Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Reverb changing on patch/performance

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I have a Moogish patch (saw waves and such) that I worked hard on to get sounding right (70's Heart stuff). However, the reverb changes when I go to another patch and come back, even after saving. I've tried using all the appropriate reverb types, Hall, Room, Stage and it basically sounds like it's on infinite Reverb Time. I'm guessing I have a corrupted patch, but I don't want to redo it if it's a somewhat easy fix.

Thanks.

Posted : 29/05/2019 10:17 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The easiest way to "mess up" reverb would be to bump the [EQ/FX] Knob [8] which is "Reverb" (offsets reverbs). This knob adjusts a different setting if the entire Performance is selected (no PARTs - achievable by pressing [PERFORMANCE] HOME) and also different setting depending on which PART is selected (each with their own Reverb offset). These would generally be set at 12 o'clock - but no telling what was intended in your original. Just something to check.

You can quickly learn if it's reverb send related, the master FX related, or insertion related by enabling/disabling each level of effects. There's less to look at as you move down the chain Ins -> System -> Master

Posted : 30/05/2019 8:09 am
Bad Mister

I have a Moogish patch (saw waves and such) that I worked hard on to get sounding right (70's Heart stuff). However, the reverb changes when I go to another patch and come back, even after saving. I've tried using all the appropriate reverb types, Hall, Room, Stage and it basically sounds like it's on infinite Reverb Time. I'm guessing I have a corrupted patch, but I don't want to redo it if it's a somewhat easy fix.

I recommend isolating the problem. Technically speaking, the Reverb cannot change when you return to a Performance unless something is telling it to change.

If you want specific help with this programming, either give a detailed description or attach to your post a zipped MODX CONNECT (.X8B) File, or post it to Soundmondo... we’d be happy to help you sort out what is actually causing what sounds like infinite Reverb Time.

Often it is not appreciated the difference between Reverb Send (the amount of signal sent to reverberate) and Reverb Time (the duration of the reverberation). To the untrained ear both sound like “more Reverb” when turned up, but they are distinctly two completely different results. Both clearly increase something about what you are hearing, but listening and recognizing the difference is often only perceived after knowing what to listen for.

Same is true with the change in audio level between the Dry signal and the Wet (or effected) signal. Changing the Dry Level while leaving the Wet signal the same creates the illusion of distance. This same change in distance is not necessarily created when both the Dry and Wet signal change together.

One can sound like turning the music down (like when music fades out at the end of a recording, totally unnatural), while the other can sound like something moving away from the listener... if the environment stays the same and there is less and less direct (Dry) Signal you feel as if a greater distance is developing between you and the sound source.

In the case of Rev Send vs. Rev Time... increasing Rev Time can make it seem like “infinite Rev Time” — I think the actual maximum is 30 seconds (in music that can seem like an eternity). Check to make sure you have not assigned Reverb Time to a Controller, it can change the length of Time the reverberation takes to fade out.

From the HOME screen
Press [EDIT]
On the upper “Common/Audio” level of the architecture, touch “Control” > “Control Assign” > here in the Control matrix, look for the Control Set Destination “Rev Time”... there are four Control Set Destinations shown per PAGE, four potential PAGEs. You are looking for “Rev Time”... determine what is the Controller (_“Source” )

Posted : 30/05/2019 3:24 pm
Topic starter

Found it! The Breath Controller was changing it +64. I don't use a Breath controller, it must have been from a performance I copied. I swear I started with an Init, cause of problems using my old S90. Next time, Init programming from scratch.

Thanks a lot.

Posted : 30/05/2019 8:03 pm
Bad Mister

? Breath Controller +64? Not sure what this would have to do with anything, seriously.

Posted : 30/05/2019 8:33 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us