Clear all

Reverb - Best/Favorites

14 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

I know this is somewhat subjective; however it never hurts to ask other people's opinions and get some reference Performances to check out.

I am not that familiar with Yamaha's workstations/synths over the past 25+ years, so I don't know what Reverb effects are new, most improved or considered to be the highest quality reverb on the MODX/Montage.

Does anyone know which reverb effect(s) are considered to be the best on the MODX/Montage Synth, and/or what your personal preference is?
And which reverb effect(s) are new to the Montage/MODX that were not on previous Motif or other Yamaha Synths in the past?
Also, can you name/list any preset Performances that use these best/favorite go to reverbs so that I can check them out?

EDIT: Note that this is for playing live, regarding mainly the Master 'reverb' effects, and not regarding reverb effects for recording!

Posted : 13/05/2019 4:28 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

My view of reverb is whichever one reverb comes stock in the combo amplifier I have is good enough for everything. That MODX has a ton of these is generally more choice than I need and I don't really have a favorite out of them. There are not some of the more boutique sorts of reverbs and others have brought that up (shimmer and bloom and all that). So those folks may say their favorite reverb isn't a choice.

I see reverb more like a doorstop than an art piece. Not too worried about the color or shape of the doorstop as long as it props the door open. I think this comes from a live usage bias. The room is going to do so much to the sound - not sure reverb A vs B is going to matter much for me.

Take your sounds and run through the presets. I can't hear for you.

Posted : 14/05/2019 5:32 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

My view of reverb is whichever one reverb comes stock in the combo amplifier I have is good enough for everything. That MODX has a ton of these is generally more choice than I need and I don't really have a favorite out of them. There are not some of the more boutique sorts of reverbs and others have brought that up (shimmer and bloom and all that). So those folks may say their favorite reverb isn't a choice.

Take your sounds and run through the presets. I can't hear for you.

I do plan to check what sounds best in preset Performances to my ears; however I am curious if there is a list somewhere of the various reverbs on the MODX/Montage that includes details on when they were 1st introduced, whether they are new to the MODX/Montage or are effects that were brought over from the Motif & earlier synths?
I read one thread on here where BM talks about a specific reverb effect that was first introduced on a Motif, and I am curious if there is documentation on all the various effects, that might including some details...

not sure reverb A vs B is going to matter much for me.

I tried a few of the Insert reverbs/settings on a snair last night and then compared against doing a rev send to master reverb effects, and there was definitely enough difference for me to choose the master reverb effect. It made the snair sound much better to my ears. Of course this is subjective, but I had a hard time trying to the get Insert Reverbs/settings to make the snair sound really good.

Posted : 15/05/2019 6:41 pm

You can check the list with all effects (and not only) here:
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/2/1192592/modx_en_dl_b0.pdf

The HD reverbs have been added with Montage/MODX. Before that, the REV-X was the big thing on the Motif XF/MOXF. The SPX and R3 are recreations of famous Yamaha hardware (from the 90s, if I am not mistaken). Apart from these, there are a few special types - space, gated and reverse, which are pretty situational.

After all, it's all about what do you like and need, in studio or live.

Posted : 16/05/2019 3:47 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Motif XF OS v1.5 (released in January 2014) added HD Reverb HALL, HD Room, HD Plate. So these effects predate Montage/MODX.

Rev-X looks to introduced sometime around 2003 with the SPX2000 and digital consoles of that era. The Motif XF was announced in 2010 - so Rev-X predates Motif XF by a few keyboard generations. Motif ES aligns with 2003 / SPX2000 and the ES did indeed include Rev-X.

Posted : 16/05/2019 4:29 am
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

You can check the list with all effects (and not only) here:

The HD reverbs have been added with Montage/MODX. Before that, the REV-X was the big thing on the Motif XF/MOXF. The SPX and R3 are recreations of famous Yamaha hardware (from the 90s, if I am not mistaken). Apart from these, there are a few special types - space, gated and reverse, which are pretty situational.

After all, it's all about what do you like and need, in studio or live.

Thanks, I think I'll put the Space reverb on everything :p

Posted : 16/05/2019 3:32 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Motif XF OS v1.5 (released in January 2014) added HD Reverb HALL, HD Room, HD Plate. So these effects predate Montage/MODX.

Rev-X looks to introduced sometime around 2003 with the SPX2000 and digital consoles of that era. The Motif XF was announced in 2010 - so Rev-X predates Motif XF by a few keyboard generations. Motif ES aligns with 2003 / SPX2000 and the ES did indeed include Rev-X.

Perfect, thx! Exactly what I was looking for. I'll definitely play with and compare the HD Reverb's against the Rev-X. I'm sure they're both awesome quality and will be fairly objective to my ears which one I'll use in a particular Performance.

Do you know if the newer HD Reverbs are (or based off) Convolution Reverbs?

Posted : 16/05/2019 3:39 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

What I'm posting here is found by using popular search engines. Maybe you can try finding the information first?

Posted : 16/05/2019 6:27 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

What I'm posting here is found by using popular search engines. Maybe you can try finding the information first?

