Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Waveform still referenced to Library and not User area after library import

12 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

This is an updated post from the montage area where I inadvertently placed it. I have loaded a .X7L file of the Narf sound library which is the only file I received. I have tried to import a performance from this library to the user area but have discovered the samples still always point back to the library. This means I can't delete the library. I know there are similar issues with conversion of older MOXF files in this regard, but this seems like a fundamental problem with not being able to import performances from third party libraries which are already in a Montage file format.

Posted : 11/11/2018 6:00 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

This is something you're responsible for keeping track of. If the library was created from legacy PERFORMANCE content, then it seems the instrument will not to import waveforms unlike content from native libraries.

BM:

However, when loading legacy files set to convert “Performance”, the MONTAGE will install all 256 MOXF Performances directly to the Library, including the Arps and the Waveforms. Because the Performances have multiple Parts, the cataloging of the data is not the same as when you convert individual legacy “Voices”... the data is playable, but you will find that attempting to use “Library Import” will not repoint any of the data during the Import.

Source: https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/library-performance-to-user-library-import-not-sending-all-elements-only-the-first-element-totally-baffled

Although there may be other examples of this behavior outside of what was discussed in the other thread, my guess at the moment is that the Performance which is not copying the Waveform from the Library area to the User area originally came from installing Performances into the Library area sourced from legacy material which required a conversion process.

Posted : 11/11/2018 6:08 pm
Topic starter

Jason,

So actually I meant to put this question into the MODX thread as I inadvertently posted it in the Montage area. The library was a third party library from Narf sounds and was a .X7L file. So is there a known issue with conversion of Montage library files? Regardless, what is best way to save performance and not have it reference the library which I want to delete at some point?

Posted : 11/11/2018 6:35 pm
Bad Mister

Load data that you want to repoint directly to the MODX User Bank. This automatically points the User Waveform data to User Waveform Banks and allows the MODX to create the Waveform list without any duplications.

If you are provided a .X8U (.X7U) File Load that to User.

The library was a third party library from Narf sounds and was a .X7L file.

If you were not provided data in a User File format, you have limited access to their Waveform data (which, of course, is the prerogative of the provider). If all you received was a Library File, it is in a form (Read Only) that can only be loaded and played.

If you use “Library Import” the Data will play properly. It will access the Waveforms in their Flash installed Library (ROM) locations. You’re saying the Waveforms are not copied (at all) to the User Waveform Bank. This could be caused by how they created the data...

Posted : 11/11/2018 8:02 pm
Topic starter

Phil,

Only the .X7L file is provided by the author. This seems like a major pain if I can never import performances from libraries which contain waveforms...

Posted : 11/11/2018 8:14 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

File system of Montage and MODX are "the same" with respect to X7L so posting here (Montage category) is fine.

X8L is different only because Montage does not, at this time, recognize this format. But that's not what you're having issue with.

You can move your own posts if you edit your post and then manually change the category.

Posted : 11/11/2018 11:44 pm
Bad Mister

Phil,

Only the .X7L file is provided by the author. This seems like a major pain if I can never import performances from libraries which contain waveforms...

You can Import the Performances, you just cannot edit their Waveform data. If you wish to utilize their custom Waveform data you must load it to your Flash (as Library). You were not given access to the raw data that would allow you to alter it as you desire. This does not prevent you from Importing the Performances.

Posted : 12/11/2018 4:01 am
Topic starter

Phil,

The issue I'm having is that I want to import just one performance from the library into my user area and then be able to delete the library without losing the waveform data. I don't want to edit the waveform data .

Posted : 12/11/2018 4:26 am
Bad Mister

Sorry, I do not know this data.

Let’s go over the steps and then you tell us what is happening with the data.

Load the Library File as “Library File”
Recall the first sound in that Library... you do so by pressing [CATEGORY] > Set the Bank = the Narf Library
Touch the first item listed to recall it

Press [EDIT]
In the blue box in the lower left corner of the screen to view the pop-up menu
Select “Part 1”
Touch “Elem1” along the bottom of the screen.
Touch “Osc/Tune”
The top show the Wave Bank = the Narf Library Name (whatever they call it)

Now let’s use “Library Import” to copy the data to User
Press [UTILITY] > “Contents” > “Library Import” > you will see folders for your installed data. Open the one containing the Narf data.
You will see the names of the Performances of this Library... pick the one you wish to import to Use by placing a check mark next to it
Tap the box “Import to User Bank”

The instrument will Import that Performance and copy its data to your User Bank and should place the Waveforms in your User Bank.

We can verify this as follows:
Press [CATEGORY]
Set “Bank” = User
Find the item you just imported among your User data, recall the User version.
Press [EDIT]
In the blue box in the lower left corner of the screen to view the pop-up menu
Select “Part 1”
Touch “Elem1” along the bottom of the screen.
Touch “Osc/Tune”
The top shows the Wave Bank = User

You can see what Waveforms were imported to User by looking in your “Waveform” Folder:
[UTILITY] > “Contents” > “Data Utility” > “Waveform” > listed will be the Waveforms imported to your User Waveform Bank.

If not, let us know. It just may be how they generated the data ... let us know. Can you describe the data they provided?

Posted : 12/11/2018 3:33 pm
Topic starter

The steps I followed are as exactly as you outlined them. What I am seeing is that when I look at the element which contains the sample in edit mode, it is showing the library wave bank and not the user wave bank. This is also what the Melas tools tell me which is where this journey started. The attached picture is from the imported performance in question.
I hope that helps.

Attached files

Posted : 12/11/2018 5:27 pm

I didnt know this - this can explain a problem i had. If a file is from a legacy device (e.g Motif XF or MOXF) and has User waveforms, I should always load directly to User Memory - not to a Library Slot?

Posted : 12/11/2018 11:59 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

XF legacy Voices seem to work fine loading to either spot and waveforms seem to transfer fine. Performances you would need to load to the user area if you want the Waveform to end up there. At least, that's what the other thread suggests.

Posted : 13/11/2018 12:30 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us