Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

A question about scenes

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Just a quick one - is it possible to save different keyboard ranges for parts within scenes?

For example, could Part 1 of my performance be assigned to a range of C2-C5 in scene 1, and assigned to a range of C2-C4 in scene 2?
I'm very curious because if this was possible, it would make the scenes feature even more useful for me (and it already promises to be very useful in live situations 🙂 )

Thanks,
Dimitrije

Posted : 08/04/2016 11:41 am
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Hi, i don't think so, extract from the Hans-Peter Henkel review in Yamaha Music Production Guide 02-2016, this picture show what it memorized in a scene :

Phil, Blake or Hans-Peter can you confirm that note range are not take in count in scene memories ?

Perhaps one option to made what you want is to put two same parts on keyboard control in a performance, made note range as you want on each part, and use the mute "memorized" in scene memory to play one part in scene one and another in scene two.

Another way can be use SSS with performance linked to Live set and switch from one performance to another with different note range.

I do not have Montage yet, i can only presume a way to done.
Perhaps there is another easy way to done.

Posted : 08/04/2016 12:19 pm
Bad Mister

For example, could Part 1 of my performance be assigned to a range of C2-C5 in scene 1, and assigned to a range of C2-C4 in scene 2?

What you are attempting to do is possible but just not the way you are thinking about it. Thank you, Joel, for that screenshot. A Scene is "snapshot" memory and can instantly recall a status - as you can see, it stores which of the 8 associated Arp is playing, which of the associated 8 Motion Sequences is playing, the position of the Super Knob (which can be literally scores of parameter settings), select Mixer settings including Sends, pan, volume, cutoff/resonance, FEG Depth, Part Mute status, and even envelope offsets, also Arp and Motion Sequence play FX...

Whatever sound you want to have set to range C2~C5 could be in Part 1, you could repeat that program in any of the other Parts under Keybd Control, say Part 2, mapped C2~C4.
Part 2 is muted in SCENE 1
Part 1 is muted in SCENE 2

That will accomplish what you desire.

EXTRA CREDIT:
You can have eight Parts under Keyboard Control, so what you want to accomplish is totally possible... And to expand on it... Say you want to have acoustic piano split with acoustic bass, electric piano split with electric bass, organ split with synth bass, and strings split with brass... All pairings can have their own unique split points, each recallable using SCENES. These four pairings would use just the first four Scenes in this single Performance!!! Simply use the MUTE status (which is memorized in Scenes) to activate the pair you wish to play).

Totally doable!

Another use would be to have one left hand bass and seven different right hand sounds... You just place all the programs you want into a Performance, set your split point and store your Mute status to a Scene. You will find Montage an elegantly flexible synthesizer for on stage.

Posted : 08/04/2016 1:05 pm
Topic starter

Thank you both for taking the time to reply! I figured that the use of double parts would do the job, though I still wanted to ask if this thing with ranges was possible because it woild be a bit more economical to have one part that could 'expand and retract' across ranges 🙂 but I understand that the purpose of scenes is to memorize/recall values of certain parameters, rather than assignments.

And I understand that I probably shouldn't worry too much about 'being economical' because, like Joel said, I can always use two performances and switch from one to the other when necessary...I'm just not used to having seamless sound switching, so when I think about the ways I could re-program my current setup on the Montage, I'm still in the mindset that tells me to try to avoid switching performances. It will take some time to get used to 🙂

Posted : 08/04/2016 9:13 pm
Estimable Member

Hi,

It would definitely work with different parts for different key ranges. But will parts that are muted take up polyphony?

If you make a new performance for the new key ranges you will have SSS, which you will not have when you do it with scenes, right? The mute will instantly be activated and the sound will be cut off I guess?

Tnx!

Posted : 09/04/2016 8:33 am
Bad Mister

If you make a new performance for the new key ranges you will have SSS, which you will not have when you do it with scenes, right? The mute will instantly be activated and the sound will be cut off I guess?

A Scene does not necessarily cut off a sounding PART. It depends, again, on which function of the SCENE you use to make the transition. If you use MUTES (that was the discussion) naturally a MUTE silences a PART completely, like turning out a light switch. If that is not what you want use a different method to transition. A lot depends on musically the effect you want... do you need to transition seamlessly by overlapping? (that is one way to transition), Do you need to transition by seamlessly morphing between sounds (fading one out, while another fades in)...

Posted : 09/04/2016 5:10 pm

please how to save split sound in banks?? I CANT SAVE MODIFY SOUND ON MONTAGE

Posted : 18/10/2018 6:56 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

@Jonathan

I'm not sure how your question relates to scenes. I am imagining you are programming key ranges for your PARTs to create splits.

After you have modified the PARTs, press the [STORE] button and type a unique name for your User Performance unless you want to overwrite the previous version and keep the same name that you previously assigned as a unique name.

The name should be unique because you could run into an issue of finding your edited Performance if you started with a preset name that "blends in" with other names.

Posted : 18/10/2018 7:03 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us