Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Using MODX7 sound comparison and using it as a slave

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I tried out a MODX7 lately and wasn't thrilled with the keyboard feel...the action being too soft and the keys being different. I connected it via midi to my MOX8 and notices that it would only track the original sound (Piano) and not the layered sound. Is there a work around for that?

Also when I did a A-B test, the MOX8 piano sound was slightly warmer sounding better especially starting an octave after middle C - less shrill.

When I used the headphones on the same MODX piano sound, there was a background noise starting around that same octave above middle C.

Any suggestions re: the midi issue and other comments would be appreciated.

Posted : 05/02/2020 9:38 pm
Bad Mister

Hi Ronald,
Welcome to Yamaha Synth!

I tried out a MODX7 lately and wasn't thrilled with the keyboard feel...the action being too soft and the keys being different. I connected it via midi to my MOX8 and notices that it would only track the original sound (Piano) and not the layered sound. Is there a work around for that?

The workaround is learning how the MODX works. Unlike your MOX8, AWM2 normal programs (non-drum Kit), are not limited to just eight Elements, as you can link as many as eight 8-Element normal AWM2 programs under KBD CTRL... this requires you know how to setup the MIDI I/O Modes.

When the "MIDI I/O Mode" is “Multi” (the default), the MONTAGE/MODX is able to transmit (8) and receive (16) on multiple channels, simultaneously; Each of the KBD CTRL Parts transmits and receives on the correspondingly numbered Channel.
When set to “Single” it transmits and receives on a single, selectable channel. All KBD CTRL Parts will sound on the selected channel.
When set to “Hybrid” it will transmit and receive on a single selectable channel for all KBD CTRL linked Parts, and each non-linked Part will transmit and receive on its correspondingly numbered channel.

You can use the I/O Mode that best serves your particular system setup requirements.

Posted : 05/02/2020 11:09 pm
Topic starter

Thanks, I'll try that. The difference in the quality of sound still baffles me though.

Posted : 05/02/2020 11:43 pm
Bad Mister

Me too. You should look into that...likely a setup error.
You should find most (if not all) of the MOX Voices, as Single Part MODX Performances.

Posted : 05/02/2020 11:58 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us