Clear all

MODX Connect - time out error 🙁

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Vic
Topic starter

Hello everyone,

I spent couple of days trying to figure it out and checked all the forums but no result.

I have MacOS 13.6
MODX 2.5.0 firmware
latest usb driver 2.0.5
latest connect 1.1.0

in MODX Connect I do see device (MODX) but firmware is blank and time our error ...

tried everything I could - but nothing works.

*midi via USB works fine
**I do not use modx as audio interface

what else can I try to make it work ?

Thank you!

Posted : 16/10/2021 2:32 pm
Bad Mister

It is important to match your Macintosh Operating System and the version of the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver.

“The latest” Driver does NOT necessarily include your version of MacOS.

For example if your Mac is running OSX OS 10.x you require the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver 2.0.5
If your Mac is one of the brand new ones with Mac OS 11 you then require the latest Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver v3.0.5 for the new Mac chipset. This version of the Driver is only for the newest Macintosh computers… and will not work for Macs running MacOSX (10.xx)

Double check your MacOS, (afaik) 13.6 is still quite away off. In other words you probably have an Mac with OS 10.xx
Make sure a bright blue USB icon is showing on the very top line of your MODX screen — indicates solid communication between the synth and the computer.
[UTILITY] > “Settings” > “MIDI I/O” > make sure MIDI I/O = USB (green) is active.
If the bright blue USB icon does not appear on the MODX screen or if it is flashing on/off, reconnect the USB cable directly to your computer to re-establish a solid connection (avoid hubs).

Launch MODX CONNECT > click on “SETUP” > select “MODX”

Let us know. The “Time Out” Error message specifically appears when the USB connection between the hardware (MODX) and the software (MODX CONNECT) cannot be established.
Actually displaying an error message is often misinterpreted as a bad installation. It isn’t, actually being a specific error message, that only appears in this instance. The connection is two-way: a request was made… the expected response was not received. Indicating where to troubleshoot the issue. (Connectivity).
A “Firmware Mismatch” error would appear if your hardware and the MODX CONNECT software were not correct. Here a request is made… a response is received but it an unexpected or wrong response; again this tells you where to troubleshoot: match the software version with the hardware’s firmware version.

Posted : 17/10/2021 10:58 am
Reputable Member

Maybe I ask here by the way. What MODX Connect can save? If I use Performance in user memory or as Library memory and delete this
(the presets without user data like wav/aif) MODX Connect can keep this data or lose it? And if I exchange placement MSB/LSB or rename banks...

Posted : 17/10/2021 11:42 am
Bad Mister

Maybe I ask here by the way. What MODX Connect can save? If I use Performance in user memory or as Library memory and delete this
(the presets without user data like wav/aif) MODX Connect can keep this data or lose it? And if I exchange placement MSB/LSB or rename banks...

MODX CONNECT is an application that can run on a Windows or Macintosh computer, as a standalone software, or as VST or AU plugin, literally inside the DAW.

It connects the hardware (MODX) to the computer via USB-MIDI. It communicates bi-directionally so that all the parameter settings of the current Performance can be captured and restored quickly — for this task it uses a MIDI protocol referred to as “Bulk Dump”.

To answer the question about wav/aif data: no, MODX CONNECT does not move any Waveform or Sample (Audio) data.

To understand why is to understand the role of FLASH MEMORY in the first place. The 1GB of Flash Memory is provided so the User can create a reference set of Waveforms. The Factory Waveform set includes 5.67GB of data… you are given an additional 1GB to place Waveforms of your choosing to expand the factory Waveform set.

Each Waveform, whether installed by Yamaha (at the factory) or those you choose to add by creating a “Library File”, then installing that Library to your FLASH Memory; each Waveform has a specific “address”… when an AWM2 Part is accessed by a Performance program, the AWM2 Element “points to” the Library (references the) ROM location that contains the correct Waveform and Sample data. Rather than attaching the audio data which could be tens or hundreds of thousands of times the size of synth parameters that shape it

Why is it like this… there are several Factory Presets made from the factory CFX Waveform data…. You do need to repeat the audio, each Part you make can reference the CFX data location in Read Only Memory… he Waveform list is a catalog of locations.

Say you installed the Bosendorfer Library — the Waveform and Sample (Audio data) is 400MB of audio data.
Each of the sixteen Performances that come with that Library use the same 400MB of audio data… because this is efficient!

The parameters that create the entire Performance Part is about 2KB of data… (because it does not include the actual audio)

You can see why the “points to” or referencing to a ROM location is established between the small parameter data and the humongous amounts of audio data.
If you edited and attempted to BULK DUMP the Performance with audio (not possible) — it would not only take way too long but would wind up being a wasteful endeavor in terms of data duplication.

A Bulk Dump of the Performance + the references that ‘point to’ AWM2 data is about 2,000 Btyes
A Bulk Dump of the Performance + the actual audio data would be approximately 400,002,000 Bytes each.

As you can see not practical (at least at this time in technology… if/when a practical method of managing massive audio data is developed you can be sure it will make it into music gear.

MODX CONNECT has options to move data from the SONG and the PATTERN “Data Utility” Folders on the MODX directly to your computer via the USB cable connection. Even MIDI File are not sent by BULK DUMP due to potential size. A very involved MIDI sequence with 16 Tracks, controllers, etc can approach 100KB of data. MODX sequencer let’s you STORE your internal Sequencer data in Standard MIDI File format (.mid) allow you you move the Sequence Track data to virtually any other MIDI compatible sequencer on the planet… even drag and drop it into Cubase.

When run inside the DAW, you can have MODX CONNECT automatically SAVE when you Save your DAW data, and faithfully reStore your Performance to the edit buffer of your MODX.

We get this question often.. with data sizes, and given the different standard protocols for data, this is an efficient way to manage a very complex issue.
If AWM2 (sampled audio) Oscillator data was not so very large when compared to the synth parameters that shape it into a playable sound… it could all be easy to do. Currently the most effective way to use sampled audio as synthesizer oscillator results in massive amounts of data. Every minute of stereo audio data generates approx. 10MB of data at 44.1kHz.

Posted : 17/10/2021 5:36 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us