I did try google first, but must not be using the right search words. The only thing I had managed to find was the Data List .pdf but it doesn't have any history on when the reverbs/effects were released, etc.

Here are the search words that I tried:

montage reverbs
yamaha montage reverbs
yamaha montage reverbs list
yamaha montage effects
modx reverbs
yamaha modx reverbs
list of modx reverb history
yamaha modx list of reverbs history
yamaha modx effects
yamaha modx effects
yamaha synth effects
yamaha synth effects history
yamaha synth effects history list
yamaha synth reverbs history
history of yamaha synthesizer effects
history of yamaha synthesizer reverb
history of yamaha synthesizer reverb effects

*Note that I was not at home when searching and didn't know any of the actual reverb effects names on the Montage/MODX to use for searching, and didn't have a whole lot of time, as I was checking during breaks & lunch time...

I am curious as to what you typed in the search engine to find this information?

Posted : 16/05/2019 6:54 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

yamaha motif "rev-x"
yamaha motif "hd reverb"

Note that the parameter manual https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/1/812531/synthesizer_en_pm_c0.pdf has some information on the origin of various reverb effects. From there you can research the devices said to be the source instrument/effect/component.

Posted : 16/05/2019 8:46 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

yamaha motif "rev-x"
yamaha motif "hd reverb"

Note that the parameter manual https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/1/812531/synthesizer_en_pm_c0.pdf has some information on the origin of various reverb effects. From there you can research the devices said to be the source instrument/effect/component.

Thanks, I will keep that manual in my back pocket going forward and add 'motif' to my google searches going forward 😉

btw, I was comparing those two reverbs last night. Both sound a bit different and have their own character, but I can't say one is that much better than the other. Depending on what instrument and how much you 'send' to the reverb is used, each one can sound better to my ears. i.e. one sounds better for a snair and the other sounds better for piano; however if the send is really high, thus the reverb more wet, then it could be the reverse...

Both are great and add to the color pallet to paint with. 🙂

Posted : 17/05/2019 1:15 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I think maximum settings for reverb are primarily for Dick Dale surf guitar.

Posted : 17/05/2019 5:23 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

I think maximum settings for reverb are primarily for Dick Dale surf guitar.

That would definitely be one good use. Another would be for an extreme effect on piano or some instrument. Also sometimes it can be used on snare and floor tom for a big effect at the end of a chorus or bridge before going into the next verse or whatever part of the song. Maybe use the superknob for the max reverb effect for whatever purpose and then dial it down to normal levels for most of the song...

Posted : 17/05/2019 8:12 pm
Bad Mister

The MONTAGE/MODX feature an accumulation of several decades of Yamaha processors. The HD was developed and added during the Motif XF life cycle. See the article link below for a discussion of the changes between the Rev-X and the latest HD. Even though written for the XF, it relates 100% to the implementation in the MONTAGE/MODX.

Extra Credit: Introduction of the HD Reverbs

Reverberation is used because when miking an instrument or any source, for that matter, placing a microphone very near the sound source is done for isolation purposes. We use a technique called “close miking”... literally, the microphone is within inches of the sound source. This is not natural. Those microphones are placed closer to the object than you would ever put your ears. The microphone on the snare drum, you wouldn’t dream of putting an ear that close!

You wouldn’t dare let a singer belt out a tune inches from your head either! Point being the bonus of close miking technique is it gets a great direct sound of the object (eliminating anything other than the intended target), but it does not sound natural because our ear/brain process sound in an environment — not direct. Normally, the sound is bouncing off of surfaces, walls, floor, objects... we process the direct sound through the air, and the reflected sound that bounces off of surfaces to calculate distance, direction and a sense of where we are (indoors, outdoors, close, far, small room, large room, gymnasium, etc.) Perhaps an ideal ratio would be 89% direct from instrument to ear, 11% reflected off of the environment (but this subjective and will depend on the illusion you are trying to create.

So Reverb is a necessary evil to give back the distance taken away when we use the “close miking” technique to capture sound with directional microphones. How you use reverb is up to you. After all it is an illusion, much like “stereo” is creating the illusion that all the space between your left and right Speaker is in play... you can have a sound seem to move across right in front of the listener. Reverb is the illusion of space/distance. It is that ‘overhang’ the decay in sound after the signal source has stopped vibrating. Reverb is the aural of the sound after it stops generating vibrations. We like reverberation of the shower because the sonic aural allows us to hear ourselves better so we can correct out pitch.

It is an Effect. You can move a single event close to or far from the listener by controlling parameters in real time.
Hint: Experience the difference between change Rev Send and Rev Time. They “feel” different.
The “CFX Concert” and the “Imperial Grand” (Bosendorfer) both use the Super Knob to change the room size. You’re meant to set this (roll the piano into a specific space and play it), but no one is to say you can’t play the piano off into the distance. Slowly raising the Send level and increasing the Rev Time, definitely puts more distance between the instrument and the listner’s position.

Posted : 17/05/2019 8:40 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us