Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MODX to Ableton -- USB audio latency drift?

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 sean
Topic starter

I'm using my MODX7 as an external instrument on 8 tracks in Ableton. MIDI out through USB, audio back through USB.

Over the course of a few hours of working, my MODX parts drift out of sync by 50-100ms, to where they are clearly out of time with my internal instruments.

Going to the preferences panel and changing the buffer setting to another value fixes the issue, and the tracks are back in sync.

Photos of my MIDI and audio settings attached.

What am I missing? Thanks for any advice.

Attached files

Posted : 14/04/2022 2:39 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Source: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209774205-Live-s-MIDI-Ports

Sync
The Sync switch allows Live to send or receive MIDI Clock, or receive MIDI Timecode.

Note: Input and Output should never be activated simultaneously for the same device since this can result in MIDI Feedback loops and can therefore cause various problems.

Also, are you using the remote feature with MODX? It's fine if you are -- and these do not necessary have to be tied to MODX (Port 2) although that's the remote control MIDI port for MODX when MODX is in "DAW mode".

Posted : 14/04/2022 9:35 pm
 sean
Topic starter

Thanks Jason,

Per using remote, I was seeing if I could get Ableton to record knob twists from the MODX (you can). But I don't need it continually.

I've turned off sync and remote "in" from the MODX and will see if this improves the situation.

See the attached image for how I have MIDI set now.

Thanks again for the response.

Attached files

Posted : 14/04/2022 10:16 pm
 sean
Topic starter

Update: making the changes above (making sure sync and remote are only on "in" or "out") didn't do any harm, but the latency slipping issue persists.

This morning I heard the driver glitch on playback, and I'm wondering if the USB driver (maybe the Yamaha/Steinberg USB driver) has an issue on M1 Macs? What I heard was the driver glitch on playback, and THEN the sync was off. Again, going in and resetting the buffer in Ableton got the sync back.

Anyone else having issues with M1 Macs and the driver?

I'd be happy to share logs.

Posted : 15/04/2022 2:49 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I don't have an M1 system or Ableton.

Posted : 15/04/2022 5:49 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us