Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Saving A/D On/Off and A/D Global settings??

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

The default boot condition for MODX seems to be with A/D Input OFF - have to press the physical button to turn it on. Also, under the Utility/ Effect Switch menu there is a setting for Global A/D which defaults to OFF. If I change that to ON, the setting isn't saved with User data.

Any way to get the system to remember either or both of these settings?

Thanks.

Posted : 02/04/2019 11:29 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

There are lots of things I think should be considered "System" but are not. Maybe this is another one. It's not under the "Settings" -> "System" screen. Maybe that's it. The other parameters that are not saved are not under that screen either. Although I'm sure there are exceptions to this.

The Global A/D and Global Tempo are new parameters. So maybe that's part of why they're not saved. Not able/wanting to shoehorn these into the file format.

For example - if you create a user template -- which involves you typing in a name for the template -- MODX will forget your user templates when you switch off the instrument. Seems like bad policy - but that's how it works. Dynamic memory that lasts as long as the instrument is left on. Memory storage type is a little different from what is and is not saved to a file - but a similar expectation vs. reality difference.

Posted : 03/04/2019 3:47 am
Bad Mister

The default boot condition for MODX seems to be with A/D Input OFF - have to press the physical button to turn it on. Also, under the Utility/ Effect Switch menu there is a setting for Global A/D which defaults to OFF. If I change that to ON, the setting isn't saved with User data.

Any way to get the system to remember either or both of these settings?

Thanks.

Thanks for the question.
No, there is not. Both of these default conditions are by design. The MODX A/D Input, like any audio input channel on any mixer, defaults to OFF. You do not activate it until when you attach a load and until you have gain staged the signal. From a practical design perspective, you would not leave an empty input channel open to the system Outputs... (that’s just asking for noise to enter the system).

The GLOBAL A/D, again, by design, is activated only when you wish to keep your A/D settings independent from being stored. That is the point of the parameter. If it is your preference to use the same setting for the A/D through all Performances, you’d set that up when you are checking the level of your A/D Input.

Neither of these conditions is stored in the System... they are designed to be set manually, on demand. The MODX opts to store custom settings for each Performance, by default! But these setting are all in the digital domain.

The mixer in the MODX has both Synthesizer (16) and external audio inputs. Until a mixer slot (Part) has a Source assigned, it defaults to OFF. Once you assign something to the Part, you can store its settings in the Performance.

Analog settings are not memorized... these include the A/D Input button, and the A/D Input GAIN, as well as the main analog Volume. Once analog signal is converted to the digital domain, the A/D channel settings (Volume, Pan, Effects, etc.) will be memorized in the Performance. The settings can be different for each Performance, allowing a Vocoder setup for one Performance, a clean vocal mic setting for another, and a heavily processed vocal in the next, and completely silent in the next.

Because the A/D Input gives the external device a Part within the MODX system, when that A/D Input is an external synth that happens to be under MIDI control of the MODX, you can treat it in a similar fashion to an internal synth sound. You can assign and control effect processing assigned to it, you can morph to it same as you would with an internal synth Part. Controlling and memorizing its volume, Pan position, Effects, etc.

If, however, after setting up the A/D Input you decide you want to keep the same setting for all Performances (you don’t need the different settings per Performance) you would BYPASS this feature by setting GLOBAL A/D = ON. What this does is make the current settings hold throughout all Performances. This was added in a recent firmware update.

You find this Global setting by touching the “FX” icon on the very top line of the screen.

Activating GLOBAL A/D will defeat the Master FX and Master EQ (you can manually opt to use them, it’s your choice).

Posted : 03/04/2019 4:58 am
Topic starter

OK, thanks for the response(s) guys. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. This only is of interest to me because I've simplified my practice rig - running my Nord Stage 2 thru the A/D Input of my MODX6 to avoid needing a mixer. This isn't something I expect to do at live gig. Thanks again.

Posted : 04/04/2019 2:02 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us