Note Shift vs Transpose

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi There,

If you go to the Utility page you can see a box "Note Shift" but also below this is a box "Transpose".

I believe the "transpose" corresponds to the buttons on the front panel, but note shift is somewhat different.

Eg. I am playing a semitone lower (for the singer) so I use the Transpose button to bring the whole keyboard a semitone lower.

However this also moves the split point a semitone lower.

If I use the "Note Shift" function this does not appear to happen.

Apart from this I am not sure how these 2 function are different and how they would be used differently?

Does anyone have any better understanding of the difference between these 2 functions - I can't see anything on the forum related to this?

cheers

Dave

Posted : 08/04/2023 10:56 am
Bad Mister

TRANSPOSE travels OUT via MIDI.
NOTE SHIFT only affects the internal MODX tone generator.

In common language the word Transpose typically is used to refer to changing key. Within the technology of a keyboard synthesizer the term “Note Shift” became necessary to differentiate between what is transmitted and what the receiving device does with it… the term “Note Shift” is used by Yamaha to refer to a change in key that is exclusively the result of changing what the Tone Generator (synth engine) generates.

It is necessary to separate these two functions… because on the Keyboard C3 = middle “C” but what sounds can be shifted by the receiving synth engine (Tone Generator).

__If you want to TRANSPOSE you can transpose items that transmit. You can Transpose the keyboard, for example… this is because it Transmits. You can Transpose the MIDI data on a Pattern Track (Tracks also Transmit).

__If you NOTE SHIFT something you are note shifting the item that receives data. You can Note Shift a PART of a PERFORMANCE. Say you layer a piano and strings across all keys… Note Shift (not Transpose) will allow you raise the strings independent of the piano. You can Note Shift the Tone Generator.

To affect the MODX overall:
Press [UTILITY]
Touch “Settings” > “Sound”

Notice “Note Shift” is listed for the TONE GENERATOR - changing this only affects the (local) MODX, not what goes OUT via MIDI.
Notice “Transpose” is listed for the KEYBOARD - changing this also changes what goes OUT via MIDI.

Hope that helps.

Extra Credit: Keeping the Split Point…
If you are seeking to keep your programming (split point) the same… we recommend you leave the global (Utility > “Settings” > “Sound” settings the same as defaulted… and instead Edit your individual Performance, as follows:

If you wish to keep the physical split point fixed, then to alter the key, you should edit the “Note Shift” setting of receiving Part.

Recall your Performance
*Select* the Part you wish to change.
[EDIT] > “Part Settings” > “Pitch”
Find the “Note Shift” parameter; each increment (+1/-1) is a semitone;
+12 = up one octave, -12 is down one octave.

“Note Shift” will allow you to change this Part without physically moving your split point.

Say you have Part 1 as an electric piano C3 thru G8
And you have a bass in the left hand C-2 thru B2
If you want keep that physical split point at B2/C3, but you want to lower the electric piano by an octave… you would *select* Part 1 (electric piano), EDIT > “Part Setting” > “Pitch” > “Note Shift” = -12
Press [STORE]
Name and STORE your new Performance to your USER Bank.

Posted : 08/04/2023 12:01 pm
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Bad Mister for your detailed reply.

My situation is that our singer has requested all songs to go a semitone lower - to give her voice a bit more longevity throughout the night.

At home I practice the songs along with the records/youtubes/spotifys in the original keys and instead of altering all performances (for 30-40 songs with 5-6 parts each) it seems easier to use the Utility and the Note Shift on the Tone Generator.

Under Extra credit above, you are saying that you recommend doing it via each part in the performance - I am not sure but is doing it globally not recommended for such a situation as mine?

Doing it this way seems to retain the split points.

Apologies if I am misinterpreting this.

regards

Dave

Posted : 08/04/2023 1:37 pm
Bad Mister

Under Extra credit above, you are saying that you recommend doing it via each part in the performance - I am not sure but is doing it globally not recommended for such a situation as mine?

Doing it this way seems to retain the split points.

