Notifications
Clear all

Trouble loading .X8U File for Bad Mister's Tutorials

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Wes
Topic starter

I followed the link to the .X8U file so I could load Bad Mister's Live Set for the MODX tutorials (the link was at the bottom of the "Super Knob Common" article.

I cn't figure out how to load these on to my new MODX. I was able to update to version 2.51 with no problem, with the same thumb drive. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Wes

Posted : 26/11/2020 3:40 am
Bad Mister

You have download the file to your computer.
Unzip it.
Copy the file “EXAMPLES.X8U” to your USB Stick
Insert USB stick in the “To Device” port
Press [UTILITY]
Tap “Contents” > “Load”
Set “Content Type” = User File
You should see a box that represents your USB stick, tap it to view the contents.
Find “Examples.X8U” and tap it...
You will receive the standard warning about the file you have selected will be loaded and replace the current USER Bank.
Make sure you have you current Use data saved in its own file... before loading the Examples.X8U.

Posted : 26/11/2020 9:38 am
 Wes
Topic starter

Thank you for answering so quickly. I've been getting a lot from the tutorials, if only I could get this file to load...When I down load the .X8U file to my Mac, I don't see any option to unzip it. If I double click the file I just get a message that there is no program to open the file.

When I put the thumb drive into the MODX slot and press 'Utility", I don't think I'm seeing what I shouyld see. As I scroll through the Content Type box (User file, Library file, Backup file, Song & Perf, Song, .mid file, .wav file ) there doesn't seem to be any content, until I get to "Pattern &Perf". Now, in the box just below these word is another box that says "[New Pattern]", then 5 more boxes that say "001: Copy", "004: My Ballad", "003: NY Jam Sesh", "005: Out West", and "02: Space Is Fine". These same things are listed as well when I change "Content Type" from Pattern & Perf to Pattern".

Is this all correct? I thought I was looking for a Live Set to load. Thanks.

Posted : 26/11/2020 4:08 pm
 Wes
Topic starter

More info: My previous posts were concerning the file SuperKnobExamples.X8U. I just found another file in the "Performance Basics 2 and the Live Set" article named "LIVE SET Example.X8U". I put that file on the same thumb drive (leaving the SuperKnobExamples file on the thumb as well) and plugged it into the MODX. No change, as if I had not added another file to the thumb drive at all.

Posted : 26/11/2020 4:30 pm

The .X8U file in question is not zipped. You should be able to download it directly and copy it to the USB drive. This is NOT a Live Set, it is a User File!

In Content Type, stay with "User File", it does not make any sense to try the other entries. After choosing the "User File" entry, did you carry out this step from BM's list:

"You should see a box that represents your USB stick, tap it to view the contents."

You will not see the .X8U file if you don't tap the box representing the USB drive!

Posted : 26/11/2020 5:33 pm
 Wes
Topic starter

Michael,

That solved the problem. Thanks to both you and Bad Mister for the help. This forum is a great resource.

Posted : 26/11/2020 8:05 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us