Notifications
Clear all

Using Sonic Acadamy ANA 2 With the Montage / Pro Tools

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 al
Topic starter

I am usually pretty good with connecting MIDI devices in Pro Tools, but...

Here is my situation:
ANA 2 (software synth), has the ability to create chords and then play them back using a single key. It does this brilliantly. That's the easy part. Next, I would like to use the Montage to trigger those single note chords using the internal sounds from the Montage, not the ANA 2 preset sounds.

When I press the corresponding single key on the Montage, it only plays the single note, not the chord that I created using ANA 2.

When I press the single note on the ANA 2 keypad I can hear the full chords with the sounds from the Montage.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

System Details:
Operating System - Windows 10 Professional
DAW - Pro Tools 2019.6

Montage Connections:
Montage connected to PC via USB cable. MIDI IN/OUT set to USB
Montage Local Control = off

Pro Tools Setup:
Instrument track with ANA 2 as an insert

Peripherals MIDI Controller =
#1 HUI - Receive from Montage-1 Send to Montage-1
#1 HUI - Receive from Montage-2 Send to Montage-2

Instrument Channel Settings
- Input - Montage
- Output ANA 2

I/O Settings
- No Input
- Output = channel 1/2 of my UAD apollo 8p with MIDI Device set to Montage-1

Please let me know if any additional is needed to help me troubleshoot.

Attached files

Posted : 21/07/2019 2:03 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

You didn't document the MIDI channel setup in Protools for the instrument "track". What's that set to?

This isn't exactly your setup but MIDI channel routing setup needed is similar.

https://youtu.be/c1TBxGNI6W0

Not saying you didn't set this up. Just that it wasn't listed in your description.

Posted : 21/07/2019 4:55 pm
 al
Topic starter

Thanks for pointing that out. Per the video link you posted, I do have the instrument track set up accordingly. My MIDI channel is set up as follows.

MIDI Channel I/O Settings:
Input = ANA 2 Out /channel 1
Output = Montage-1 /channel 2

For this particular test, the performance I am trying to play back is part 2 (MIDI channel 2)

Attached files

Posted : 21/07/2019 6:36 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

This seems like a MIDI routing issue where the instrument track either is not receiving MIDI or it is not passing it through to the plugin. I can't really help with the nuts and bolts effectively without having Protools here.

This is one thing possibly to check but a shot in the dark mostly.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=399775

Posted : 22/07/2019 1:14 am
 al
Topic starter

Again, thanks so much Jason for the time that you take to help people on this site! I hope you are getting payed well 😉

I finally figured it out. In Pro Tools you can easily Arm (put in record mode), audio tracks by simply clicking on the record button. You can Arm as many of the audio track as you want. With Instrument and MIDI channels however, you can only arm one channel at a time unless you 'Shift' > Click the next record button that you want Armed. In other words, if you Arm a single channel, Arming the next channel will un-Arm the previous channel. By 'Shift' > Clicking, you can Arm as many MIDI channels as you like.

So apparently for what I wanted to accomplish, I had to Arm both the Instrument and the MIDI channels. To make things a little easier, I created a Group with both channels so that a single click will Arm all the channels in the group. This comes in handy especially when you have multiple MIDI channels to play all the parts in a performance.

This makes perfect sense in terms of signal routing. It's always been said that Pro Tools is not the best DAW for those who are heavy into MIDI. I would say that is a fair comment if other MIDI centric DAWs allow this type of setup with fewer clicks. I do mainly tracking and mixing of live instruments and so I really like Pro Tools workflow in that regard.

The link you posted is a similar concept but only for when you want to record audio from the synth and not MIDI. I have Pro Tools version 2019.6 and the suggested settings - "Setup (menu) > Preferences > MIDI > Default Thru Instrument > First Selected MIDI Track", did not make a difference. I still have to Arm the Instrument channel to hear anything. No Bussing required, but I do need to have 'MIDI Thru' selected.

I hope this helps someone having the same issues.

Posted : 22/07/2019 1:38 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'm just another keyboard player like yourself. Yamaha employees are denoted with a green "Yamaha" emblem next to their name.

Posted : 22/07/2019 8:46 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us