Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Two questions about MODX and midi integration with Moxf.

11 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Asa
 Asa
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello, I have recently purchased a Modx, and I have two doubts:

1º) I have a Moxf, and I would like to control 9-16 in Modx with only one sending channel from Moxf. Is there a way to configurate midi receive channel individually? Is there another way to do what I want to do?

2º) Is there a way to configurate the Moxf mod wheel as ribbon controller so that I have the Mod Wheel in the Modx as Mod Wheel and the Moxf as ribbon controller? I have tried it, but when I set the mod wheel as ribbon controller in one keyboard, in the other one also changes to that configuration.

Thanks in advance.

Posted : 22/09/2019 12:04 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Is there a way to configurate midi receive channel individually?

No, common complaint.

You can configure your MODX in single MIDI channel mode. This will have limitations. If that doesn't work for you, you can leave MODX in multi-channel mode and then place some form of computer between. An iPad running Camelot Pro can rechannel your MOXF MIDI output to any target channels. Or you can use a PC with a DAW and plug-ins or native features depending on the DAW. Or hardware that can rechannel (MIDI solutions or others). Or software such as CTRLR or Bome or... With a computer there are lots of options.

Is there a way to configurate the Moxf mod wheel as ribbon controller

No. According to the MOXF data list - only the following controllers have assignable CC values - along with the default CC value

BREATH CONTROLLER: 2
FOOT CONTROLLER 2: 4
FOOT CONTROLLER 1: 11
ASSIGN 1: 16
ASSIGN 2: 17
RIBBON CONTROLLER: 22
ASSIGNABLE FUNCTION 1: 86
ASSIGNABLE FUNCTION 2: 87
FOOT SWITCH: 88

Mod wheel is not assignable (CC) on MOXF, so it is fixed as CC 1 (modulation). What you need to do is assign any of the above MOXF controllers to CC 16 (DECIMAL 16 - note that MODX and MOXF's ribbon controllers are different defaults. This doesn't matter much - but it does look like Montage/MODX "goofed" and copied the HEX value 0x16 - which is really decimal 22 - from the Motif XF/MOXF series to the DECIMAL value 16. Could be coincidence and it was meant to be this way - but strange that the old HEX value is the new decimal value - unless just a nerdy joke by the folks in Japan. At any rate - keep in mind your MOXF doesn't have a BC (breath) or RB (ribbon) - so choose either the foot controllers or maybe assignable function knobs to act as ribbon and set one of those CC values to decimal 16 on MOXF. You're just not going to get MOXF's mod wheel to send MIDI messages other than CC1 (modulation) without having something between (a computer or other dedicated hardware) to translate MOXF's CC1 messages to CC16 (decimal).

Whatever you're doing now is looking at the MOXF settings incorrectly. Probably editing the controller matrix which isn't the same as changing the CC value for controllers. So don't use that same menu and process when you change the default CC for one of the above controllers in MOXF.

Posted : 22/09/2019 5:49 am
Bad Mister

1º) I have a Moxf, and I would like to control 9-16 in Modx with only one sending channel from Moxf. Is there a way to configurate midi receive channel individually?

No. The MOXF typically transmits on one channel at a time. You could use the Master mode to play four Zones.

Is there another way to do what I want to do?

Yes.
One of the main differences between the MOXF and the MODX, is how they transmit and receive via MIDI.

In order to play multiple sounds simultaneously on the MODX you transmit on multiple Channels.
To play multiple sounds on the MOXF, which only transmits on one Channel at a time, you stack multiple Parts to Receive on the same MIDI Channel using the Sequencer Mode.

At first it appears that results are the same, but what you can do is quite a bit different. If you wish to play multiple Parts on the MOXF, you must use the Song/Pattern Mixing Mode to set the Receive Channel of each Part to Receive data via a single Track. Then you must select that Track button. Each MIDI Track transmits on just one Channel. Set the Part to that Channel and it will respond to commands routed to that Track. In Song/Pattern Mixing Mode you can only select one Track, and therefore, you can only transmit on that one MIDI Channel.

