I am using the following setup

x18 mixer with the X-Air app on the Ipad
Ipad running Camelot Pro
MODX8
Native INstruments A61

Set up

4 port hub plugged into the IPAD
A61 and MODX8 plugged into the hub
Midi CAble (5 pin) from MODX out to X18 Midi in.
Microphone into X18

I have 2 main snapshots the X18

1 - vocal mic is sent to main output
2 - vocal mic is removed from the main mix and re routed to the MODX AD input 1 via Bus 1 which then treats this as the source for a vocoder

Camelot Pro is doing a really good job on controlling the programme changes to the modx and also acting as a bridge for the A61 to also control specific channels.

Camelot pro also allows for midi programme changes, which I know the x18 can accept.

The reason for the request is that i am I do not want the vocoder on all songs, however when not used as a vocoder I need the same mic to act as a standard vocal mic.

I could potentially have 2 mics and remove the vocoder source from the mix however the Idea would be to have the single mic covering both jobs and when the song is chosen in camelot pro, the programme change on the MODX would initiate a change to the relevant snapshot.

Can anyone help.

Posted : 03/07/2020 10:47 am
Bad Mister

I could potentially have 2 mics and remove the vocoder source from the mix however the Idea would be to have the single mic covering both jobs and when the song is chosen in camelot pro, the programme change on the MODX would initiate a change to the relevant snapshot.

Signal arriving into the MODX8 via the AD IN can be routed to the Vocoder (assigned to a Synth Part) on a per Performance basis. You would set the MIC/LINE input to LINE (because your incoming signal is Output from a mixer), and could program each MODX Performance as you require. The MIC/LINE setting in the MODX is global and will apply to all programs. Where you route that signal within the MODX, is strictly a MODX issue.

MODX User Performance
Each MODX Performance can be stored with your preference for the A/D IN Routing through the Motion Control Synthesis Engine. What this means is: you can have your first Performance stored with the AD In set to use a Vocoder assigned to a synth Part, and in the next Performance the AD In can be set to sound normally, and in the next you can set it so that it does not contribute at all. What the AD IN is doing is programmable per each Performance.

Each of the 640 potential User Performances can memorize not only what synth sound is assigned in each Part but can store what is happening with the AD In... and of course, which Effects are being applied. You can store Volume relative to the internal synth Parts.

Example:
Performance 1 — place the “carrier” MODX8 program in your Performance. This is the sound to which the AD IN (vocal) will be encoded. For our example say it is Part 1. It is Part 1’s Insertion Effect that would be set to Vocoder, and the AD IN would be like a ‘side chain’ input to that Part 1 Insert Effect. The AD IN has its own two Insertion Effects, by the way, but the Vocoder is not assigned as AD IN Insert Effect, rather the AD IN is ‘side chained’ into the Vocoder assigned to the synth Part or Parts. It’s not a vocal effect, it’s a synth effect that allows external signal in as a modifier.

You can choose how much “live” signal and how much “vocoded” signal. The normal (un-encoded) signal can be disconnected from the Main Outputs, this would mean 100% of the signal will be routed through the synth Part‘s Vocoder. What you hear is the synth sound encoded with your vocal articulations.

Performance 2 — by not assigning a Vocoder into the signal path of the AD In, the resulting sound will not be altered (encoded). You simply route the AD In toward the Main Output, and don’t route through any synth Part.

What you cannot change, per Performance, is that global MIC/LINE setting. But virtually everything else involving the AD Input Part is programmable.

[UTILITY] > “Settings” > “Audio I/O” > set “Mic/Line“ = Line

From the HOME screen of your Performance:
Press [EDIT]
Touch “Audio In”
Here you can setup the AD IN Part

When you are routing this into a synth Part, you would navigate to that Part, to its “Effects” > “Routing” screen
You would set one of the Insertion Effects to Vocoder, and set AD as the ‘Side Chain/Modulator’ Part

Hope that helps.

Posted : 03/07/2020 12:33 pm
 rob
Topic starter

HI

Thank you,

Yes it does. I had already sort of done that. All of the performances had been set as either AD L/R mono with either the Left channel active and right muted for vocoder work and the rest as Left channel muted and right set to read the tempo from a Bass Drum Mic.

I think, as usual, initially I was overthinking and there was a potential doubling up of the signal activation i.e I was worried that I was not only setting the input AD on the modx and therefore shutting off the vocoder mic input when not required, but then was also trying to mute the bus signal for each channel.

However...… although this does work in relation to the signal passing through, because the AD input is on a per Performance not Part basis, and because there are a number of performances that require both the tempo to be set by the live kit into AD R and also require me to sing backing vocals then this doesn't quite seem to work ( I will persevere)

I have figured out that the mixer, if connected to Camelot can be programmed to switch as a Programme Change however I have additional concerns. I think long term the safest option is to set up 2 Vocal mics and a drum mic - 1 vocal and drum directly into the MODX and then 1 into the main desk, that way if there is an issue with the digital desk and we have to use an analogue desk, I won't need to worry about manually changing everything over.

Posted : 16/07/2020 9:13 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us