Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Need Opinions About MODX Set-up with Other Keyboards (New Owner)

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Bassam
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello, I just bought my first Yamaha Keyboard, a MODX6! Also shortly, I'll be getting a PSR Arranger.
I have couple questions about the MODX set-up with other keyboards:

Part 1:
In the long term, I'll only have the PSR and the MODX, so I'm planning to connect the main outs of the PSR to the A/D IN of the MODX and then the outs of the MODX to Studio Monitors. Also planning to to use the MODX as an audio interface to record my full performance (PSR + MODX) in DAW.
1) Any trouble with this set-up?

Part 2:
I also currently have 2 other keyboards, another Arranger (Ketron) and another Synthesizer (Korg), both connect to a mixer, then out to the monitors. In the short term, I'm planning to use all 4 keyboards at the same time as following:
Arranger 1 + Arranger 2 + Synthesizer all connected to the INs of the Mixer.
Then connect the OUTs of the Mixer to the INs of the MODX.
Finally the OUTs of the MODX to the Monitors, and of course + use it as an audio interface.
2) Any issues with the above? I.e. Can the MODX handle all 3 signals coming from the 3 other keyboards through the mixer?

Please note that I'm relatively a beginner with audio set-ups and recording and related stuff! Just have some knowledge from various readings and tutorials.

Thanks in advance.

Bassam

Posted : 13/02/2022 4:41 am
Antony
Estimable Member

Congrats on your MODX6!!

The A/D INs are Audio Only. If you wanted, you could plug an iPod in there to jam along with your favourite tracks. So, if you didn't realise already... there is no MIDI capability on the A/D Inputs.

Since you already have an external Mixer, I would be tempted to plug all 4 Keyboards Audio Outs into the Mixer and from there to the PA/Monitors. This makes most sense to me.

If you envisage having some form of collective MIDI Control and playing/recording through a DAW... then this would be complex enough to warrant some design and planning (and your scenario would not work).

The A/Ds have a certain "convenience" factor from a MODX Perspective, if the MODX was your main instrument. Any instrument plugged into the A/Ds also has some limited access to the MODX onboard FX (Chorus, Delay, Reverb etc).

Its probably best if you:-

a) List the other keyboard Specific Models?
b) Specify the Mixer you are using, and maybe downstream Amp/PA/Monitor Equipment?
c) Your goals... what do you want to achieve by "nesting" all 4 Keyboards together?

The resident Gurus may well ask you for this info when they come online.

Posted : 13/02/2022 5:42 am
Bassam
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your answer!

I understand that the A/D INs are for Audio Only, and not MIDI, and that's exactly what's I'm looking for, i.e. use the MODX as a "collector" of various audio signals and out them to a pair of monitors. Also be able to record these audio signals whenever I want to (since the MODX will be connected to my laptop).
What I'm trying to achieve?
1) be able to still use my other 2 keyboards before I sell them.
2) if I like a sound, a loop, etc (from the old keyboards), I can record it as audio directly into the DAW.
3) record a performance using all 4 keyboards
4) facilitate cable management (use less and shorter cables).
5) experiment with the MODX as an audio interface
6) I guess with the numbers of INs and OUTS of the MODX interface, I will have more flexibility (need to explore this one, if for example I can separately record the left and the right of the A/D IN into the DAW as 2 separate tracks).

I won't use MIDI much for now, I do have an M-AUDIO for MIDI, and also since I'm planning to connect my MODX to the laptop, I can use it for MIDI.
Also have separate cables for other keyboards if I ever need them for MIDI.

As for the effects, I'm looking to bypass all onboard effects of the MODS for the signals coming in from the A/D Inputs, since the other keyboards sounds and styles are well programmed with their own effects.

As for the equipment I'm using:
1) Ketron Vega Arranger (an oriental version of the old Solton)
2) Korg Trinity V3
3) Yamaha PSR A5000 (oriental version between an SX700 and an SX900) - Arriving Soon (Hopefully!!!!)
4) Behringer Q502 USB (it has an audio interface) - Can handle 4 keyboards if connected mono, then my monitors has the option of combining left & right signals into both speakers (I know not ideal, but I rarely benefit from stereo set-ups or use panning).
5) Samson GT Studio Monitors (also has an audio interface)
6) Cubase AI 11

I do understand that I have tons of options, especially that both my MIXER and Monitors have an audio interface for recording, but again the set-up I'm planning (btw, I attached a schematic below to clarify) works physically best for me, and again lets me experiment better my MODX. I know the set-up you mentioned is the simplest and most straight forward (all 4 keyboards to one mixer).

Btw, you brought up the iPOD example for the A/D INs, but the manual clearly states a "Synthesizer" too, but I'm looking for 3 🙂 Also about the iPAD, that will be to connected the PSR to increase the complexity 😀

Cheers,

Bassam

Posted : 13/02/2022 6:35 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

What you are proposing will work fine. Recording may want to take several passes so you can adjust levels of each in post.

Posted : 13/02/2022 8:30 am
Antony
Estimable Member

@Bassam... welcome.

And your response and Schematic was excellent!

@Jason is one of the Guru's. Looks like you are good to go 🙂

Posted : 13/02/2022 10:51 am
Bad Mister

I have a couple of recommendations:
Take the time to learn your MODX before attempting to drop it in the middle of this proposed setup.
By learning what it does on its own, you will be better prepared to integrate it with your other instruments (give it that much respect).

...I rarely benefit from stereo set-ups or use panning

Ultimately, you will want to... (just my prediction).

Posted : 13/02/2022 12:39 pm
Bassam
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thank you all!!

I really appreciate your help, suggestions, and recommendations!!

And thank you again for welcoming me into this great forum!

Posted : 13/02/2022 6:45 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us