Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Sustain pedal problem

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I'm learning pedalling technique with my piano teacher and we've discovered a problem. If you release the sustain pedal fully, then depress it again quickly, the note playing doesn't cut off completely - it cuts out very briefly but then there's a weird and ugly sounding "tail" that keeps playing once the pedal is down again. It's not reverb - that was my first thought so I turned all the sends and returns to zero and it still does it.

This only affects sample-based patches. FM patches work exactly how you'd expect.

I've tried two different On/Off sustain pedals and made sure the correct pedal type (FC4A/FC5) is selected in the options. I've also made abundantly sure I'm not somehow "riding" the pedal, even though that's redundant because it's an on/off pedal!

Below is a link to an MP3 of the problem using the Bosendorfer patch from Soundmondo (but Concert CFX and any other sample patch will show the same problem). The first note, I release the sustain pedal and leave it released. The note stops as you'd expect. For the next two, I release the pedal fully and then quickly press it down again. You can clearly hear the cutoff when I release the pedal (and it's even more apparent if you use a waveform editor to view it), followed by the "tail" when I press it down again. The second one, you can hear that the tail is louder than the cutoff!

I've reported this to Yamaha but I've got no idea if I sent it to the right place so I thought I'd add it here too. Can anyone else reproduce this?

MP3 file

Posted : 03/03/2022 11:15 pm
Topic starter

Thanks Bill. Today is crazy but over the weekend I'll re-record it as you suggest and upload a new file.

Posted : 04/03/2022 12:24 am
Antony
Estimable Member

It might have something to do with the "Half Damper" function.... that's about as much as I can tell you, but its probably worth a look-up in the Manuals.

Posted : 04/03/2022 8:12 am

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/problem-with-sustain-pedal#reply-105894

Does this link address your issue Lindsay?

Posted : 04/03/2022 1:59 pm
Topic starter

Graham -- yes, it does, thank you. It was indeed the "Damper Resonance" insert causing the tail I was describing, and once turned off the sound does what I expected.

It's interesting to read that discussion though and how what the MODX is doing is actually *more* like what a real piano would do in that situation. I haven't played a real piano in years and I guess that shows!

Posted : 04/03/2022 10:42 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us