Note Shift will always leave the physical split point alone. You’ll, immediately, know if it works for you and your specific situation. There are lots of different scenarios that exist, however.
_Changing just one side of a split, for example;
_or just changing one layer independent of the others in the same Performance.
(Neither of which could be accomplished using the global or Performance Common “Note Shift”)

Given Performances can contain multiple Parts it is best to know both the global method and the method to work each Part, individually. Often when creating splits, the left hand (bass) needs to be adjusted based on whether you have 61, 76, or 88 keys… just in terms of being comfortable, particularly when you’re also playing a right hand sound.
Perhaps the right hand sound needs to feature the pitches in the octave below middle “C”, yet you physically want the split point to remain at middle “C”

The recommendation also is so that you don’t wind up at your next gig (different singer) with your keyboard a semitone off.
By editing/creating a specific Performance - you can leave yourself a ‘hint’ in the Performance name that lets you know: this program is a a semitone shifted!!! add like “-1” to the end of the Performance name.

Posted : 08/04/2023 5:31 pm
Prominent Member

If you go to the Utility page you can see a box "Note Shift" but also below this is a box "Transpose".

Bad Mister didn't mention it but there is also a "Note Shift" parameter for the performance as a whole. Edit the performance and on the General Tab of the 'Edit - Common/Audio' page you will find it.

Change that parameter and save the performance - then you don't need to edit each part.

Eg. I am playing a semitone lower (for the singer) so I use the Transpose button to bring the whole keyboard a semitone lower.

Transpose changes the MIDI note number of the key you press. The MIDI spec assigns note number 60 to Middle C. So, by default, when you press Middle C the keyboard (Bad Mister told you transpose is in the keyboard section) generates MIDI note 60.

If you transpose +1 the pressing Middle C will generate MIDI note 61, +2 generates note 62 and so on.

However this also moves the split point a semitone lower.

Well yes, and no. It seems that way because on the Modx screen you defined the note limit as C3 (middle C on Yamaha instruments. But the Middle C on your keyboard now generates MIDI note 61 which is C#/Db.

The B below Middle C is now the key that generates MIDI note 60 and gives the impression that the split point has changed. The split point is still note 60 but the B key is now generating that note.

So the split point based on the key you need to press has changed but the split point based on the MIDI note number (which isn't visible) hasn't changed.

If I use the "Note Shift" function this does not appear to happen.

Correct - "Note Shift" does NOT change the note values that the keyboard produces. So no matter how much you shift the Middle C key will still generate MIDI note 60 (assuming no 'transpose' is in effect.

A friend could really confuse you by transposing an octave up and also note shifting an octave down. For simpler performances using only the Modx you wouldn't hear a difference.

But for others you would have chaos - particularly if you had a DAW or external instrument in the loop.

Posted : 08/04/2023 6:13 pm
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Andrew and Bad Mister,

I think at this stage I will keep with the Global Note Shift for the times when I'm with the singer who wants to go a semitone down. That way I can easily practice along with the original keys at home. I have been there and done that with starting songs in the wrong key so I am pretty vigilant about checking the Note Shift is returned to default as necessary.

Posted : 11/04/2023 10:55 am
Prominent Member

I have been there and done that with starting songs in the wrong key so I am pretty vigilant about checking the Note Shift is returned to default as necessary.

Good - you need to be.

Because there is a 'gotcha' for those global settings that can really screw things up.

Global note shift changes ARE saved when you power down but global Octave Shift and global Transpose settings are NOT saved.

You might want to do some tests, and take some notes, by checking ALL of the global settings so you learn which ones are saved on power down and which ones aren't.

I find it useful to keep a written check list of all 'non default' global settings needed for gigs since there isn't any way to return those settings to default without affecting other things.

Posted : 11/04/2023 4:49 pm
Bad Mister

Recommended Workflow:
Invest in several USB sticks that you use to save your data. As you add new Performances and change your Utility mode settings, the instrument will keep record of your settings if you remember to SAVE a User File.

When you have programmed new Performances or have changed your three “Quick Setup” templates, or have changed your system preferences while in UTILITY these all get written into your most recent USER File (.X8U).

—Knowing that your system settings get written to any User File—
Be sure to review your system settings before creating a User File.
Be careful when loading a User File created by someone else (that file contains their Utility settings, their “Quick Setup” templates, etc) This means if they created a file with their instrument tuned to A432, it will change your instrument to that tuning preference. (You’ll see it from time to time in a post — the keyboard mysteriously is out-of-tune, and they never adjusted the Transpose, Note Shift, or Tuning. It can happen if/when you load a file that contains that information).
Be careful loading some of your early attempts at programming (older files).

Memorizing your Utility settings is a feature, but can cause issues if you are not aware of how it works.
If you encounter a change in your Utility preferences, you can initialize just the Utility (System) settings — this returns them to factory defaults. [UTILITY] > “Settings” > System” > “Initialize All Settings”

Posted : 11/04/2023 6:07 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us