Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

No sound from MODX with MIDI input

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

My new MODX6 is connected to Ableton 10 via USB cable. I can send MIDI to Ableton and create a track, but when I try to play back MIDI to the MODX, nothing happens.
I also have a MOX, and use the same setup, midi to, and midi from. It works fine.
I know the connection is good because Ableton receives midi from MODX. It just will not playback into the modx or make any sound. The modx is on, all of the keys work and make sounds. But midi IN produces nothing //

I have read to manual and it appears to me that everything is set correctly. I'm out of ideas. Any help appreciated..

Posted : 28/10/2018 7:27 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

When sending MIDI to MODX, if you have MODX in multi MIDI-channel mode, then PART 1 is MIDI channel 1, PART 2 is MIDI channel 2, and so on. What Performance (on MODX) is loaded when you try to send MIDI?

If, for example, it is a multi PART piano, then PART 1 may only respond to a limited range of velocities and you may only be sending (from Ableton) to channel 1 and perhaps not in the velocity range.

It's important to know what MIDI channels are required to address the PART(s) you want to sound.

The target channel and overall behavior will differ if your MODX is in single MIDI channel mode.

Posted : 28/10/2018 8:01 am
Topic starter

I'm trying a bass sound Round Wound. It is a single voice. I have tried other live sets, nothing, not any sound.
If I play back the same midi track to my MOX, it plays.

Posted : 28/10/2018 8:16 am
Topic starter

In the Ableton track, there is data, if I select MIDI TO: MOX, it plays. MIDI to MODX, nothing. I'm puzzled.

Posted : 28/10/2018 8:18 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

OK - I have neither MODX nor Ableton in order to test. I'm not sure what docs you've referenced thus far - but since Montage is related to MODX, the following may help:

https://yamahasynth.com/montage-category/montage-and-ableton-live-basic-setup-part-i
https://yamahasynth.com/montage-category/montage-and-ableton-live-basic-setup-part-ii
https://yamahasynth.com/montage-category/montage-and-ableton-live-basic-setup-part-iii

Part 1 is an intro. Part 2 begins the basic setup.

Although a bit rough around the edges - there's some good general information in there that may help you get going.

Posted : 28/10/2018 9:43 am
Topic starter

Excellent advice. Thanks. The video prompted me to look at the OPTIONS PREFERENCES in Ableton.
That has always been a source of much confusion. I tried turning on Remote and the MODX is now receiving MIDI, except now the MOX is not receiving.

Well anyhow, now I know where to look. The MODX is doing everything right, it's just a matter of the setting right Preferences in Ableton.
Thanks Again. 😀

Posted : 29/10/2018 1:56 am
Topic starter

I upgraded to Ableton 10 a few months ago, just getting all of the bugs worked out of my songs, and now with the new MODX, I'm finding some of the Ableton settings and clips that were created with my old MX just are not working anymore. To make it more complex, I use PUSH to play my keyboards a lot of the time, and I use Clypex to change keys on my Ableton PUSH. It has a lot of issues also.
I had to delete several clips and create new ones because Clypex / External Instrument just does not want to cooperate with this new synth sometimes.

Posted : 29/10/2018 7:34 am
Topic starter

Update, At one point, after working on (Options, preferences, LINK MIDI) in Ableton, the MODX was receiving MIDI input from Ableton. But it recently quit working. The drivers on my PC may be corrupted, so I uninstalled the drivers, and installed again, still no sound. My MOX6 sends and receives, but the MODX sends only, will not receive.
I looked in Utility, Settings, Advanced; MIDI I/O mode and changed the setting from Multi to Single. BINGO !! That's the ticket.

If your MODX will not play MIDI data from Ableton Live 10, Go to: Utility, Settings, Advanced; MIDI I/O mode, Single. Works for ME !!

Posted : 20/11/2018 2:24 pm
Topic starter

Thanks to everyone for your input. Forums like this are the best source of information. The manuals don't explain everything, I have never tried to call Yamaha for help.
So the first source, and last resort for information is always the forum.

Posted : 20/11/2018 2:28 pm

I have ableton 10 and a modx8 and I have absolute no problem. I would love to help but I don't know how.

Posted : 20/11/2018 2:44 pm
Bad Mister

I have ableton 10 and a modx8 and I have absolute no problem. I would love to help but I don't know how.

Post a screenshot (picture) of your MIDI Setup and Audio Setup screens from Ableton. That would help users get setup. Describe your workflow - you know, do you record MIDI tracks, audio tracks, etc.... That would help others. Most of the question here are related to the initial settings in the DAW.

Posted : 20/11/2018 7:37 pm

If your MODX will not play MIDI data from Ableton Live 10, Go to: Utility, Settings, Advanced; MIDI I/O mode, Single. Works for ME !!

So grateful for this tip. I had a separate issue with Midi Output from my MODX8 and this tip has saved the day.

Cheers.

Posted : 14/01/2021 3:27 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us