Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Simple midi control of a few parts in my MODX. How?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

This is all based on a direct mdi (5 pin) connection between the two keyboards.
Im trying to play two parts in a Performance that has multiple parts, from an external keyboard. I want Piano to play from the MODX6 keyboard, and some brass using a midi keyboard. I normally use splits but hoped i could do it this way and get the full 61 notes for piano while having brass as well. Seems not.

Here's what ive done. New blank Performance. Loaded a two part Piano. This plays from the MODX keyboard and ive set Midi to use Hybrid mode, and set the midi channel to 5 (also on the master keyboard). The master keyboard will also play both parts. Kbd Ctrl is enabled for both parts.
Now i want to add in two brass parts on slots 3 and 4. Now all 4 parts are playing from both keyboards.
I wrongly assumed tuning keyboard control off for the two brass parts would disable them from being played from the MODX keyboard. They just dont play at all. Ok, thats understandable, but where do i go from here?

I tried moving the brass to parts 9 and 10, thinking at least the MODX keyboard wont play them, but the master keyboard is still playing parts 1 and 2 and nothing from 9-10.The master keyboard will only play parts that have keyboard control turned on.

I then set the MODX Midi type to Single, and set channel to 3. I set the same channel on my master keyboard, and still getting all parts that have Keyboard control enabled. This seems wrong.
I then initialized the Advanced midi setting, and Multi worked. My master keyboard is still set on channel 3, and this triggered only part 3 (which has keyboard control off). I set my master keyboard to channel 9, and part 9 now played.
I then changed the MODX midi mode to Single, and channel 3. Now parts 1 and 2 are playing again, and only part 3 if i turn on control. Parts 9-10 arent playing. This seems very random. If some of this sounds contradictory it is, because im sitting here working through the settings as typing, and seem to be getting different results from the same settings. Now i have Hybrid midi set to channel 5, master keyboard set to 5, and only the parts with keyboard control on are playing. i dotn have a part 5, and its not highlighted in yellow in the Midi section on the MODX. Change the master keyboard to 3 and part 3 starts to play, even though the MODX is still set to channel 5 and in Hybrid mode.

So when im using Hybrid mode, it will only play the part corresponding to the channel set on the master keyboard, irrelevant of what the midi Channel is set to on the MODX. Is this correct?

How do i get it to play more than one part over midi, while not having the MODX trigger the parts, or is this just not possible?Just to be clear, im ok with triggering just one part, i can get that working fine.

Sorry this post is so long winded, its taken me almost 2 days to be able to log in on here, so i dont know when i will be able to get back in to answer any questions.

Posted : 20/12/2020 2:00 pm
Bad Mister

From the Supplementary Manual:
[UTILITY] > “Settings” > “Advanced”

When MIDI I/O Mode is set to Hybrid:
Receiving MIDI Data
• MIDI data received via the channel that is set in the MIDI I/O Channel parameter is received on Parts with Keyboard Control Switch set to ON.
• MIDI data received via a channel other than that set in the MIDI I/O Channel parameter or on Parts with Keyboard Control Switch set to Off, is received via the corresponding Part.

Sending MIDI Data
• When Common/Audio is selected and the Part with Keyboard Control Switch set to ON is selected, MIDI data is sent from the channel that is set in the MIDI I/O Channel parameter.
• When a Part with Keyboard Control Switch set to Off is selected, MIDI data is sent from the channel corresponding to the Part.

Translation and Explanation
You can link any Parts, 1-8, via KBD CTRL. Those linked Parts will be treated as one entity... if you select any Common area or any one of the linked Parts, the MODX keys will trigger/control them. And, if you transmit in on the Hybrid Channel, your external controller will be able to trigger/control all the KBD CTRL “linked” Parts, same as the MODX keys would.

Any non-KBD CTRL linked Part can be played with the MODX keys by *selecting* that Part, directly.
Any non-KBD CTRL linked Part can be played with your external controller by transmitting IN on the channel number that corresponds to the unlinked Part you want to play.

MIDI works so that if you transmit Out from your external controller on a specific channel, you match that to the receive channel of the slaved device... as you observed.

You can link multiple Parts (using the KBD CTRL function)... these are treated as a single entity as far as MIDI is concerned.
The non-linked Parts are the equivalent of an entire Motif XF

If your external controller transmits on more than one MIDI channel, simultaneously, you can then control more than just one “Motif XF equivalent” (Part slot).. simply match the Transmit channel(s) of your external controller with the Part number(s) of the MODX Performance that you wish to trigger/control.

Posted : 20/12/2020 2:31 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us