Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

[SOLVED - NO BUG] Mono/Poly Bug in the MODX? What is Causing this Behaviour?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Bassam
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello,

I was tweaking a MODX performance today and when I got to Mono/Poly, no matter what I chose, the sound is always Polyphonic!
Is this a bug? or what could be causing it?

To replicate what I did:
Select "Solo Cello AF1" from the Strings Category (First Page, Second Row, Second Column).
Delete Part 2 of this Performance.
Edit Remaining Part 1.
Go to Part 1 => Common => Part Settings => General and switch it to Mono.
Play a Chord.
In my case, the chord is played the same as the sound is Poly!

Actions I tried:
- Restarted the MODX - NO SUCCESS
- Changed Performance => Edited/tested their Mono/Poly (they work) => Went back to the Performance in question to test it - NO SUCCESS
- Deleted all Control Assignments - NO SUCCESS (why I did that? because the original performance was of 2 parts and the SuperKnob adjusts the level between the 2, so I thought it could be the cause).

Thanks.

Posted : 21/05/2022 7:37 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Not a bug.

"Solo Cello AF1" uses AF1 for something. "AF" (assignable function) is what previous Motifs called the switches that are now [ASSIGN 1] and [ASSIGN 2]. AF1 and AF2 are still used today however in the Performance names.

If you dig into what AF1 or [ASSIGN 1] does, you'll see it uses [ASSIGN 1] as the source controller and the parameter Mono/Poly as the destination. That's a fairly big clue as to what is going on here. The state of the assignable switch is overriding the parameter's setting. You'll see the curve used is bipolar. When the switch is off, there's a maximum offset in one direction and when it is on there is a maximum offset in the other direction. Which will "saturate" the value you program into the setting as you only have "on" and "off" as choices.

I'm not convinced you really deleted all assignments. However, just recall the original Preset and press and hold the [ASSIGN 1] button to hear monophonic and do not press it to hear polyphonic.

If you want to change this, modify the assignment. You'll need to go to both Parts 1 & 2. Filter by Assign 1 and you'll see the destination.

Another clue that [ASSIGN 1] is used in the Control Assign area is to look at XA control. These are set as "Normal" which means, essentially, the assignable switches are not used in XA control. That means they must be assigned in the control matrix instead. Those are the two possibilities.

I still hold that a mode where you can see the parameter's final value after offset would be beneficial. And in this mode where you are seeing the final result if you press the parameter value it takes you straight to the assignment. Values that are assigned will show a different color. Maybe a different background color with the text color as green when higher than the programmed value, red when less than the programmed value, and cyan when equal to the programmed value. Parameters that are not destinations (not assigned) will continue to have the same background and foreground text and touching them will continue to allow modifying the parameter even in the "show offsets" mode.

As many tools as would help take the mystery away to the offsets would help.

Posted : 21/05/2022 8:23 pm
Bassam
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks Jason!

That helps a lot and solves my issue (which was not even an issue).

I had no clue what AF stands for!

and...

I'm not convinced you really deleted all assignments.

You are correct! It seems that I entered the Mod/Control page and deleted "everything" but didn't notice that the Display Filter was only on "ModWheel", which I just noticed after your reply.

Cheers

Posted : 21/05/2022 8:39 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us