Notifications
Clear all

A USB Related question

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

The Montage appears to be exactly what I was hoping for. I use Cubase so I will not miss the Sequencer and the expansion of Performance Parts to 8 is more than I hoped for. I will be trading in my Motif XF6 for a Montage 6 as soon as it is available. However there was one feature on the Motif that is missing on the Montage and one that I did love and that was the SPDF Digital out. With my FW16 board connected to my iMac the FW16 is my sound card and the Digital out on the Motif allowed me to route a digital signal to my high end digital audio system that requires a digital input. With that I can play iTunes tracks through the Motif into my audio system. So without the digital out I am looking for an alternative. One I thought of is as follows and I want to know if it will work:

Connect a MiDI cable from the Montage to a USB Hub

From the hub run two connections:

One to the iMac
One to a USB-to-SPDF converter (which I have)

Would that allow me to make a Cubase connection when needed or an ITunes to external audio connection when needed?

Posted : 31/03/2016 8:58 pm
Bad Mister

To what are the main L/R outputs of your Motif XF connected?

Posted : 01/04/2016 3:44 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I do not use the Motif XF L/R outputs. Everything goes out via the Motif Digital out to an external Digital recorder which then feeds a digital signal to my audio system. I use Cubase sometimes for audio recording also and to provide MIDI Thru for my second keyboard that I control via the Motif and the iMac to host various software instruments. It's an atypical setup but it works or me.

Posted : 01/04/2016 5:23 pm
Bad Mister

Your SPDIF is stereo, the USB output of the Montage is an entirely different protocol (32 audio channels) I know of no such converter.

Posted : 01/04/2016 6:20 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks BM. I figured that was the case but wanted ask just in case.

Posted : 01/04/2016 6:35 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us