Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

What is a good string sound for worship?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

im currently looking for a good string sound but the modx i use is at church and a friend of mines is coming on friday to play a song on the modx and he told me to find him a good string sound which has to be slow and im writing to ask you guys if you guys know a good string sound that is slow,warm, as he will also use a pad. I dont spend alot of time with the modx alone so im writing this if you guys can help me. Thank you in advance

Posted : 06/12/2021 4:48 pm
Reputable Member

Init Normal (AWM2) > Element1 > String Pad St
It's my little help

🙂

Posted : 06/12/2021 5:47 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

1) Press [CATEGORY SEARCH] button
2) Filter by "Preset" - optionally you can also then filter by "Single Part" if you need to conserve parts.
3) Choose "Strings" main category
4) Choose "Ensemble" as sub-category

There are approx 4 pages of 16 selections in this list (even when not filtering by single Part). From the name alone you can skip some because probably you don't want only basses or only cellos and not brass, etc.

I suggest this approach since it would probably take no more than 30 minutes to run through them all and develop your own favorite based off of preset Performances.

Posted : 06/12/2021 6:41 pm
Member Admin

Tell your friend to watch/listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USp-8KhM77E&list=PLxig8xNrZ-ixbSddjcwCMTQ3ZsBsiKjt-&index=3&ab_channel=synthartist69

Posted : 07/12/2021 1:38 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

The synthartist69 video linked are from the synth sub-category. That may be fine - but my interpretation of the question was that strings were to be "real" acoustic instrument sounding strings. Just an FYI.

Although synthartist69 has done lots of videos - I didn't see one for the ensemble strings.

I haven't checked - but I think what he's doing to create these is pressing the [AUDITION] button to have the instrument play the demo sequences.

Maybe someone can find one synthartist69 created with the string ensemble sounds.

Posted : 07/12/2021 3:22 am
Bad Mister

im currently looking for a good string sound but the modx i use is at church and a friend of mines is coming on friday to play a song on the modx and he told me to find him a good string sound which has to be slow and im writing to ask you guys if you guys know a good string sound that is slow,warm, as he will also use a pad. I dont spend alot of time with the modx alone so im writing this if you guys can help me. Thank you in advance

There really isn’t such a thing… rather than think of sounds as good (or bad) it helps to think of them as appropriate or inappropriate for what you are doing now. A honky-tonk detuned piano IS a good sound in certain appropriate situations. When going through sounds and you have a specific requirement, you can help yourself a lot by knowing how easy it is to make the adjustments that make it “just right”.

Quickly going through all of the strings sounds, looking for one that already fits the criteria (slow, warm, etc.) is one way to go… and if it works, that’s great. But perhaps a better way might be to find one that has basic ‘sound’ quality you are looking for…even if you are not a master programmer, you can make some basic changes using the “Quick Edit” functions.

For example, if you find a sound that is right in the warmth, fullness, and character but has a fast attack rather than a slow attack… don’t throw it out! Edit it. This approach will widen the number of candidates greatly!

Even with no deep programming knowledge, you can learn to adjust how the sound begins and disappears by adjusting the ATTACK and RELEASE parameters. You can find these on dedicated Knob parameters

Recall a String candidate… you can do so as follows:
Press [CATEGORY]
Select “Bank/Favorite” = All
Select “Attribute” = All
“Main” = Strings
“Sub” = the type of strings you want to try out.

When you find one that is close… press the HOME button
Tap “Motion Control” > “Quick Edit”
With the Part selected = “Common” you will be able to apply changes to the entire Perfirmance.

By adjusting the “Attack” knob icon, you can take a String sound that has a fast attack into one that comes in slow.
The ATTACK knob at 12 o’clock (+0) represents the current Attack Time (how fast it comes in).
Turning the knob clockwise (positive numbers) will slow the Attack… slowly increase the Knob while playing to hear how it slows down the speed at which it comes in.

Remember, the tempo of what is being played impacts tremendously what “SLOW” attack is… adjustments can make a sound that is “close to perfect” into being “perfect”.

When Category Searching - look also among the “Pad/Choir” Main heading.

It is best to learn to make these minor, quick adjustments, because if you just discard all the string sounds with fast attacks, you’ll be doing yourself a major disservice.

The fact is this is an adjustable/programmable synthesizer… both for those who are versed in synthesis, and those just skimming the surface.

Posted : 07/12/2021 12:36 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us