Notifications
Clear all

Understanding Libraries

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 John
Topic starter

I'm trying to search for information about MODX/Montage Libraries as this is a new concept to me coming from the MOFX. I can't find anything either in the forums or on the yamahasynth site, can someone point me in the right direction please?

Posted : 07/10/2018 10:41 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Google search for "site:yamahasynth.com montage libraries" returns:

1st Search Hit: Mastering MONTAGE: Montage USER and LIBRARY Files
https://www.yamahasynth.com/yamaha-synth-rss/user-and-library

There are several forum topics covering the topic and clarifications in the search returns as well. The linked tutorial/article is the best resource to start with.

Posted : 07/10/2018 11:07 am
 John
Topic starter

Thanks for that, I was searching via the Yamaha Synth website search facility and couldn’t find anything 🙂

I’ve had a frustrating first few days with my MODX (due to my own fault!) as I wasn’t impressed with the sounds coming out of it.. nothing sounded as good as my MOXF and I couldn’t understand what was wrong. It was only when I messed with the mixing of a performance and realised that if I set to pan full left or full right it still stayed centre that I worked out that it was mono sound coming out of it. I hadn’t plugged the leads in fully into the back, the left one was full in and the right one was only half plugged in - DOH !!!

In my defence I’ve had a bad cold over the last few days so not feeling very clever at the moment 😉

Posted : 07/10/2018 11:45 am
Bad Mister

Coming from the MOXF, you can use your accumulated knowledge of the MOXF to help you learn the MODX (especially now that you have it plugged in properly, you’ve got the hard part done!)

All of the MOXF VOICES are already included in you MODX as Single Part programs - you’ll find these when searching by pressing [CATEGORY] > then setting the “Attribute” = Single (green)

Since there is only one MODX mode, the “Performance” mode, you can get an understanding of the MODX as follows:
_ the old MOXF Voice is now a Single Part Performance
_ the old MOXF Performance is now a Multi Part Performance with a maximum of 8 Parts now instead of a max of 4
_ the old MOXF Song/Pattern Mixing is now a Multi Part Mixing Performance with a maximum of 16 Parts.

Take your time, while much is similar, much is very different. There is no traditional Sequencer, like in the MOXF. This is different!

The Song Play/Rec function on MODX is like the Direct Performance Record feature of the MODX. It is designed to capture you interacting with a Multi Part Performances... like when you are controlling multiple Parts, some directly, others under control of Arpeggios!

You can literally drag and drop the MODX SONG directly from the MODX to your favorite DAW where you can add other tracks, edit, etc., etc. This transfer is done via the (free) MODX CONNECT computer utility. It has a SONG IMPORT feature that lets you drag and drop a Song from the MODX Song Folder to your DAW right through the USB cable.

UTILITY > “Contents” > “Data Utility” > “Song” Folder - it will contain as many as 128 .mid Files that you create either on the MODX Play/Rec or you create with your DAW and then Load to MODX as .mid.

Posted : 07/10/2018 12:35 pm
 John
Topic starter

Excellent information as always BM, many thanks for your reply 🙂

Now that I’ve actually got stereo sound coming out of my MODX I can fully appreciate why the people at Yamaha are raving about this synth 🙂 I can see many hours of learning and fun ahead of me, which is perfect for the upcoming long dark winter evenings!

Posted : 07/10/2018 12:51 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us