If you wish to play multiple Parts on the MODX, where you are always in Performance Mode, you can transmit simultaneously on multiple MIDI channels. Each Part, 1-16, in the MODX has its own corresponding Channel, 1-16. The Keyboard can transmit on as many as 8 MIDI channels simultaneously. When you are in “MIDI I/O Mode” = Multi (default) and you link 8 Parts via the KBD CTRL Function, you are actually transmitting data on 8 channels. Now this is where it gets complex, the MODX does not really address itself with MIDI commands, those MIDI commands are generated for documentation purposes Out via MIDI. The keys and controllers of the MODX address the MODX tone engine directly. Changing the control number it sends Out via MIDI does not change the function of what the controller is doing. It just changes the number that represents that change.

Because you are transmitting data on each active MIDI Out channel... the MIDI data in each stream can be unique. This allows you to replace the data going Out be it Note and/or Controller data designed to function beyond what you can do by yourself. You have 8 Arpeggiators each capable of generating data independently in response to your data input (key presses). It is here that the big difference has meaning... each of those eight Arpeggiators can be generating different Note-On and different controller messages to the synth engine. There are multiple Motion Sequences (8+1) that can be assigned to move parameters with separate streams of data. Add to this the interaction between linked Parts within the Motion Control Synthesis Engine

Since the 1,280 Normal and 73 Drum Kits Voices found in the MOXF are found as Single Part Performances in your MODX...
and since you are interested in placing 8 instrument sounds to Parts 9-16, why not place those very sounds in the MOXF, as Parts 9-16 of a MIXING, then you can transmit to all of them in a simple layer by transmitting from either keyboard. If you place them in the MOXF and set them to channel x, you can setup a single MODX Part/Zone slot to transmit on channel x to trigger them all. If you make that Zone slot a KBD CTRL slot, you can simultaneously be triggering 8 Parts internally at the same time you are playing all 8 layered MOXF Parts.

Or if you setup the MODX Part/Zone slot tasked with controlling your layer, as a non-KBD CTRL slot, then only when you *select* that Part directly will the channel x layer sound.

Because any and all sounds you can make with the MOXF can be made, loaded or already exist in the MODX... You can accomplish your goal by knowing how each Synthesizer works and proceeding accordingly. They do not work the same, learn to take advantage of what each does well, and maximize your usage.

Summary: the MODX can be a keyboard controller that can transmit on eight MIDI Channels simultaneously. Be those internal Zones or external Zones.
The MOXF In Mixing Mode can be set to so each Part can Receive on any MIDI channel, as you desire.

If you wish to stack multiple sounds on the same channel, do so on the MOXF, It works like that.
Then you can trigger them all by simply transmitting on that channel from your MODX keyboard which can transmit on multiple channels, simultaneously. You could setup a MODX Performance with an 8-Part KBD CTRL Zone Setup, where the first 7 Parts are Internal and Part 8 controls your layered MOXF sound on what ever channel you choose (the MOXF layer is just a single channel, just set Zone 8 to transmit on that channel.

As you work, you’ll begin to appreciate the kind of individual control you have when addressing 8 Parts layered in the MODF versus the same 8 Parts layered in the MOXF. Try smoothly changing the volume balance between the 8 layered Parts

Smoothly change the volumes of the eight Parts from (each number represents the current volume Parts 1-8:
110-100-101-075-120-090-100-083
to
122-112-072-090-099-102-100-074

If your Parts are layered on a single MIDI Channel... I’lll just say ‘good luck’. They are typically locked to one fixed Volume. If you use cc7 they all jump to one value together, if you try to change eight Parts with cc7, If you try to change Part 1 from 110 to 122... every one of the eight Parts jump to the same value immediately.

If you use cc11 they remain in proportion to each other but, unfortunately, all move in the same direction together. So the loudest Part (Part 5 at 120) will stay the loudest but unfortunately they all go in the same direction.

If your Parts are on individual Channels, as in the MODX, you can, with a single gesture, (moving the Super Knob/FC) adjust smoothly the volume changes outlined. The possibilities have expanded.

