Motion Sequencer for Pitch Change

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi there,

Hoping to get a chromatic (approximately) pitch sequence to go 2 octaves, to emulate the "Turn Me Loose" intro.

Can't seem to get the pitch rise to about 20 semitones?

I am using pulse type = HOLD and on the MOD control page the STANDARD curve with Param1 = 5.

I have played about with the ratio (about 29 to get the biggest rise) and Amplitude on the Edit Sequence page of around 100.

I remember reading something about this before but can't seem to find it.

Has anyone out there tried this?

cheers

Posted : 27/10/2023 7:47 am
Prominent Member

I remember reading something about this before but can't seem to find it.

See if this thread from two months ago is what you were looking for
https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/how-do-i-shift-one-part-of-a-performance-an-octave-using-one-of-the-assignable-switches#reply-123002

In that thread Bad Mister gives an example using the element 'Coarse' parameter to do the change and explains that a ratio of +16 will correspond to an increase of one octave and +32 will be two octaves.

If you attempt to assign the Part parameter, “Pitch”, you will have no success in getting an exact octave.

Motion Sequences are generally NOT the solution for one-time events. Once you use an MS lane as the source for a controller that lane will ALWAYS provide an offset value. The offset value will be the leftmost value of step 1 before the MS is triggered.

If the MS is not looped then the rightmost output value of the rightmost step (e.g. step 2 if you are using 2 steps) and that offset value will ALWAYS be applied until you reset that sequence either by switching to another one of the 8 available
sequences or by turning the part or master sequence switch off and back on.

There have been several times users have tried to use sequences to do FADE OUTs and then wondered why the volume was always 0 after the fade and couldn't be brought back up. It was because the sequence was still providing an OFFSET that kept the volume low.

This is a thread from two months ago with this exact problem when using a sequence
https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/automated-fade-out-via-ms-questions#reply-122768

And here is the followup thread when, two months later, he still ignored the advice Bad Mister gave him about NOT using sequences to do those one-time jobs.
https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/motion-sequencer-1

Read thru those and see if they help explain things.

Then post again and provide some more info about how you plan to use the pitch rise. I'm guessing you do NOT want the pitch to rise and then stay there.

If you do opt to use a sequence you will likely need to have a specific scene (e.g. scene 5) to use that sequence and then after the rise switch to a different scene that uses a different, even dummy, sequence to disable the sequence that does the pitch rise - or just toggle the part's sequence switch.

Posted : 27/10/2023 8:33 am
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Andrew - this will take me a while to digest...

Posted : 27/10/2023 10:29 am

Motion Sequencer for Pitch Changes is a powerful tool for creating musical pieces with a wide range of pitch changes. It allows the user to create a series of pitch changes over time, thus creating a dynamic and evolving sound.

Expert Gas Boilers Services in Medford NY

Posted : 27/10/2023 11:24 am
Prominent Member

Previous reply is SPAM - don't take the bait.

Posted : 27/10/2023 2:59 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us