Notifications
Clear all

MODX - Old Fashioned Pre-Digital Age Telephone Ring Sound

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello again Yamaha Synthesizer Support,

Does the MODX have resident the performance sound of an old fashioned pre-digital age telephone ring? My band occasionally plays Glenn Miller's "Pennsylvania 6-5000" - having this would come in handy at these times.

Again, many thanks in advance.

Steve

Posted : 26/02/2021 4:21 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

[CATEGORY SEARCH]
Touch the magnifying glass in the upper-right which is the search-by-text feature
Touch-Type "telephone"
The "Telephone" Performance should be what you're looking for.

The Performance number is 1939 - so you can also search by number when adding a Part. I'm getting this Performance number information from the Data List.

Posted : 26/02/2021 4:48 pm
Topic starter

I thank you again, Jason. Admittedly, I was looking at the Data List sub category "Digital" for this performance - turns out the sub category is "Nature"!

Again, many thanks!

Steve

Posted : 26/02/2021 10:39 pm
Antony
Estimable Member

I had a look at some of the MODX Sound Effects samples. Its a mixed bag - some good, some not so good.

The Telephone is in the not so good category.

Then I discovered the BBC Sound Sample Library. Over 60,000 samples, fully curated and searchable. You can find the link with Google.

Posted : 27/02/2021 12:07 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I think for the task at hand - "Telephone" played at the E above middle-C is a dead ringer for the Glenn Miller recording I've listened to.

I would probably just use that and call it quits. Might EQ it to take out some low end (bell strike thudding). But all of that is in the Penn 6-5k tune.

If you need a different telephone sf/x then maybe (something more modern in the digital age - or even different eras before digital) go fishing.

There's at least 2 telephone rings already in MODX - a more modern digital one and the bell one in the "Telephone" Performance. This uses the preset Waveform "TelRing".

If you want to go "crazy" you could setup a drum kit (I started with "Init Drum" ) and replace any of the drum keys (I replaced C1 = "BD" ) with the "TelRing" waveform. I then tune it up +2 semi-tones. I used the AEG (on the level/pan screen) to slightly shorten the time the sample plays before decaying (set decay1 time to 59). Then I went to the 2-band EQ and cut the lows by max and boosted the highs by max. Also - set the "TelRing" drum key to "Rcv Note OFF" to Off so you don't have to hold the key down to have it do a "one shot" ring on its own.

And after this - I press one button and the phone rings for about the right amount of time without having to hold a key down. Sounds right enough to me.

Or just use the "Telephone" Performance as-is and hold a key down for the desired duration. I'd play that "E" - but you may gravitate towards some other pitches.

If I put a Ring Modulator ("Basic" preset) insertion effect on my drum creation - this colors the sound in a nice way without getting "far out". If I turn on the LFO and set the frequency really low with a sine wave and depth of 127 - then I can introduce some random pitch every time I hit the button. Depending on how fast I make the LFO (between dead slow and painfully slow - which, incidentally, is faster than dead slow) then I can either make a randomized starting pitch or make a sound of the telephone bell ringer motor going out or power/cable being bad. When I listen to the recording I have - it sounds like the first phone ring tapers off in pitch. So this sort of creates a way to recreate that for all of the rings.

Not that you have to do any of this crazy stuff. Just saying - it's there to play with should you feel motivated, the need, or otherwise find yourself with an abundance of free time and no idea what to do with it.

Posted : 27/02/2021 8:18 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

BTW: I'd like to point out that a difference between our approaches is that I relied on [CATEGORY SEARCH] doing a text search without restricting to any particular main/sub-category. I was searching for "teleph" as part of any factory preset's Performance name. If that didn't turn up anything I would have searched for "phone" - but I got there on a first try.

Each Performance can only have one main and one sub category. Many Performances would fit several different categories. Given only one can be assigned - maybe what you search for will miss one of many reasonable candidates for categorization.

I tend to use the main categories more than sub categories for filtering. Sometimes a sub-category if I'm looking for a fairly common instrument of a common type. However, the returns are far from complete as some Performances will have been categorized what seems to be strangely to you. This is why more often than not I will do a search without filtering by main/sub categories. Using "All" for both instead.

Both/all approaches are good/useful. I'm not trying to pick favorites here. You'll need to develop several techniques to find what you're looking for if the well comes up dry the first time.

Posted : 27/02/2021 9:02 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us