You may say but I always fade them up or down together (yes, that’s probably true, you’ve only been able to that. Once released from that limitation you start to see it for what it was, ‘a limitation’. You did it because that’s how it worked... it what you could do.

That’s just one example... how about dynamically changing the Pan position of some of the Parts, how about opening the filters on 3 of them, closing the filters on 4 of them and doing nothing to the filter of the last one? How about adding Portamento to just two of them? Create EQ changes on just the pad Parts, brighten them just so, at the same time not changing the others?

The simple stacking of sounds on a single channel is clever but makes controlling them individually, beyond having them all doing the same thing, at the same time, is clumsy, if not completely impossible!
By transmitting to the each of the sounds on their own channels (MODX) opens a method to address each with a single controller gesture but we can scale how each responds to that single controller’s movement... to a dizzying degree.

However, if all you want/need is a simple layered stack, do so in the MOXF. It is built so that this is possible
If you want Layered sounds (the same type of ‘simple layer’) in the MODX, then the eight Parts must be setup in the KBD CTRL Part slots of the MODX, which are always Parts 1-8. They can be linked and treated via MIDI as a single channeled entity.

MODX’s KBD CTRL Parts (all 8 together) can be set on any single MIDI Channel you desire, 1-16. You do so by changing the “MIDI I/O Mode” setting to “Single” or “Hybrid”. The MODX will play/respond just fine from the external keyboard on the selected single channel.

If you wish to address the other (non-linked) Parts, they can each be able to receive/transmit on their designated channel (which corresponds to the Part number). You accomplish this by setting the MODX’s “MIDI I/O Mode” = Hybrid and selecting a MIDI Channel, 1-16, for the KBD CTRL linked Parts.

Hope that helps. If you need further help, post specifics about what sounds you are working worth. The theory is nice, but practical application is the best teacher.

2º) Is there a way to configurate the Moxf mod wheel as ribbon controller so that I have the Mod Wheel in the Modx as Mod Wheel and the Moxf as ribbon controller? I have tried it, but when I set the mod wheel as ribbon controller in one keyboard, in the other one also changes to that configuration.

No, that is not how it works. The Mod Wheel is Control Change #001. It does not have a particular function built in. It is a controller that can be assigned on a program by program basis, ideally to apply change from minimum to maximum.

Most often it is assigned to do Pitch Modulation Depth; what we musician’s commonly call, vibrato. But if it is doing that it is because it has been programmed to do so on the particular sound you are playing. MW sending cc001 is a constant. It cannot help but send cc001 no matter what. It cannot send any other Control Change number except 001. That what it does, by definition. CC Number 1 = Modulation Wheel.

If you would like another controller to ‘become’ the MW, in other words do exactly what the MW is assigned to do... you would set the Control Number for that Assignable Controller to cc #1.

Neither the MODX nor the MOXF have a physical Ribbon Controller. By setting the Ribbon, which appears as an Assignable device, to Control Number 1, the MW will additionally control whatever was assigned to respond to the Ribbon.

Often in sounds programmed in the top-of-the-Line model (Motif XF/MOXF or MONTAGE/MODX) you will see parameters assigned to the Ribbon Controller—that’s because the Motif XF and MONTAGE feature the physical Ribbon Controller. (Aftertouch, Breath Control are similar controllers nor found in MOXF, MODX).

In the MODX, Select the Performance. From HOME
Press [EDIT]
Touch “Control” > “Control Number”
Set the Ribbon’s Control Number = 1
Now when you move your MW it will be changing all parameters that have the “Source” set to “Mod Wheel” or to “Ribbon”

On this Performance COMMON screen your Assignable Controller Numbers can be applied to the listed Controls (except those in the black background which are global).
When the physical device does not appear on the product you can still use the number assignment to reach the parameters

Within the individual Part you can look at what each controller is set to do.
Select Part 1 and navigate to the “Mod/Control” > “Control Assign” screen
Set the “Display Filter” to view what is assigned to the “Mod Wheel” then to the “Ribbon”
Adjust as necessary.

If you find you don’t want to replace what the MW was assigned to do, then pick a different physical controller to reassign to do what the MW is doing.

