Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Using cubase chord mode, does not play chords on the modx

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Can't really figure this out; so I thought you may have an idea of what is going on here.
I have my Modx connected via USB, it is not my main interface. I created a track in Cubase, both a midi and audio so I can record the MODX.

All is good; I can play the keyboard once I turn off local control, I can record both midi and audio; although when I try to use the chord pads, the output is a single note, not a chord. Tried different patch, same result.

I set the MODX track input to MODX1, and output to MODX1; channel is set to ALL; so I think I have covered all the basics here. Other external synths I am using, works fine; when I press a pad, I get the chord; but not with the modx. And if I play a chord manually, it works fine, so the problem is just in cubase chord pad. Although why does it works with other synths connected via USB but not with the MODX?

Posted : 28/12/2020 7:42 am
Antony
Estimable Member

I saw a YouTube video by Dom Siglas where he explains how to make cubase play chords on the MODX.

I am just learning, so it might not be exactly what you are asking, but might be worth a look.

Posted : 29/12/2020 11:52 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

When I connect the chord pad feature to a MIDI monitor to see the MIDI output of chord pad, I see it sends different notes out different channels when the chord pad instrument track output is set to "all". This matches documentation:

Source: https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artist/v9/en/cubase_nuendo/topics/chord_pads/chord_pads_recording_on_midi_or_instrument_tracks_t.html

The triggered chords are recorded on the track. The note events are automatically assigned to different MIDI channels according to their pitches. Note events that correspond to the soprano voice are assigned to MIDI channel 1, alto is assigned to MIDI channel 2, and so on.

It seems one can force all notes to a single channel if you set the chord pad's instrument track MIDI output to a specific MIDI channel.

Or you can use the default MIDI channel splitting quoted above and ensure your Performance loaded has at least 5 Parts and all single-instrument ones that can play the result.

You may also have a plugin that merges multiple MIDI channels into one. This could be connected to the output of the chord pad and then cascaded to MODX on this plugin's output.

The Cubase documentation recommends a more manual post-processing approach.

Posted : 29/12/2020 3:42 pm
Topic starter

I saw a YouTube video by Dom Siglas where he explains how to make cubase play chords on the MODX.

I am just learning, so it might not be exactly what you are asking, but might be worth a look.

Thanks, checked out his videos but I found no video specifically for the MODX and the chords; do you recall what was its name?

Posted : 29/12/2020 8:56 pm
Topic starter

When I connect the chord pad feature to a MIDI monitor to see the MIDI output of chord pad, I see it sends different notes out different channels when the chord pad instrument track output is set to "all". This matches documentation:

Source: https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artist/v9/en/cubase_nuendo/topics/chord_pads/chord_pads_recording_on_midi_or_instrument_tracks_t.html

The triggered chords are recorded on the track. The note events are automatically assigned to different MIDI channels according to their pitches. Note events that correspond to the soprano voice are assigned to MIDI channel 1, alto is assigned to MIDI channel 2, and so on.

It seems one can force all notes to a single channel if you set the chord pad's instrument track MIDI output to a specific MIDI channel.

Or you can use the default MIDI channel splitting quoted above and ensure your Performance loaded has at least 5 Parts and all single-instrument ones that can play the result.

You may also have a plugin that merges multiple MIDI channels into one. This could be connected to the output of the chord pad and then cascaded to MODX on this plugin's output.

The Cubase documentation recommends a more manual post-processing approach.

I see, so the chord pad works like the MODX, sending out one part per channel, if you use the standard settings.

At least I know what to look for now; thanks Jason!

Posted : 29/12/2020 8:58 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I find MIDI Monitors, looking at the actual MIDI messages (translated - not raw hex) valuable when trying to determine what's going on. I could have started by reading the docs - but the MIDI bus told me quickly what was going on.

It also gives some practice in routing MIDI from place to place within the DAW.

Posted : 29/12/2020 10:47 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us