Notifications
Clear all

My humbly request for modx new OS

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi all. Things that i need in modx new OS :
- In utility Midi I/O page, controller hold/reset, when I set it to "hold" because I want to remain my expression pedal value while switching performances, also all controls holds while switching performances, like Assignable switches on/off, octave... I don't want that. My suggestion is to add different options to resolve this in utility menu.
- Possibility to use both LFO's on FM-X sounds. Now you can only use second limited LFO.
- In LIVE SET mode on modx it's a little slow and complicated to switching between presets on different banks or pages on touch screen. Montage has physical buttons to easy navigate but on modx it's only by screen and few shortcut's like Shift+inc/dec or Live set button. My suggestion is that we can use cursor buttons under Inc/ dec to scroll banks and pages. User Banks vertically and pages horizontally. Now their functions is same like with Inc/dec buttons. No need to scroll vertically in same setlist page. This option will be of great help for fast navigating on live gigs. PLS Yamaha make this works. :pray:
- That shortcut with shift+octave for transpose keyboard, it would be more useful to affect utility note shift, since note shift does not move split points and ruin user scale tuning while transposing.
- Also for octave buttons it would nice to have option stored in performance what part is affected or not and also to not moving split point.
- In Fm-x it would be nice to have an option (checkbox or something) for operators to follow lvl/key Lo and Lvl/key Hi while playing and moving legato up or down on lead sounds.
- In Fm-x and AWM2 it would be nice to have faster portamento frequency update interval so that transition between notes is smooth and pleased to listen especially in higher ranges.
- In AWM2 that legato for mono sounds need to be much more improved to have smooth transition in mono sounds (that legato offset option does not help much) with legato and portamento. Now is almost unusable.

Posted : 29/02/2020 2:41 pm
Bad Mister

Thanks for your thoughts — not ignoring them but IdeaScale is the place for such requests. Here, we can tell you how to make the most of the current firmware. Post your ideas to IdeaScale

Possibility to use both LFO's on FM-X sounds. Now you can only use second limited LFO.

Not true. So very, not true.

I guess we’ll take this as a question on how to use the PART LFO in the FM-X engine. You can certainly use the “Part LFO” on FM-X sounds. The role of the “Part LFO” differs from its role in the AWM2 engine, this due to the nature of how the tones are generated, but to say you cannot use it is incorrect. Hopefully, after reading this you will have a renewed view of this extremely powerful LFO (Low Frequency Oscillator).

In traditional synthesizers the LFO can be applied to each of the three synth building blocks.
LFO applied to the Oscillator (pitch) - Pitch Modulation Depth - the musical term is vibrato
LFO applied to the Filter (timbre) - Filter Modulation Depth - the musical term is Wah-Wah
LFO applied to the Amplitude (loudness) - Amplitude Modulation Depth - the musical term is tremolo

This model worked great for analog synthesizers and was adopted by sample-playback synths, as well.
FM as first seen in the Yamaha DX7, circa 1983, worked on different fundamental building blocks... as it had no Filters, at all, (timbre change was accomplished by Modular Index) and since not all FM oscillators output audible pitch, the same paradigm did not apply for use of the LFO.

For example, vibrato, Wah, and tremolo could be generated in a completely different manner... in the FM-X engine the “Part LFO” can be applied post the output of the FM tone generation... so it can be applied to the result of the synthesis. So if your ‘observation’ is that the Part LFO is different in the FM-X engine, you are correct. If you are saying you can’t use it, you are incorrect. You probably just have not figured out how...

The “Part LFO” in the FM-X engine allows you to automate Insertion Effect parameters, while the so-called “2nd LFO“ does the traditional musical vibrato—wah—tremolo routines (PMD, FMD, AMD). The “Part LFO” has cleverly been re-tasked— there were no effects to automate back in the DX7 days as effect processing was not available in synths in those ancient days. Fortunately, today we have cutting edge processing built-in and an LFO that can be tasked with controlling three parameter destinations.

The Insertion Effects found in the MONTAGE/MODX engine now include not only the traditional Time Delay effects you’d expect (Phasers, Flamgers, Chorus, Delay), but boutique EQs, Compressors, Vocoders, new VCM modeled Filters, Spirializers, Beat Repeat, etc., etc. — so to say that you can’t use it is more an issue of imagination, (or lack of imagination), not of fact.

We invite you to take a look at the possibilities — we can post a few examples...

Posted : 17/03/2020 4:21 am
Topic starter

Yeah, I found out later for IdeaScale site and post this there. I posted all at once, and now I am thinking maybe it's better to post every suggestion separately.
Thanks for the extensive explanation regarding lfo. All the best.

Posted : 20/03/2020 2:03 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us