Conversely, you can reprogram the Part’s Ribbon assignments to a physical controller you do have. You do so on the Part’s Control Assign screen. Set the “Display Filter” to Ribbon and change the “Source” box for each DESTINATION shown. The “Source” is the physical Controller.

Extra Credit:
The MW is a minimum-to-maximum Controller... sends values from 0 (default) through 127
The Ribbon Control is a minimum-center-maximum Controller... sends -64 through 0 (default) through +63
You may want to adjust your Curve and Ratio settings when switching types of Controllers.

Posted : 22/09/2019 11:06 am
Asa
 Asa
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks!

Midi is a new world for me (it is the first time I have two instruments connected through Midi). I have not understand it at all, but now I have a starting point, so thanks again!

Posted : 23/09/2019 12:03 am
Bad Mister

If you are just getting started with MIDI, then take your time. Have a thought, based on something you’d like to accomplish. Try to accomplish it on the instrument itself.

Although it can be just as much fun to just see what happens!

Posted : 23/09/2019 1:52 am
Asa
 Asa
Eminent Member
Topic starter

If you are just getting started with MIDI, then take your time. Have a thought, based on something you’d like to accomplish. Try to accomplish it on the instrument itself.

Although it can be just as much fun to just see what happens!

Well, after reading your first and second message several times and trying it on the two keyboards, I achieved in part what I wanted. As regards to the doubt about mod wheel... that it is solved, I now understand how it works (I was looking at it just in the wrong way).

Regarding to the 9-16 parts... I think that I have understood it (in fact the idea of the moxf for sounds is is a good one and I have achieved to make it work). Just to be sure:

Lets suposse I have this setup in the Modx.

Part 9: FM-X sound
Part 10: FM-X sound
Part 11: FM-X sound
Part 12: FM-X sound
Part 13: FM-X sound
Part 14: FM-X sound
Part 15: FM-X sound
Part 16: FM-X sound

If I make that setup, it will not be possible to play all the parts at the same time. Or I have missed something?

Thanks again!

Posted : 23/09/2019 1:00 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

PARTs 9-16 all have different MIDI channels and cannot have keyboard control turned on. The only way to play PARTs 9-16 all at the same time is to send messages to each channel "at once". There's not a way to assign PARTs 9-16 to a single MIDI channel. So before and after hybrid mode (which doesn't exist until late October) you can only address PARTs 9-16 by sending 8 sets of MIDI messages at once. You cannot use the local piano keys to play these PARTs at the same time ever without using some external device which will echo the MIDI data back into MODX and re-channel the messages to target PARTs 9-16 with 8 individual sets of MIDI messages (one for each channel).

If you want to set 8 PARTs together to be played at once by the piano keys, they have to exist in PARTs 1-8. If you want up to 8 PARTs together to respond to the same MIDI channel - you need to set the MIDI mode to single mode and place those PARTs in slots 1-8. In the future (late October for MODX), assuming you can overlap MIDI channels, you should be able to group up to 9 PARTs together to respond to the same MIDI channel using hybrid mode by setting PARTs 1-8, all with keyboard control ON, to the same MIDI I/O channel matching one of the PARTs 9-16 (MIDI I/O channel is 9 or 10 or ... 16) so that PART in slot 9-16 matching the MIDI I/O channel is the "plus one" (8+1 = 9).

Posted : 23/09/2019 1:50 pm
Bad Mister

Lets suposse I have this setup in the Modx.

Part 9: FM-X sound
Part 10: FM-X sound
Part 11: FM-X sound
Part 12: FM-X sound
Part 13: FM-X sound
Part 14: FM-X sound
Part 15: FM-X sound
Part 16: FM-X sound

If I make that setup, it will not be possible to play all the parts at the same time. Or I have missed something?

