Notifications
Clear all

Two strange behavior happened

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi to all,
I'm Max from Italy, I'm very happy of my MODX8, bought one month ago, but two strange things happened:
1_ When modifying a performance, e.g. CFX Pop rock piano, by adding parts and create scenes in order to mute piano or other sounds, when I select the piano's scene all the piano parts do not play at the same time, eg. playing the middle of the keyboard just after selected the scene need more time to respond

2_ I've imported as library the motif xf performances, downloaded on the site, and after played/auditioned some of them the MODX suddendly freeze and I was no more able to select other sound/functions; after switch off and on again everything worked well.

Could you help me understanding what's happened?

Thank you
BR
Massimo

Posted : 31/10/2018 9:25 am
Bad Mister

Hi Max!
Welcome to YamahaSynth!

1_ When modifying a performance, e.g. CFX Pop rock piano, by adding parts and create scenes in order to mute piano or other sounds, when I select the piano's scene all the piano parts do not play at the same time, eg. playing the middle of the keyboard just after selected the scene need more time to respond

It would be impossible to say without a lot more of the details. We would need to look at your at the programming that you have done.

If the Factory Performances are behaving normally, it is probably not an issue with your instrument, but some *feature* you are not using quite properly. We would be very happy to help you understand what is happening. That is the main purpose of this website actually!

Have you downloaded and used the “MODX CONNECT” program?
Using this utility program you can “capture” (from MODX —> Computer) your one Performance.... as a .X8B File.
You can then compress it (zip) and then post it here on YamahaSynth.
Doing so will allow us to take a look at what you’ve done...

Or if you don’t want to do that, please just let us know, and we’ll ask you specifics about your programming... for example: we need to know how many Parts, what Performances you “merged” into you current program, and just what you activated in your SCENEs events. We’d also need to know any other connected devices or situations that could impact the results (Arps, etc.)
Possible causes could be:
Polyphony overload
Missing Scene event
Unexpected Scene event
We’ll need to eliminate each by each...

2_ I've imported as library the motif xf performances, downloaded on the site, and after played/auditioned some of them the MODX suddendly freeze and I was no more able to select other sound/functions; after switch off and on again everything worked well.

Again, the specifics would be helpful... after which specific Performance did it freeze? What else is connected to the MODX at the time...? It is not normal for the instrument to freeze. Although any electronic device with a CPU can at times freeze, there is usually a cause. If it happens again, please document what you are doing at the time (as specifically as you can). The MODX has a power saver mode that will shut the instrument Off. You can set this in Utility mode (it can even be turned off).

If you are connected via MIDI or USB-MIDI to another device, transmitting on multiple channels at once can cause issues, if not setup with this in mind. (With great power comes great responsibility!)

Example, you recall “Seattle Sections” — this is a seven Part string orchestra Performance... Out via MIDI you could be generating seven streams of MIDI data. If you have yourself connected so that you are merging and echoing back 7 channels of data on just one channel, for example, very odd things can happen. Nothing too dangerous to the gear but musically it’s a mashup. With proper routing this is a non-issue. But is why we must eliminate this as the possibility.

Let us know.

Just FYI: In the coming weeks, look for MODX specific articles on getting the most out of the Motif XF Performance Data... the series will use this data as a way to learn the wonders of the MODX sound engine. In the series we’ll take a close at things like Scene creation and management, ways to transition sounds within a Performance, understanding the Filters, Motion Sequences, assigning Arps to Parts, etc., etc.
Each will come with a MODX CONNECT bulk file of a single Performance, which will be the working example of the function we’re studying/focusing on. The .X8B File will allow you to download the specific example... bulk it to the working edit buffer of your instrument... where you can Play it, Study it, Edit it, then either Store it or Discard it.... it will not overwrite any of your data (unless you want to overwrite it).

Posted : 31/10/2018 10:29 am
Topic starter

Hi Phil!

Thank you for your answer and for the welcome, I've loved the MODX at the first sight (and test) at the store, so I had to bring "her" home, for the happiness of my wife, singer of the two bands on where me ( and my son) are playing (nothing really serious, but healthy blues only, against the daily stress 😀 )

I'm a very beginner with MODX and in general, in "programming Yamaha kbds", also if I owned other Yamaha's gears in the past, e.g. I had difficulties to assign the super knob as explained at pag.33 of the (italian) manual...but tomorrow I'll follow your suggestion and I'll try reproduce / collect data; the only thing that I can said for now is that there are no external midi/gears/notebook/Ipad/usb keys connected to MODX permanently or when the "strange behavior" happened.

I can't wait for the new articles mentioned! Thank you in advance!

out of topic: With great power comes great responsibility! I'm a Spiderman megafan!! I own the comics from n.1 ( in italian language, 1970).

BR
Max

Posted : 31/10/2018 4:53 pm
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister,

1_on attachment you can find the .X8B file, the issue happened during the merging only, before saving, testing the scene 1 to 2 and vice versa, so I've heard a retard between piano's parts activation. After saved the user file everything worked well.

2_No more able to reproduce the freezing of motif xf performance's library, happened while changing performances one by one and playing, if it happens again I'll do a picture of the screen or a short movie with the phone.

Thank you for your support.

Best Regards
Max

Attached files

For Phil.X8B.zip (6 KB) 

Posted : 01/11/2018 3:02 pm
Bad Mister

You might want to go through the PART Edit "Mod/Control" > "Receive SW" (Receive Switches)...

In general, it is a good idea to check the Receive Switch situation on the PARTs - so that after 'merging' Performance Parts, the controller still makes sense. Often after the merge, the target that is being controlled may be different. You can deactivate any physical Controller for any PART as you may require - this avoids any conflicts or surprises.

For example, the MW is actively changing the Phaser Speed for PART 5 (E.Piano) and although not happening together, the MW is changing the Var Send (Chorus) for the CFX Pop/Rock... if you happen to leave it advanced for the E.Piano you wind up with Chorus when you switch back to the Acoustic. You can avoid this by deactivating the Receive Switches for MW for the four Acoustic Piano Parts (1-4)

Nice work.

Posted : 01/11/2018 7:50 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us