Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MODX6 black keys are louder than white keys

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I tried MODX6 2nd time today here in Bangkok. This time I brought my own headphone because they set up laney amp for MODX. As I'm currently a happy owner of MX49 and MX88. Everything is an upgrade except the black keys. I tried chromatic scale on CFX concert with medium velocity and all the black keys sounded louder with prominent piano hammer sound. I told the salesperson there to try and he noticed the same thing. He never tried MODX on headphone before, Laney amp didn't show this problem. Not sure anyone found this problem.

Posted : 01/10/2018 5:43 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I've only played, thus far, on the MODX8. Since this is not the same keybed, I won't waste your time with observations on that keybed. The local music store gets a MODX6 on the floor in a week or two.

It would help to know if you were playing ppp, p, mf, f, fff. Just a general sense of what velocity level you were playing at may help. And who knows - maybe the board is setup in a strange way and could use a factory reset just to be sure someone hasn't "dinked" with the settings.

There's not really one to make black keys louder - but if a board across the world doesn't reproduce your findings - we're going to be having to make sure everything is equal. Initializing the keyboard is one way. Sound reinforcement would also be important. They've got HS8s on the MODX here in stereo. Could be phase cancellation - or lots of other things that may be more difficult to ensure are equal (room, mixer, cables, etc). Basically settings, signal chain, and (if not earphones) room. The only one I can ensure is controlled are the settings through init.

Posted : 01/10/2018 11:51 pm
Topic starter

MODX6 was on the second tier on normal KB stand with MODX8 down below. The stand is setup for sitting position. MODX8 was fine without this problem. MODX8 and MODX6 go to the same amp and tested with the same headphone. I was playing mf , even playing chord like D . The F# jumped out. Anyway, I will try it again maybe next week.

Posted : 05/10/2018 1:02 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I checked today - the local music shop had a MODX6 on the floor. I did not notice the black keys were any louder. Rather than rely on perception - I wanted to see if the black keys would register a different velocity than the white keys.

What I did was play the keys at a "normal" level (mf) and adjusted the minimum velocity range up until the notes were not registering. This told me fairly accurately exactly where my velocity was without having a MIDI tool to look at the bus.

Then I dialed the velocity limit down by a few values so most all of my notes were sounding. What I found is that the black keys actually cut out more than the white keys. The conclusion was that this keyboard did not sense a greater velocity for black keys than white keys. If anything, the black keys were slightly subdued. The difference in velocity was very slight. Most of the white notes sounded - most (but less) of the black keys sounded. If I reduced my strength - black keys seemed to cut out first.

Overall, I found the keyboard to be very balanced.

I don't have measurements - but the keys "seemed" spaced even closer (than Montage 7). I'm not sure if this is an accurate impression or not. No calipers to measure, I haven't looked it up, and there was no other keyboard sitting next to MODX6 to compare.

Nice keybed overall.

Posted : 12/10/2018 9:49 pm
Topic starter

After I tried it for 5 times, I purchased MODX. I received MODX6 today. My MODX6 has no problems at all. The MODX at the shop was setup quite far and I think that's the reasons. I am a happy owner of MODX6 now 😀 😀 😀

I had bad experience with the black keys on my FA06 which made me sell it. So I was very cautious about this.

Posted : 01/11/2018 4:58 am

I have my Modx6 now for about 8 months. Up to today everything was fine with the keybed and I am very happy with this instrument. Unfortunately, today I noticed a quite load clicky noise at one of the black keys (ais2) and slightly less at two neighboring black keys when the key is released. Has anyone also had this issue? Probably a case for warranty?

Posted : 29/04/2020 7:55 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us