Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Yamaha Steinberg USB driver, Monterey, and M1 Macs -- anyone else getting latency drift?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 sean
Topic starter

Is anyone else having issues with latency stability and the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver (3.1.1) and M1 Macs? Does your MODX or Montage's audio (sent through USB) get out of sync with your DAW?

I have an M1 Mac Mini currently running Monterey (12.3.1), and I continue to have a latency slipping problem with my MODX7 and Ableton, which I described in another post. Basically, I hear a glitch in the audio playback, and then my MODX7 is out of sync with my software instruments. I've had this problem for about 2 years with earlier versions of the driver (and earlier OSes).

I believe I correctly followed the instructions for first installing the Steinberg driver.

Is there a place to submit tickets to Yamaha with error details?

Thanks all (and farewell to Bad Mister -- thanks for all your wisdom and help over the years!)

Posted : 29/04/2022 3:03 am
Member Admin

as soon as it drifts, try this, in Apple's Terminal "app":

sudo killall coreaudiod

coreaudiod will restart, almost immediately, but a lot of the timing issues and MIDI/USB issues it pent up will be refreshed, hopefully.

Posted : 29/04/2022 10:32 am
 sean
Topic starter

Thanks Andrew -- that works.

Do you have a M1 Mac. Is this a M1 thing or is it a Monterey OS/driver issue?

I'm wondering if we can help Yamaha/Steinberg get the driver more solid.

Sean

Posted : 29/04/2022 6:40 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The complaints I see about the Core Audio daemon would have me asking Apple when they're going to have a stable operating system component.

Complains around coreaudiod go back to Big Sur from a quick search. Maybe further. So not limited to M1 or Monterey.

BTW: I'm not sure if you have Zoom installed on your Mac. If you do, you should probably remove it. I see it being implicated in coreaudiod related errors. If there are other non-essential-for-music-creation programs installed then those would be good to remove too.

I'm sure if I spent more time researching I'd find a laundry list of things that can upset the Apple cart.

For the past year (at least) I've been using a Mac as my daily driver. I'm not out to get Apple.

Posted : 29/04/2022 8:42 pm
 sean
Topic starter

Thanks Jason. You're right -- there are other complaints about CoreAudio.

Are other people having issues with CoreAudio? What are your solutions?

Sean

Posted : 30/04/2022 1:17 am
Member Admin

Mac OS 10.13.6 has the least problems with it.

But restarting coreaudiod about every 50 minutes is the common fix, across almost all industries. So common that most creatives with this problem eventually write scripts to do it automatically.

coreaudiod is fighting for rights to the microphone(s), to do noise suppression, always. This eventually builds up errors and time delays that cause all sorts of glitching.

There are ways for software/hardware suppliers to work around this, by activating a mode of operation that nullifies the microphone usage when their app has focus. Very few do, sadly.

added later, a bit on how we got here:

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/modx-connect-not-finding-my-modx8-in-logic-pro-x#reply-112547

Posted : 30/04/2022 4:44 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us