Recording patterns to Audio

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi

I have recorded a pattern to the sequencer.

Can I record this to audio within the MODX?

It seems in audio record mode I can only record live playing, but not record a recorded pattern?

Posted : 30/05/2020 12:05 pm
Bad Mister

I have recorded a pattern to the sequencer.

Can I record this to audio within the MODX?

It seems in audio record mode I can only record live playing, but not record a recorded pattern?

That is correct.

The Performance Recorder has three different functions:
__Audio Record - it can record your performance on the synth and whatever you plug into the A/D In directly to a USB flash stick connected to the “To Device” port. 74 minutes of continuous stereo recording is available. .wav Audio file is the result. You can play and sing and document your entire real-time performance.

__MIDI (Song) - it can record your performance on the synth as MIDI data to a linear construction, including the ability to Overdub, Punch In/Out. Song data is stored internally in the Data Utility > Song folder and can exported as a .mid (Standard MIDI File).

__Pattern - it can record your performance on the synth as MIDI data to 8 looping Scenes, 001-256 measures each. These Scenes are a combination of active instrument sounds, mix conditions and MIDI Track data that can be used in the construction of linear Songs by ‘Chaining’ the SCENEs into a linear time line (play order). Each Pattern Scene can be exported as a .mid (Standard MIDI File).

If you wish to export your MIDI Song or Pattern Sequence as audio, playback of the Song or Pattern Sequencer data will trigger the MODX Tone Generator, if you wish to capture this as an Audio Recording, the MODX delivers this audio output as Analog signal (to the Main L/R 1/4” Outputs on the back panel) and as Digital signal (to the Main USB L/R via the “To Host” port). You also have the ability to route specific Parts to isolated assignable Outputs (USB 1-8) via USB.

What you can do
Option 1: USB Record complex
Install your free copy of Cubase on a Mac or Windows computer... came with the MODX
Install Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver appropriate for your computer
Using MODX CONNECT “Drag and Drop“ the .mid sequence data from the MODX Data Utility Folder into a Cubase Project
Setup to render audio from your MIDI Tracks

Option 2: USB Record simple
Download an App (for your phone or tablet) that is able to record .wav data via Class Compliant usb connection. USB cable and adapter required.
Example: Yamaha Cloud Recorder App
Link: Yamaha Cloud Recorder App

Option 3: Analog Record simple
Connect your synths Main L/R Outputs to a handheld recorder with appropriate cabling.

Posted : 31/05/2020 12:34 pm
 dave
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks BM,

I had been doing Option 1 and 3 via recording the midi/audio to Cubase, but I might try the MODX Connect Utility drag and drop method - sounds good too.

Option 2 might be good too.

cheers

Stay safe

Posted : 31/05/2020 12:51 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us