Notifications
Clear all

Pre recorded midi > Hardware Synth help

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Version: Ableton Live 10 Suite

How can I set up my hardware synth to play my pre-recorded midi tracks in Ableton?

Lets say I have a pre-recorded midi track, and I want to use my YAMAHA MODX7 as a slave to play the sounds / presets

How would I make that happen? External Instrument? Can it be done via USB? Please let me know how to properly set it up

Posted : 23/02/2021 3:39 pm
Bad Mister

Welcome to YamahaSynth!
We can help you with your MODX.

You can connect your MODX to your computer with a USB cable... from the USB “To Host” port on the MODX back panel directly to an available USB port on your computer. See page 55 of your MODX Owner’s Manual.

You need to download, install, and select the “Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver” version for your particular computer type and operating system.
You don’t mention if you have a Windows or Macintosh computer, but install the appropriate driver for your computer.

Download Link: — Official Yamaha MODX Download Page

The MODX will act as a MIDI and Audio Interface for your computer.
Connect your sound system to the Main L/R Outputs of the MODX, all MODX audio and all computer audio will come from the MODX.

On the MODX:
From the [HOME] screen__
Press [CATEGORY]
Set “Bank/Favorite” = All
Set “Attribute” = All
Select “Init”
Select “Multi/GM”
This creates a default 16 Part multi-timbral setup with 16 “placeholder” programs -one per Part slot. You will substitute for these, one-by-by, selecting the instrument you wish to sound from that Part slot. Each Part slot is on a channel corresponding to its number, 1-16

Press [HOME]
In the top center of the screen tap the “FX” logo
Find “KBD CTRL LOCK”
Set this to OFF

This will create a situation where only one Part at a time can be selected.
So in order to play a Part, you *Select* that Part... on a MODX you can do so by either tapping the Part slot in the screen or by pressing the [PART SELECT_MUTE/SOLO] button then tap “Select” and the Part Number.

Press [HOME]
To start to make instrument selections, start with Part 1
*Select* Part 1 — simply tap the “TYPE/NAME” box that corresponds to Part 1 in the screen
A pop-in menu will appear
Tap “Category Search”
The top line of the screen will indicate “Part 1 - Category Search”
Set “Bank/Favorite” = All
Set “Attribute” = Single
This will create a situation where you can review all Single Part programs (green)
Use the “Main” and “Sub” Category options to narrow your search.

Rinse and repeat for each Part.
When you have your instrument selections
Press [STORE]
You will be offered to “Store a New Performance”
Give it a Name (very important) and click “Done”

For how to use your DAW please refer to its documentation.

Hope that helps.
While on the Download page make sure you have the following items in addition to the “Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver”:
MODX Owner’ Manual pdf
MODX Reference Manual pdf
MODX Data List pdf
MODX Supplementary Manual pdf
MODX Synthesizer Parameter Manual pdf

Latest firmware: version 2.52 posted this past Monday
MODX CONNECT for your computer type

Posted : 24/02/2021 8:54 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us