That’s a true statement, but does not tell us whether you are missing something or not. It is not the whole story. If you wanted to link 8 Parts to play them simultaneously, you would place them in Parts 1-8. This would be the same as creating a TX816 where all eight 6Op engines where played simultaneously... except each slot contains an 8Op FM engine, each with a dual Insertion Effect, and its own Filter, EQ, etc., etc.,

If you were using an external MIDI Controller capable of 8 Zones (Motif XF) You could play the 8 Single Parts 9-16
If your external MIDI controller is capable of 4 Zones like the MOXF, you could simultaneously play 4 of the Single Parts located in 9-16 area. Say you programmed your MOXF’s four Zones to send on Ch9, 10, 11 and 12... you could play four of those FM-X sounds simultaneously, and each would still have the dual Insert Effects. The remain four Parts would be individually selectable.

Point is linked Parts (KBD CTRL icon is green) exist in locations from 1 thru 8. That is where you must build any Multi Part program.
If your Multi Part Performance uses 2 Parts (1 &2), then Parts 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 can each contain a Single Part program - each individually selectable. Each the equivalent of a Motif XF. They could represent all the sounds you’d need to do an entire gig!

Learn to appreciate just how powerful each Part is!
For more than 15 years the single Motif XF sounds have ruled on stages and recordings around the globe, every one of those 16 Part slots can contain a newer improved version of a Motif XF level sound... that ain’t bad!

Posted : 23/09/2019 1:53 pm
Asa
 Asa
Eminent Member
Topic starter

That’s a true statement, but does not tell us whether you are missing something or not. It is not the whole story. If you wanted to link 8 Parts to play them simultaneously, you would place them in Parts 1-8. This would be the same as creating a TX816 where all eight 6Op engines where played simultaneously... except each slot contains an 8Op FM engine, each with a dual Insertion Effect, and its own Filter, EQ, etc., etc.,

1-8 parts would be occupied with my sampled guitar. So I would need to place the Fm-X parts in other parts.

If you were using an external MIDI Controller capable of 8 Zones (Motif XF) You could play the 8 Single Parts 9-16
If your external MIDI controller is capable of 4 Zones like the MOXF, you could simultaneously play 4 of the Single Parts located in 9-16 area. Say you programmed your MOXF’s four Zones to send on Ch9, 10, 11 and 12... you could play four of those FM-X sounds simultaneously, and each would still have the dual Insert Effects. The remain four Parts would be individually selectable.

I tried this the other day but I gave up. Reading the manual in theory it was possible, but it didn't work so I thought it may be for arppegios only.

I have tried it again... and I achieved it. The problem was that I had the "zone switch" in off, so it was in individual mode.

So problem solved, with 8 + 4 I have enough (more than enough!) for what I want to do.

Learn to appreciate just how powerful each Part is!
For more than 15 years the single Motif XF sounds have ruled on stages and recordings around the globe, every one of those 16 Part slots can contain a newer improved version of a Motif XF level sound... that ain’t bad!

Yes, it is an incredible maschine, and in combination with the Moxf, it seems almost unbeatable!

Thanks for all!

Posted : 23/09/2019 4:56 pm
Bad Mister

Excellent.

Check this out... added to the MOXF Master Mode:
When you setup the four Zones to transmit Out to the MODX

On the front panel of the MOXF, while in MASTER Mode, press the [PERFORMANCE CONTROL] button
When this is selected... Track buttons [1]-[4] turn On and Off Internal Zones 1-4
Track buttons [9]-[12] turn On and Off External Zones 1-4

This way you have the ability activate and deactivate sounds on the fly...

Hope that helps

Posted : 23/09/2019 5:56 pm
Asa
 Asa
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Excellent.

Check this out... added to the MOXF Master Mode:
When you setup the four Zones to transmit Out to the MODX

On the front panel of the MOXF, while in MASTER Mode, press the [PERFORMANCE CONTROL] button
When this is selected... Track buttons [1]-[4] turn On and Off Internal Zones 1-4
Track buttons [9]-[12] turn On and Off External Zones 1-4

This way you have the ability activate and deactivate sounds on the fly...

Hope that helps

Thanks!

I was doing it in a more precarious way, this is a better way, there is no doubt. 😛

Important point, just in case somebody is in my situation: once you are in Master Mode, you have to press F2 (Memory) and select SONG. If you have not SONG selected in that menu (it is not the same as pressing SONG button), it will not work.

Posted : 24/09/2019 12:19 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us