a brand new Cubase Monateg problem

32 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi everyone, I thought I´d been thru all the headaches but here we go: a new Cubase Elemtens 10 - Montage issue:

On a midi track that has been split into 8 tracks by channels, all the tracks are now greyed out except midi track 8 with midi channel 8. All other tracks display "not connected" in the midi in and out fields. And it´s impossible to connect them to Monatge. After I choose "Montage" in the midi field, the field just goes blank altogether, all options disapear, and it stays greyed out and unusable.

So what do I have to do to connect those 7 tracks I need to work on to the Montage?

Attached files

Posted : 21/07/2019 10:39 am
Bad Mister

Hi welcome to YamahaSynth... this is where you can ask questions about your MONTAGE... but we’d be happy to help with questions concerning Cubase... but we can only go but so deep here.

We highly recommend that use your MySteinberg Account and register on the Steinberg Cubase Forum, as well. While we can certainly help you here with most basic setup things within Cubase, we have limits. Cubase is an incredibly deep product, and is many years more mature than your MONTAGE and has many, many features that you will want to learn to use.

On a midi track that has been split into 8 tracks by channels, all the tracks are now greyed out except midi track 8 with midi channel 8.

If by “has been split into 8 tracks by channels” you mean you used one Track to record the MONTAGE, and then you used the DISSOLVE PARTS to separate them by MIDI Channel... had you made your MIDI In and MIDI Out assignment on the very first Track (before executing the DISSOLVE PART by Channel), all the the tracks created by this operation would be automatically set to the MONTAGE (Port 1) and each would have automatically been set to a separate MIDI Channel.

Just so you know: Set the MIDI In and Out first, on the original track data (you had to have this set in order to Record the Track. Then execute DISSOLVE PART

Did you record the data to Cubase initially?
How is that original channel set for MIDI In and MIDI Out.

What you can do now...
Show us a screen shot of your first recorded Track.... the one at the very bottom. Please select the bottom Track — it’s labeled “MIDI 01” (Is not that your original Track?) it looks like it is continuous, it looks like it contains all Parts together, (not sure why you are calling it “midi track 8” — it is the ninth and final track in your screenshot... we need to see if it is assigned properly in the TRACK INSPECTOR.

I understand all the Dissolved Parts read “Nicht Verbunden” (Not Connected) for both In and Out. We need to see what that very bottom track says... thanks.

Please see the following article and the 3 Part MIDI RECORD tutorial videos:
https://yamahasynth.com/montage-category/cubase-setup-guide-workflow-midi-rec-on-daw

Posted : 21/07/2019 1:08 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister, yes, I recorded a multipart performance onto one track and dissolved by channels. The dissovling of parts must have worked, initially, because all of them have been bounced to audio without issues one by one. It´s been a while ago, and now I want to edit the drums, and all of the tracks are "disconnected". It must have happend because of transferring the file from one harddive to another.

Posted : 21/07/2019 6:53 pm
Bad Mister

Reassign them... then Save the Project.

Posted : 22/07/2019 2:59 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

how do I reassign them? doesn´t seem to work

Posted : 27/07/2019 9:56 am
Bad Mister

Connect your MONTAGE to your computer via USB
Be sure the USB icon is bright blue on the very top line of the MONTAGE screen
In Cubase go to STUDIO > STUDIO SETUP... > MIDI > MIDI PORT SETUP
Take a screenshot... thank you

Posted : 27/07/2019 1:47 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

here is a screenshot of the midi assigments, and also a screenshot of midi track 1, as you wanted. midi track 1, which was the combined track, is also not connected. when I try to choose "Montage 1" in the field that says "not connected" that field goes blank. Nothing can therefore be connected. so, I guess this means I can toss those 8 tracks, meaning the whole song, and start all over, is that correct?

Attached files

Posted : 28/07/2019 10:22 am
Bad Mister

No. That would be throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Sorry, that’s an old saying... means keep the tracks (they are perfectly good), throw away or in this case fix the setup (the setup is faulty). There is no reason to throw away the data... you simply need to tune in the radio to the right station.

For whatever reason your computer thinks you have two MONTAGES. And it is attempting to address MONTAGE number 2.

This would occur when you have two MONTAGE (each with 16 Parts) and you want to introduce a second set of 16 Parts... to differentiate between the first MONTAGE and the second instrument, Cubase will place a number before the Port Name.

“2-Montage-1” means Port 1 on the second MONTAGE.
If you do not have a second MONTAGE currently connected...this is why this device cannot be communicated with.

I try very hard to *mess things up* in every possible manner — to better understand exactly how some users wind up painting themselves into these corners. I have not discovered how this particular anomaly occurs. Somewhere in your trying to configure things you have convinced your computer you have 2 MONTAGEs and you want to address the second one.

I would SAVE what you have and reboot Cubase and reboot your MONTAGE. If that doesn’t sort it out. Let us know... You may have to clear your Cubase Preferences... but before you do that, let us know if a reboot does the trick (that prefix “2-“” is the problem.

