside the keyboard that may be making contact with something it shouldn’t. I suspect more of a mechanical issue as the problem doesn’t happen when I use an external controller keyboard. Even when I first reported my problem in an earlier post, I do remember mentioning ‘playing aggressively’ so it’s definitely related to the first problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

**Edit Update***
Looks like the repair guy was right after all. The problem is power related. I relocated the power to another outlet after realizing that there was simply too much plugged into that original load. First thing I did was isolate it all by itself with its own outlet, banged on the keys as hard as I could without breaking the thing and voila, no lockup. I guess I’m too used to using older keyboards that weren’t as sensitive. Not surprising with all the things these new keyboards can do that power is definitely going to be something to pay attention to. I still need to get this thing its own voltage regulation though now that I know power is really a prime issue. I would definitely advise other users to make sure to take care and feed this thing the cleanest and most stable power you can - especially those of you who play out live.

Thanks

Posted : 02/01/2019 5:56 am
Leon
 Leon
Eminent Member

Since first day of owning Montage and later Kronos(gone now) I had UPS hooked not that Montage was affected but you would be suprised how Kronos was affected if power was not stable so for the money we spend on keyboards UPS is pocket change.

Posted : 02/01/2019 11:07 pm
Topic starter

If I was going to use an UPS, it would prefer that it be the online type where the load is completely on battery power 100% of the time (as opposed to the standby units). It would’nt need to be a very big one, since it only needs to be on long enough after a power interruption to shut down the synth and provide power stability at the same time.

As for your experiences with the Kronos, I’m curious as to how specifically it was affected by the unstable power. Was it similar to what I was getting?

Posted : 02/01/2019 11:44 pm
Leon
 Leon
Eminent Member

Kronos would go mad i.e note hanging screen not responding mind you I did happen only twice so not something I was worried but if you play in the live band one freeze is more than enough .

Posted : 03/01/2019 10:48 pm
Topic starter

Sounds exactly like my symptoms. Do you remember how or what you were playing at the time? I was hitting the keys fairly hard. And yes, one freeze in a live environment is one too many.

Posted : 04/01/2019 8:42 am
Leon
 Leon
Eminent Member

If it freezes when you hit hard a particular key or area then it must be a physical malfunction. .

Posted : 04/01/2019 6:33 pm
Topic starter

If it freezes when you hit hard a particular key or area then it must be a physical malfunction. .

It stopped doing it when I changed to another outlet. As I mentioned earlier, after changing to a different outlet, I banged pretty hard on the keys - up and down the length of the keyboard and didn’t have the problem. If there was a physical malfunction, it definitely would’ve manifested itself then.

Posted : 05/01/2019 10:18 am
Leon
 Leon
Eminent Member

In that case UPS is your solution .

Posted : 05/01/2019 9:40 pm
Topic starter

Yes, I’ve decided on an APC BE-425. It’s under $100 and should work fine.

Posted : 06/01/2019 12:28 am

Hello friends, I also have the yamaha modx6 and yesterday in full presentation it occurred to me that the keyboard was frozen and did not respond any function choose to turn it off and on and normal it worked wanted to know if ah you no longer have given them the same error and which was the solution ?? software or drivers or an energy issue? I await your answers goodbye.

Posted : 18/01/2020 5:09 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us