Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Recording MODX- MIDI Drum tracks - Externally trigged from VDrums

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Need some Guidance on why I'm loosing MIDI notes when recording into the pattern sequencer via a standard MIDI cable coming directly from the Roland TD 50 set. Notes are being dropped-mainly from the HI Hat . When I record drums from the MODX keys, I do not have this problem. In the MODX Utilities MIDI IO menu, I have MIDi sync set to MIDI.

If I record MIDI directly into logic, I do not loose any notes played from the Vdrums. This problem also happens when recording midi into the MODX Performance Sequencer. I am running the latest 2.5 Firmware on the MODX

Im really liking the new pattern sequencer on the MODX and it makes it very convenient not to have to carry around a laptop for backing tracks Also Triggering MODX drums from external E drums set provides more of a live- feel to the performance

Posted : 08/07/2020 5:10 pm
Bad Mister

Need some Guidance on why I'm loosing MIDI notes when recording into the pattern sequencer via a standard MIDI cable coming directly from the Roland TD 50 set. Notes are being dropped-mainly from the HI Hat . When I record drums from the MODX keys, I do not have this problem. In the MODX Utilities MIDI IO menu, I have MIDi sync set to MIDI.

If I record MIDI directly into logic, I do not loose any notes played from the Vdrums. This problem also happens when recording midi into the MODX Performance Sequencer. I am running the latest 2.5 Firmware on the MODX

Curious. If I understand, recording in via MIDI, whether from the pad set via standard MIDI, or in from Logic via USB, you are experiencing dropped notes...

That’s actually a good sign because it makes it just a general MIDI issue (Not specifically a 5-pin issue or a specifically a USB issue).

_ It is still not clear to me how exactly you are recording into the Pattern Sequencer from an external device. Tricky, to be sure.
What channel, or channels, are you transmitting IN and how are you starting and stopping MODX record (these are not trivial matters when recording IN via MIDI — particularly into a Pattern Sequence). Because of the cycling nature and the Record Track situation, it is not necessarily as you might think.

If you had asked the question: How do I record my Drum Pads into the MODX? and How do I transfer MIDI data into the MODX Performance Recorder in real-time? I would have answered as follows:

I’m going to recommend that you setup to record into the MODX Performance Recorder while it is in linear MIDI Song. The MIDI Song has the ability to record all incoming Tracks simultaneously - placing each Channel on a correspondingly number Track.

Then, after recording into the MODX, if you want to break it down into Pattern Scenes you can do so using the MODX “Edit/Job” > Song/Event > “Get Phrase”

The Pattern Sequence is designed mainly for recording from the MODX (Local) Keyboard. As to why the missing notes, I can’t say...without knowing more about how you have it setup. Try recording to the “Play/Rec” > “MIDI” (Song) - see if that improve (or eliminate) the issue.

Let us know.

Posted : 08/07/2020 6:58 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us