Notifications
Clear all

MODX part volume level automation with pattern sequencer

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

just updated my MODX7 to latest firmware 2.0 Update went fine

However, When using the pattern sequencer i can't seem to get each parts volume levels automated .
levels are going up and down on a drum arpeggio track. i tried to re- record the track and adjust the volume fader for the drum part but it has no effect on the fluctuating volume level
Any guidance on how to control each parts volume level over time would be appreciated

Thx

Posted : 27/10/2019 5:05 pm

This is a much pertinent question. I myself am also very curious on learning how to do track volume automation.

It is a vital function one needs in order to compose a full sonf on MODX sequencer. Using the Super knob?...

Maybe Bad Mister can help us on this one 🙂

Posted : 29/10/2019 9:01 am
Bad Mister

If you are new to automation, in general, there are a few logistical rules and best practices to consider.
First and most importantly, automation is always best left until you have flattened your Patterns into a linear a Song structure. Most difficulty newbies have is with recognizing that by definition, automation is in charge of changes over time. Time is linear (if nothing else is known about it, we can agree that it is linear). This presents a problem.

If you have a four measure looping Pattern, how do you create a slow twelve measure fade out?

This is not a trick question, nor is it a rhetorical question. It is one we must answer before beginning this discussion. If you can’t answer it, you will not likely understand much about the automation discussion.

Hint: How would you automate a crash Cymbal to play every 12 measures... where would you place it in your four measure Pattern?

Second issue, you are not playing the drums, the Arp is. The Arp Phrase has predetermined Velocity data and perhaps Volume data built-in. One of the Settings for Arpeggio is the Velocity Mode, when set to “original” the prerecorded Velocity is implemented, when set ti “Thru” the Velocity you use to Trigger the Arp will determine how the phrase plays back.

Posted : 29/10/2019 9:39 am

So I understand you have to study a little bit in order to efficiently use automation. That is very logical.

Can I ask for a little help for newbies ?

I have a 8 measure pattern recorded with a single continuous chord. How can I program a fade out during those 8 measures ? Will I have to use the superknob programmed for volume control ? Or is there a simpler way of achieving this ?

Posted : 29/10/2019 9:54 am
Bad Mister

Repeat: First and most importantly, automation is always best left until you have flattened your Patterns into a linear a Song structure. This must be mentioned, only as a warning that one you insert automation, you must continue to insert automation. This is midi, not audio, automation —so the timing and positioning of commands is critical.

The reason is unless the 8 measures never repeat... the fade out is made from MIDI messages (not sound) once the volume reaches 0, it will stay there until it receives another message to tell it to change. You will wind up inserting the initial Volume in each Scene.

Where are you going next? If you let it repeat the volume remains 0 until it runs into a volume command to tell it to change.
If you change to another section of the Pattern, the volume starts from 0.

Please experiment. To fade out during 8 measures you could use the Slider dedicated to that Part... you could overdub that controller if your hands are full - this uses cc7
You could record the Volume change as you would with an organ sound using Expression, this uses cc11.
You could using the control matrix assigning Part Volume to an Assign Knob, cc17-24.
Any way that you change Volume of a sound can be recorded.... but just recognize how they behave when moving Scene to Scene.

You’ll make more work for yourself because of the looping nature of patterns. Once you automate any change, you open a can of worms. If your goal is use the 8measure section just once... fine...but after playing it, changing to another section will be a problem if the controller you used does not reset the volume value... you’ll need to reset the volume at the top of the next section. Ultimately, you’ll need to insert a reset volume in each section you might potentially go to. Because it’s not Audio. it’s MIDI data... there must be an appropriate message to bring the volume up from 0. The last value for a controller persists until a new message sets the parameter differently.

You would do so by storing the initial volume with each Scene. Scene Memory Mixing ON. Please experiment, its the best way to learn how automation works.

Then remember: automation is always best left until you have flattened your Patterns into a linear a Song structure.

If you use the Super Knob to change the Volume it will automatically reset all the parameters it is in charge of when the Pattern Length is reached.
If you use Standard controllers they do not reset. So depending on what you need to do, choose your volume assignment wisely.

I have a 8 measure pattern recorded with a single continuous chord. How can I program a fade out during those 8 measures ?

Seriously, I would edit the sound’s Amplitude Envelope... this is the best way to accomplish what you describe. The AEG fades out as you require, and needs no special message to reset ... no matter where I go next. Just saying... then you can leave MIDI automation for things and situations in which it works well.

Posted : 29/10/2019 12:32 pm

Thank you Bad Mister.

Once again your help is very good and informed. And thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed answer.

Thank you !

Posted : 29/10/2019 3:46 pm
Bad Mister

Many folks are stumped by the “It sounded right when I recorded it, but it doesn’t playback correctly” thing.
MIDI events occur in a specific order and must be played back in that order... in order to recreate what you did.

Sustain pedal is the other biggie. “I heard it Sustain when I recorded it, but it’s not playing back correctly”.

If you step on the Sustain pedal before the Loop Recording begins, then no Sustain On command is recorded.
And if you are Loop Record and lift off the pedal late, your Sustain Off command can windup back in measure 1.

Because MIDI commands need to work in a specific order, the cycling Loop means you have to be careful. Neatness counts!

Posted : 29/10/2019 4:33 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us