Modx personal libraries including Ethnology and xpand your word

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Igor
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi GURU!
Continuing in the exploration of the modx, and especially in the personal thematic classification of the various performances available, I ran into a new problem: I made a library, for example, of guitars, where I selected the ones I liked best, from presets, montage expanded , motif x, etc.
Listening to them again, it seems to me that the performances taken from older keyboard libraries (for example the “Xpand your World” library DO NOT play, in the new library that I made, while it DOES sound, if I recall the same perf. from her original library.

I would like to know if this is normal, or if I did something wrong.

I thought that a possible solution could be: "xpand your world" and "etnology" libraries are different from others, (like for example motif xs): they come splitted into 2 branches: voices and performances. ...... i think i only imported perform without their voice ....

So, i recalled again those libraries, and imported properly perf. and voices, and they where ok. They did make sound. But when i deleted the original libraries, they went on to be mute as before.

Now, i would appreciate that some one who know this fact very well (Bad Mister?) would tell me if i am wrong or not. Thank you!

Posted : 26/09/2021 5:51 pm
Bad Mister

So, i recalled again those libraries, and imported properly perf. and voices, and they where ok. They did make sound. But when i deleted the original libraries, they went on to be mute as before.

Hard to say if you really did “imported properly” because you don’t give us details of how you did this — perhaps the problem is you did not import them properly.

And the phrase “make sound” — I’m sure is clear to you, but not to anyone reading this (or at least, not clear me).
Performances make sound when you press the keys, they also can make sound when an Arpeggio is assigned. You don’t tell us if Arpeggios are involved and whether your “importing properly” included importing the Arpeggio data.

If a program was imported and it was assigned an Arpeggio, if the Arp is set to Off, the program might not “make sound” when you touch the keys. Check to see if “ARP PLAY ONLY” is set to ON.

Posted : 26/09/2021 6:26 pm
 Igor
Trusted Member
Topic starter

first of all, thank you a lot for answer!

I imported them in this way:
1 - load libr. in modx
2 - utility / libr. import / open relative library / select all perfs i like / import to user bank / store -save / library file / save. I repeated the same action for voices and perf. (see: xpand your world)

i imported them without touching any parameter, and i expected that in this way i could have the exact copy of what i hear. Without thinking about arp assigning or arp on/off; i thought that it could only be the exact copy. NOT?
what did i mistake?

Posted : 26/09/2021 7:44 pm
Bad Mister

?
What does “not make sound” mean?
Are sample waveforms involved? This time you fail to mention: “So, i recalled again those libraries, and imported properly perf. and voices, and they where ok. They did make sound.”

I think you are not being specific enough for an answer. There are some promotional materials included in the “XSpand Your World” data… those promotional custom Waveforms will not load into any product beyond the products intended as the promotion target. Materials in a promotional (freebie) often come with an agreement with the developer about when, where and for long they are made available… when that is the case, you will not be able to access that data, (most often it’s Waveform data).

But that cannot be your problem because initially you said “They did make sound” so I assume no custom Waveforms were involved. That say it could be an Arpeggio setting.
You made it appear like initially everything was fine… so I’m more confused now. Sorry.

Can you be specific about which items don’t make sound. You’re talking about hundreds of sounds… I’m asking you just tell us one or two specific programs that do not sound, then maybe we can figure out what the issue is…

Posted : 26/09/2021 8:11 pm
 Igor
Trusted Member
Topic starter

hi, my last post was the answer to the "not too much specific explanation" "you don’t give us details of how you did this". I only described all the actions i did in order to import those perf.

“They did make sound” means that when i press a note, the modx sounds .
the perfs sare:

chipli
ethno bells 6
nanbey
tabla rasa 3

They sound when the original libr. is loaded- They dont sound when properly(see above the actions) imported into a personal library ...

Posted : 27/09/2021 5:52 pm
 Igor
Trusted Member
Topic starter

?

Posted : 28/09/2021 4:39 pm
Bad Mister

You are talking about Files that are almost a decade and a half old. It took me awhile to find the data.

I already told you about the “XSpand Your World” data — it will not load properly into current models:
There are some promotional materials included in the “XSpand Your World” data… those promotional custom Waveforms will not load into any product beyond the products intended as the promotion target. Materials in a promotional (freebie) often come with an agreement with the developer about when, where and for how long they are made available… when that is the case, you will not be able to access that data, (most often it’s Waveform data).

The Waveforms that do load maybe corrupted where the KeyBank mapping will be all wrong - much of the data from “XSpand your World” is not translatable to the MODX/MONTAGE if/when it contains certain custom Waveforms.

It took me awhile to find “etnology” because there never was such a file, then I realized you probably meant “Ethnology.x0a” which I still didn’t recognize but I found on an old hard drive from 2007. This was a free promotional file for Motif XS, it likely includes the same kind of Waveform data issues you experienced with “XSpand your World”. Like “XSpand your World”, the “Ethnology” data was a promotional release made from the “best of” a lot of different 3rd party sources… so certainly, on an original Voice by Voice basis, you may find some sounds load and play perfectly, others the mapping will be corrupted.

I would list both of these promotional collections as NOT COMPATIBLE.

File compatibility between older models and the current models pertains to data you (as user) are likely to make yourself. Again, promotional materials are likely to be different — they were typically freebies, giveaways, for the most part — and often have a limited time release, especially when the material was a “sampler” — a little bit each from various 3rd party sources (programmers).

Why would it be made so some data does NOT load? You can understand it (as a form copy protection) It is to limit/prevent pirating and unauthorized sale of data that was originally intended to reward owners of the original product. The data is prevented from being read by the newer product.

If you have file data of your own, it will load just fine to the newer products — any promotional data - you will need to evaluate on a case by case basis. Voice-by-voice.

I would close by saying… if you load the data. Take your time, play across all keys, you will find while some Voices translate perfectly, others do not. You will find this happening only on previous Yamaha promotional and anniversary giveaway data.
If you go to EDIT WAVEFORM area you can see the KeyBank structure is corrupted.

Posted : 28/09/2021 7:22 pm
 Igor
Trusted Member
Topic starter

thanksagain, Guru for completeanswer; i did notwant you loose time... Anyway, now iknow something more... Even if many of those perfs were very very nice!!!

Posted : 28/09/2021 8:54 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us