Clear all

MODX MIDI Transmission

46 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
10.6 K Views
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Why is the MODX MIDI transmission limited to either USB or Midi port. Genos for example handles all ports simultaneously ( but doesn´t support audio via USB )

Posted : 21/11/2018 4:47 pm
Bad Mister

From previous posts....

There are three Ports on MIDI IN/OUTs via the USB connection:
Port 1 - used by the MODX internal tone generator for music performing (note-ons, controllers, tempo);
Port 2 - not used currently... but typically would be for Remote Control commands between the front panel of the hardware and DAW software;
Port 3 - connect one external device via standard 5-pin MIDI I/O Ports. Items routed from the computer on "MODX Port 3" will be passed through the MODX and go OUT the 5-pin jack on the back panel. And conversely, any information arriving at the 5-pin MIDI IN of the MODX will be routed through to the DAW as "MODX Port 3".

Important Note: If you select MIDI I/O = USB, MODX will send and receive via the USB connection; while the 5-pin MIDI IN/OUT jacks will allow you to connect an external device discreetly to the computer (as port 3). So it is NOT that the 5-pin MIDI ports don't work when you select MIDI I/O = USB, they work to address one external device (both IN/OUT, to and from the computer). You can trigger that device by looping the signal through the computer: Port 1 In to Port 3 Out.
Most Frequently Asked Question (USB): What generates the most questions is how to play the MODX keys and trigger an external MIDI device (that is connected via 5-pin MIDI cable) all while connected MIDI I/O = USB to the computer. The answer is: literally, through the computer. Here is the MIDI Signal Flow:

- MODX key press, Local Control is Off, MIDI messages go Out via USB on Port 1 to a MIDI Track set to receive MODX Port 1 as MIDI IN.
- Set the Track's MIDI OUT to MODX Port 3.
- Port 3 is the 5-Pin MIDI Out jack that goes to the external synth. So DAW signal routed on Port 3 triggers whatever you connect to the MODX MIDI OUT.
- You can trigger that external keyboard module while connected to your DAW. You simply THRU the data (it passes thru the MODX on PORT 3) - because typically, when working with an external DAW “Local Control” is Off, only if you set the MIDI Track’s Out PORT to 1 will it trigger the MODX tone generator.

Posted : 21/11/2018 5:29 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

There's an idea on ideascale to request that both ports are allowed to be used simultaneously. For the life of me, I cannot get the original poster or the many who have upvoted this idea to explain what this means as there is already the facility to use both ports simultaneously. No, they do not directly connect to each other (no internal routing to "bridge" them) - but this does not mean they cannot be used simultaneously. Since use of USB means you must have a computer connected (either PC, Mac, or iOS) - it seems fine that the computer's job is to forward the MIDI ("bridge" ) from one PORT to the other -- and lack of a bridge built-in to MODX/Montage gives you more, not less, flexibility in terms of routing.

It would be different if someone chimed in and required there was an option to bridge the two together (allowing for uni-directional or bi-directional). This is different than simultaneous. All such bridging would do would minimize your DAW setup time as the DAW provides facility to do this.

Posted : 21/11/2018 8:17 pm
Prominent Member

There's an idea on ideascale to request that both ports are allowed to be used simultaneously. For the life of me, I cannot get the original poster or the many who have upvoted this idea to explain what this means as there is already the facility to use both ports simultaneously.

How would you set up a MODX Performance to trigger an external sound from an iOS synth on one channel, while triggering an external sound from from another keyboard or standalone MIDI module on another?

Posted : 23/11/2018 3:04 pm
Bad Mister

Scott,
You would handle it the same way. You are just substituting the iOS device for the computer. The theory and the routing is the same. You use the "host" to thru the data on the appropriate Port.

I just set up playing a soft synth on the iPad (its audio coming through the MODX) via the LUCA adapter and USB cable. At the same time playing an external synth module Out via the 5-pin MIDI jack.

This is done using Cubasis to host the soft synth, and to route my MODX, In on Port 1 and Out to the MIDI module as Port 3.

Actually, able to create three way regioned setup with softsynth app as left hand Bass, middle octaves as external MIDI module and right hand MODX.

Posted : 23/11/2018 6:51 pm
Prominent Member

The "missing piece" then was that you have to host the iOS synth in Cubasis. It's good that there's a solution, but it does add expense and complication compared to having a selectable option where the MODX could send its data out both ports at the same time. The complication being, not just understanding MODX MIDI routing, but also, learning how to use Cubasis to host an iOS synth (and, I'm guessing, limitations as to which iOS synths you can use?). Again, this really just serving to answer Jason's query, of not understanding why someone would have posted a request for a simpler option of just sending the MIDI data out both ports.

Posted : 23/11/2018 9:41 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

If that's the case - having a free option to do this in iOS - then it would help, as requested, for users to articulate this is what they want. Neither this OP or the ideascale one has this context or (in the case of ideascale) discussion. If that was the request, then they would both be slightly mis-labeled as the actual issue is not pinpointed in order to gain any traction to fix. I'm not against any of this - just wanting there to be clarity in the requests that are out there.

Posted : 23/11/2018 10:34 pm
Prominent Member

I'd take it as what seems to me to be face value, i.e. "I want to connect the Yamaha to a USB MIDI device and a 5-pin DIN MIDI device at the same time." I think it is a common desire among people gigging with two boards. They may want to trigger the sounds in one board from the other board, while also using an iPad for patch selection and/or as an additional sound source. Being able to attach each device directly to its own type of connection is just simple. No routing to figure out, no merge or thru boxes or fancy interfaces or additional software needed.

Posted : 24/11/2018 3:35 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

@Scott - Ok, your request is for the ability to keep the current functionality where both USB and 5-pin MIDI ports can be used simultaneously - but, as an enhancement, allow for the 5-pin DIN MIDI "bus" and USB MIDI "bus" to be bridged together inside MODX (and Montage).

@seagreg - is this what you want?

Posted : 24/11/2018 5:06 am
Stefan

Just to add, I upvoted the proposal on Ideascale. My use case is exactly what Scott describes, play the Montage from a second board and at the same time select the sounds from the iPad. I can’t do that at this point without external hardware like a MIDI merger. Adds cost and complexity...

Posted : 24/11/2018 6:59 am
Bad Mister

Just FYI, every feature added adds cost and complexity.

Posted : 24/11/2018 2:06 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

@Jason
Originally yes but there is the other problem with the livesets ( as discussed in the MONTAGE Forum ).
And if i can´t do it without the iPad I`ve to do it with the iPad.
So I am waiting till 12.December

Posted : 26/11/2018 12:55 pm

what happens on 12.12.?

Posted : 28/11/2018 9:46 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Camelot Pro will be released for PC / Mac / iOS
https://www.camelotpro.com

Posted : 28/11/2018 3:03 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I've read this a few times and am having problems decoding what you're expressing:

And if i can´t do it without the iPad I`ve to do it with the iPad.

I could actually use just an end-to-end description of what your dream usage would be of MODX. What other external connections are involved (PC, Mac, iOS - or some currently unsupported USB connection like a keyboard or controller that only has USB-midi connectivity). At the moment, the assumption is that you would use the USB port on MODX to connect something supported (iOS or PC or Mac) running some software to communicate with MODX.

I'm also not sure I understand the Genos reference because I have no experience with Genos. Perhaps outlining what Genos provides above MODX would help illustrate.

Posted : 28/11/2018 6:33 pm
Page 1 / 4
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us