Posted : 28/07/2019 12:53 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

well, all my tracks have the prefix 2 before the Monatge. absoluetly all 20 of them. and they are all working. just not this one. No, rebooting does not change anything. If ALL my tracks are now setup wrong then what am I supposed to do now? I cannot even tell anyone what kind fo frustration I am experiencing with Cubase. I am constantly stuck and my ideas are turning into anger, my hours are wasted, nothing ever gets completed. I want to throw that thing out of the window. it´s that bad by now. I don´t think I will ever learn how to use this software.

Posted : 28/07/2019 1:47 pm

For whatever reason your computer thinks you have two MONTAGES. And it is attempting to address MONTAGE number 2.

This would occur when you have two MONTAGE (each with 16 Parts) and you want to introduce a second set of 16 Parts... to differentiate between the first MONTAGE and the second instrument, Cubase will place a number before the Port Name.

“2-Montage-1” means Port 1 on the second MONTAGE.
If you do not have a second MONTAGE currently connected...this is why this device cannot be communicated with.

I try very hard to *mess things up* in every possible manner — to better understand exactly how some users wind up painting themselves into these corners. I have not discovered how this particular anomaly occurs. Somewhere in your trying to configure things you have convinced your computer you have 2 MONTAGEs and you want to address the second one.

Gabi: are you connecting the MONTAGE to the same usb port on the PC?. I believe I've seen people having similar issues when changing ports which might lead to the driver thinking you have an additional instrument connected. If this is the case moving the USB cable to the initial usb port might be worth a try when troubleshooting.

Posted : 28/07/2019 1:49 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I don´t know what USB it was on. now on top of everything my audio driver is misset AGAIN and I cannot find where to change it AGAIN. I have been looking everywhere. where can I select the audio driver? right now everythning is completely messed up, I have to abandon my song again. I feel like I´m gonna scream. what a nightmare. I will never be able to finish a single song like this. I should have sticked to my old Yamaha DX7 and my old samplitude software. this here is never gonna work for me.

Posted : 28/07/2019 2:11 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

so I plugged it into another USB port and now I see this. is this right? is this wrong? what does the 4 prefix mean? how is anyone ever supposed to understand this and deal with it? this should NOT be happening!!!!!! it´s just INSANE that all Montage settings go wrong just by chaning a USB port. Unbelievable. makes me so angry. wasting hours and hours with this kind of crap.

and where is my Steinberg driver? it was here 30 minutes ago,. now it´s gone and cannot be selected. How can ym driver just disappear from one minute to the next? even thow Montage connect shows me online.

Attached files

Posted : 28/07/2019 2:17 pm
Bad Mister

I don´t know what USB it was on. now on top of everything my audio driver is misset AGAIN and I cannot find where to change it AGAIN. I have been looking everywhere. where can I select the audio driver?

You select the Driver in the same place it always is selected.
In CUBASE go to STUDIO > STUDIO SETUP > VST AUDIO SYSTEM

Go ahead scream... take some time to regain your equilibrium... then when you calm down get back to this. It really is not that complicated.

Posted : 28/07/2019 2:22 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I am actually crying now. no joke. I want to work on this song and I´ve wasted all afternoon. I simply cannot set up Cubase. for me it IS that complicated. what am I supposed to do now? How do I setup the Montage the way it´s supposed to be now that it is all messed up?

so now after changing USb port I get this, it´s completely wrong. now I have prefix 4 and no midi output. please please please need help really. now absolutly nothing works anymore. now ALL my tracks are a mess

Attached files

Posted : 28/07/2019 2:34 pm
Bad Mister

I would disconnect the MONTAGE from the computer, and work on board the MONTAGE alone.
COMPUTERS are not your forte. Play/Work with the MONTAGE.

When you can get help (personal tutor) do that. I’m sure Cubase has classes in your area... contact your Music Store, often they have folks on staff who can help you. Sometimes there are classes or events where you can get personal assistance.

Then and only then, attempt to add computers to your workflow.
You have a MySteinberg Account, you have access to the Steinberg.net website, there is a Cubase Forum there. You said, It must have happend because of transferring the file from one harddive to another.
I agree, how did you move the data. Manually? Or did you have Cubase write the file (which would have maintained the setup). If you make up your own rules sometimes you break what the system uses to maintain settings. So there is a right and wrong way to move a Project.

Currently, computer connectivity is too big a challenge for you. Don’t let it get in the way of music creation. You can record on board the MONTAGE.

If/When you want to take another stab at it ... let us know.
Again why are you using Elements... I think when first approaching this you didn’t read anything, you just assume that everything works only one way. This setup requires you make certain selections. It does not automatically set itself.
CUBASE AI is recommended, if you did not purchase Cubase Artist or Cubase Pro. You launched Cubase Elements either because you skipped reading the instructions or you decided to makeup your own rules. Not that simply opening AI will guarantee that you won’t have the same issues, but it tells me you are not good at the kind of detail (read then execute) necessary to successfully setup this system.

Posted : 28/07/2019 2:43 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us