Clear all

Modx key problem when it rains / No rain on modx / outdoor playing

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Erik
Topic starter

Hi,

This summer I perform on an outdoor stage every weekend with my modx. A few weeks back it began to rain, not a problem because the band is on a stage with a roof, no heavy rain on the stage, maybe one little drop on the casing. After the rain was stopped a problem occurred: D keys and Ab keys will hang, for example when I play a D and than the C#, the D won’t stop sounding and I get 2 notes sounding, same with Ab and G. It occurred when I play legato, when I play them separately there is no problem. The problem is over the whole keybed with D and C# and Ab and G. When I came home in the evening the problem was still there, next morning no problem any more. I have played now for a few weeks and every time when it will start to rain the problem occurred when it’s sunny, no problem. Has anyone else this problem and who knows what the problem can be?

I will contact a service centre after august because than the gigs are done and I can do without my keys, but I want to know if it’s a problem for all modx users (production flaw) or just mine modx.

Thanks

Posted : 18/08/2019 8:08 am
Bad Mister

Contact the Service Center have them look at... I doubt if the the MODX is aware of the rain. Unless it is getting wet...(I assume your comment about the one little drop on the casing, means it got wet). Moisture and Humidity could be a potential factor, (in general, electronics and water are a bad combination) but I’ve never heard of this reaction to humidity. But a thorough going over by a qualified technician would be your best bet for an answer. Please let us know.

I want to know if it’s a problem for all modx users (production flaw) or just mine modx.

Certainly not.

Posted : 20/08/2019 9:27 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

FYI - I do not have information for MODX specifically - but Montage is tested to operate 5-35C and 45-85% RH (relative humidity). Stretch goal is 20-90% RH and 5-40C.

Exceeding between 85-90% RH you may start to expect operational issues are due to environmentals.

Posted : 20/08/2019 11:03 am
 Erik
Topic starter

Thanks for the replies, I called a service centre today and they thought it has to do with the flat cables but he has to examine to know for sure. I bring the modx next week to the service centre. When I know what the problem was, I will share the solution.

Thanks!

Posted : 20/08/2019 6:21 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

It doesn't surprise me interconnect would be a theory given past issues with different products. Yes, unrelated. However - things like interconnect are less variable and would tend to be leveraged. And/or share a common means of failure even if the exact same part was not used.

Source: https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/montage-screen-problems#reply-84092

Not the same product line - but a DGX consumer grade screen exhibits the same kind of issue and is related to susceptibility to failure at the ribbon cable-to-LCD connection. This looks like a similar issue. The DGX one was widespread with many users (including me) noticing the failure after 5 or so years of ownership. For that product the screen is not necessarily required - so dealing with it (certainly that instrument is way out of warranty) is livable. Hopefully your screen does not represent one edge of a failure bell curve where others will see this in mass later.

That other DGX issue also seemed related to environmentals. Higher humidity areas were more susceptible.

I got "flamed" for suggesting the above even though I made it my first point to stress this was based off of a different product. However, interconnect and PCB standards (coatings or not, solder mask, tented vs. not vias, etc) can be more in common across product lines. Can be. Not are. So it's "fair" to start to triage using data from other products. Looks like this past message - even a different sub-system - matches what a tech throws out off-the-cuff. It could still be wrong. You (and by this, I mean qualified/certified technicians ...) have to crack it open to see/test.

... this is not spam ...

Posted : 20/08/2019 7:11 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us