Notifications
Clear all

MODX with Cubase 12 - synch/storage question

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I use my MODX primarily in a multi-timbral synth mode, along with Cubase 12.

I'm able to select patches, record MIDI parts, and record the parts to audio tracks in Cubase without any issues.

About every 5 minutes, Cubase freezes, and there's an indication in the MODX screen that Cubase and the MODX are "synching". While this is obviously good and desired, it happens way too frequently for my preference and is annoying in that it shuts Cubase (and my work) completely down for a few seconds.

Is there a way to perhaps have this happen less frequently? - Thanks - Pete radd

Posted : 21/04/2022 11:57 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I don't use this feature often - so I could have missed the mark, but ...

If you're using MODX Connect, there's an option for "Auto Sync" that you may want to turn off and see if that helps.

Posted : 22/04/2022 1:03 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi Jason - I am absolutely using MODX Connect, and I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Posted : 22/04/2022 2:06 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

This is a setting "inside" MODX Connect.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/modx/apps.html

I don't "like" automatic things and generally do things the hard way -- but I didn't think this should be periodically sync. However, since I'm not a user of this - it's a longshot.

Posted : 22/04/2022 2:36 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi Bill - thanks for chiming in!

Before I answer you in detail, let me just say the settings I use are with the "quick setup" button for "Record MIDI with DAW".

Since everything else is working really just fine, (explained in my post) - - it's hard to think anything is "wrong" - like with a bad cable or out of date driver, etc. (Im using USB by the way).

I actually think this is a GOOD feature in that this is how the numerous settings and changed get imbedded and stored in Cubase. It's just that it happens too frequently for my taste.

Oh - - and Cubase doesn't "shut down" completely as I may have implied. It freezes, then un-freezes once the transfer is complete. Thoughts?

Posted : 22/04/2022 11:04 pm
Member Admin

If you're on a Mac, this could be a background process called: coreaudiod doing its dastardly crap.

If you kill this process, it might give you 50 minutes to an hour of sanity, before becoming a problem, again.

This process is (amongst many other things) responsible for monitoring the inputs from microphones, which it uses to do automatic volume settings of speaker output and microphone levels, and noise suppression. It is the bane of anyone using a Mac made in the last half dozen years for anything to do with audio/visuals.

It's also somewhat responsible for monitoring inputs of audio through USB, which is where it becomes an absolute nightmare for professionals using a Mac, especially in conjunction with the security efforts of the T1 and T2 chips. This is part of Apple's Tim Cook driven focus on "security and privacy" and such a significant selling point (in their eyes) that they don't care much about how it affects what you're doing with a Mac for ears (audio).

The only/best way to minimise its negative impacts is to rollback to 10.13.6 (Mac OS High Sierra) and sudokill coreaudiod every 49 minutes.

This sounds like a bad joke, or hyperbole. But it's really where we're at, as tech gets worse as it adds more to do less.

Posted : 23/04/2022 3:47 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi Andrew - I'm on Windows, but thanks for chiming in.

I believe this "synching" activity is normal, and the fact that Cubase freezes temporarily has to be accepted. But the solution is to turn auto synch off, but also to be sure to "back up" with manual synch every now and then. (or just live with the pauses).

Posted : 24/04/2022 4:10 am
Member Admin

@Peter, in that case, see if there's an "autosave" in Cubase that's causing this. Autosave in other apps causes this kind of pause. Dunno about Cubase. I stopped using it after the 11th time their licensing mechanism blocked access after a Windows update.

Posted : 24/04/2022 5:53 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

If turning off Connect's "Auto Sync" fixes the observed behavior then I wouldn't see this because, as an infrequent DAW user, I don't use Connect. If I were to use Connect, I would likely turn off Auto Sync because I prefer manual over automatic workflows. And in my limited use of Connect - I have turned off Auto Sync.

My normal workflow is to start with an "Empty" project (no Templates) and setup everything manually on the keyboard side.

That's just me - a DAW power user would be a better resource as to what to expect and how to deal with this if Auto Sync has undesirable behavior.

Posted : 25/04/2022 9:22 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us