Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Modx vs Gospel Musicians FM Tines

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

If you have a Modx is the FM Tines library worth getting? I wasn't sure if the FM Tines is just DX7 sounds or if there is Roland, Korg, sounds etc:. If anyone has this library and knows any feedback would be great. Just want to make sure I'm not getting a library that I already have most of the sounds.

Posted : 02/07/2020 4:44 pm
Eminent Member

The answer is "it depends"... on what you're looking for.

The FM Tines library (looks like there's a FM Tines 2 out now) is a sample pack so all the sounds are sampled. For FM sounds they won't have the expressiveness of real FM where each operator responds to velocity differently, so you'll want to use your MODX's FM-X engine for those. But the library also includes other EP sounds besides DX/FM including Roland (D-50) and real electric pianos (Rhodes, etc.)

Your MODX has a ton of samples including various EPs and even DX samples in the AWM2 engine, plus you have real FM on the FM-X side.

If you're looking for a wider range of sampled EP and bell sounds than the MODX provides, this library might be worth it. If you're after the FM sounds, real FM does it better, and the MODX has that in spades.

I'd listen to the demos on their website and come to your own conclusion based on what you need.

Posted : 03/07/2020 12:38 am
Topic starter

Yeah I listened to all the demos of the fm tines and it did sound like it had some different sounds. I mainly use the modx presets along with layering some patches. I really don't have or want to take the time to program the fm side. The fm tines just seemed like it had some nice presets. The fm tines ios app is on sale so I wouldn't be out much if there's some redundancy, Overall I think it sound different and different FXs. Thanks for response, very helpful.

Posted : 03/07/2020 1:39 am
Topic starter

"Update" I found out I was listening to the UVI desktop version of the FM Tines which is a larger library. I'm interested in the ios ipad version. I think I have 99.9% of those sounds with the Modx.

Posted : 03/07/2020 4:35 pm
Topic starter

The answer is "it depends"... on what you're looking for.

The FM Tines library (looks like there's a FM Tines 2 out now) is a sample pack so all the sounds are sampled. For FM sounds they won't have the expressiveness of real FM where each operator responds to velocity differently, so you'll want to use your MODX's FM-X engine for those. But the library also includes other EP sounds besides DX/FM including Roland (D-50) and real electric pianos (Rhodes, etc.)

Your MODX has a ton of samples including various EPs and even DX samples in the AWM2 engine, plus you have real FM on the FM-X side.

If you're looking for a wider range of sampled EP and bell sounds than the MODX provides, this library might be worth it. If you're after the FM sounds, real FM does it better, and the MODX has that in spades.

I'd listen to the demos on their website and come to your own conclusion based on what you need.

I went ahead and picked up the Fm Tines. I emailed Gospel Musicians and they said the desktop and ios are the same except less samples for the standard ios version. But you can upgrade to the full samples to make it just like the desktop. I will upgrade to the full samples the next time. It does sound awesome.

Posted : 04/07/2020 10:03 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us