Notifications
Clear all

MODX noises that shouldn't be there... FM-X

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Member Admin
Topic starter

Anyone else noticed a weird little whirly noise on the tail of some FM-X sounds? Killed all release, eliminated all reverb and all other tail creating effects so I could isolate this... but it's there, still... on only some of the sounds I've made with FM-X.

I'm not sure if this an algorithm issue or something else, but have eliminated all effects and wiring potential issues. And noticed that it's by no means all FM-X sounds, and I've never heard it from AWM2 sounds.

So am merely, at this stage, wondering if anyone else has noticed something like this.

Posted : 25/01/2023 2:11 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I don't do a ton of FM-X programming - so my exposure is limited. I can't recall hearing anything like that. I take it this needs two operators stacked at minimum to produce and something like a carrier-only situation wouldn't. If carriers do this on their own then that'd be interesting since there's less to explain why they would.

Maybe at some later stage ...

If you can get an example out there anywhere then this would help. Or just some instructions starting with Init Normal (FM-X) how to quickly build a sound that does this.

Posted : 25/01/2023 9:28 pm
Antony
Estimable Member

This is how I would troubleshoot it.

1 Find a Preset exhibiting the issue.
2 Get Pen and Paper
3 Note the Algorithm Number
4 For each Operator, Note its Spectral, Skirt and Resonance.
5 For each Operator, Note its Level and Ratio.
6 From INIT, build an FM Part using only the information you recorded in 3, 4 & 5.
7 Set Part FEG Depth = 0
8 Play a Note, see if the issue still exists.

If there is no issue, the fault must exist in some config of the original patch.

If the issue is reproduced, then there may be an FM-X bug, which you can report.

Posted : 26/01/2023 9:00 am
 todd

Due to my lack of involvement in FM-X broadcasting, my familiarity with the format is naturally restricted. It's unlike anything I've ever heard before. It seems like this requires a minimum of two stacked operators, as opposed to the one needed in a carrier-only setup. It would be intriguing if carriers did this on their own, as the reasons for doing so are less clear.

monkey mart

Posted : 08/02/2023 9:21 am
Trusted Member

Hello,
Noticed that as well. I managed to diminish the effect using EQ or something. Very annoying.

Posted : 13/02/2023 5:32 am
Member Admin
Topic starter

[quotePost id=120344]Hello,
Noticed that as well. I managed to diminish the effect using EQ or something. Very annoying.[/quotePost]

Thank you, @Romuald for confirming it's not just me, nor just this particular MODX.

Agreed. It's subject to the rest of the chain. I'll try to remember to find time to dig into it a bit more the next time I come across it. It was extremely annoying, and put me off working on the sound I found it on after I couldn't track down the source of it.

Posted : 16/02/2023 2:54 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us