Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Transpose Display

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

MODX7 purchased a few weeks ago. LOVE IT! I've read through MANY Montage and MODX forums looking for answer and found some discussions but no definitive answer...so here's question:

When I temporarily transpose the keyboard (globally, not note shift) to help with rough voice days or to match a recorded version of a song for practice, I can't see anywhere on the display that tells me how many semitones it is transposed to. I do see the quick "peek a boo" that comes down while making the shifts, but it goes away and then nothing on display. There seems to be room on the display at the top but I'm not an engineer so it may be too crowded already? Any plans for this? TIA!

Posted : 14/09/2019 11:51 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Better indications of transpose have been asked for. Some of us have been "bitten" live using transpose and coming back to the next set with a big keyboard intro that starts in the wrong key.

Check out this menu:

[UTILITY] "Settings" -> "Sound". And look at the "Transpose" parameter under the "Keyboard" category. MODX reference manual A0 page 187-188.

Posted : 15/09/2019 8:46 am
Bad Mister

Current situation is nothing on the HOME screen alerts you that the Keyboard has been Transposed (by Semitones). The glowing button indicates when the Octave has been changed and by how far (speed of flashes), but the semitones of the Transpose Offset is unfortunately not indicated on the HOME screen.

What you can do now
You will have to either hear that it is Transposed, or refer to the [UTILITY] screen, or press the [SHIFT] button and observe the OCT -/+ button (if the Oct+ button lights your Instrument is Transposed above normal; if the Oct- button lights your Instrument is a Transposed below normal). Press [SHIFT] + both [OCT] buttons to quickly reset the Transpose by Semitone to normal.

Extra Credit:
Because the Octave buttons do glow when you have altered the data sent by the Keyboard (and this is hard to miss whether you are viewing the Home screen, or not), I recommend using the Octave Shift in the direction you wish to change, then use the [SHIFT] + [OCT] buttons to Transpose by semitone to increment in the opposite direction to reach the exact value. This yields the same result tuning-wise and has the added benefit of a warning beacon (the [OCT] light) in case you’ve forgotten that you have capo’d the Keyboard.

Example, you want to lower the Keyboard a half step... Use the [OCT-] button to lower the Keyboard -1 octave, then using [SHIFT] + [OCT+] to Transpose the keyboard up +11 semitones. This is the same as lowering the Transpose -1 but you get the benefit of an indication.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 15/09/2019 7:26 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

... at least it sounds like it's recognized that this presents an issue under current implementation and that adding a bag-full of button presses (along with calculating the number of presses needed) to get a warning LED to display can be problematic in its own right.

Maybe this can be addressed in the future. LEDs have my vote along with the screen indication. Screen is incrementally better - but I really try not to depend on the screen at a gig due to angle/contrast (competition with sun for outdoor gigs).

Posted : 15/09/2019 9:16 pm
Bad Mister

The original poster recognizes it as an issue, as do you, I simply offer a solution within the boundaries of the current firmware, (as always). At the end of the day you can use it or refuse it, that’s up to you. If you choose not to use it, you can wait for a firmware update item that may, or may not make it to the instrument... who knows that until the firmware arrives?

The original post has good suggestion/request, particularly, if you use semitone Transpose feature in the described situation... so what do you do in the meantime?

The OCTAVE button remains lit to indicate the instrument is not at normal Octave transposition, then using the semitone adjustment to adjust the key as you require... it’s easy enough.

You don’t want to count the number of presses necessary? Really? The more you use the Transpose, by semitone, feature the more by nature the distances become. It’s not rocket science. If it is problematic, other solutions exist.

Alternatively, you can do it by ear...
You can keep a set of Performances pre-made and named for each possible Key. These can be kept in a Live Set, in a Library, or on your iPhone/iPad for instant access. Or you can dream up your own solution... there are many within reach.

Posted : 15/09/2019 10:19 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'm not talking about clicking buttons in a vacuum. I'm talking about in a "live" real-time setting. The studio I can stand 100 button presses (hyperbole) if it gets the job done and I don't have to do this every song. But transposition is the sort of thing you have to set back and forth (yes, forth is easy - shift+two buttons). And can be more frequent so the button pressing adds up. And you may be called a tune and key without prior mapping out.

Anyhow - my response was more positive than anything. I was happy it's recognized that there is a problem enough to have a kludge suggestion. This isn't a dig - you know the workaround has warts - just stating the obvious. What I heard, to paraphrase, was "I know this sucks, but you can do this if you want ...". And I see this as a positive step in the evolution of this issue. Even if this is something that gets its own LED in the next generation (or any other solution).

Posted : 15/09/2019 11:59 pm
Bad Mister

I’d get my hearing checked, if that’s what you heard, haha!

Posted : 16/09/2019 12:25 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Then I guess I have to be more pessimistic next time.

Posted : 16/09/2019 1:41 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us