Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Aftertouch - Midi Out Delay

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I'm using the Montage as a controller for other sound modules in Single mode. I'm having trouble with aftertouch output.

If play and apply aftertouch at the same time, there is a delay to the module or other synth of the aftertouch data. It's not subtle, it is very evident. Say you're playing a brass patch with a aftertouch filter swell. If you hit a chord with aftertouch, you get the notes on time, but then a moment later, you get a fast swell as aftertouch seems to dump all at once. This happens if you play one note or a chord.

I don't have the problem with a KX-5 controller or EX5, and I didn't have a problem with the ES8 I sold, it's definitely a Montage issue. I'm running version 3.00.1. I can't tell you if this occurred with other firmware versions as I've only recently started using the Montage in this way.

Anyone else having this issue? It's going to kill the synth for me as my main focal point in the studio if I can't fix this..

Posted : 21/01/2020 12:35 pm
Bad Mister

Thanks for the question. We don’t have a specific fix, but we can help point you in the direction of how to begin to explore for a solution.

I'm using the Montage as a controller for other sound modules in Single mode. I'm having trouble with aftertouch output.

It is possible to clog the MIDI data stream with continuous control data, like Aftertouch. This will be especially true when you are commanding multiple MIDI channels and/or multiple devices, simultaneously.

It is recommended (highly) when you are controlling external devices that you use the “Zone Master” function (not “MIDI I/O Mode” = Single).

We not sure of your exact configuration or if it is the cause of your problem, but when using the MONTAGE as a master keyboard controller, you should be using the “Zone Master” Keyboard function to route your commands and control what goes Out via MIDI from the MONTAGE.

When setting up the “Zone Settings“ and “Zone Transmit” screens for the Part slot you designate to address your external device, you can customize, specifically, what gets sent to that device. You also want to ensure that any additional Part slots that are active (KBD CTRL) do not wind up transmitting to your external device.

It is unclear, exactly your routing scenario, but if you mistakenly send multiple streams of MIDI data and somehow have merged them to a receiving Tone Generator, or if the receiving device is receiving more than one stream of MIDI data, you can anticipate strangeness and similar wacky symptoms similar to those you are describing. Can you provide more info on your configuration? Both keyboard transmit and external device receive.

Hint: you cannot be in “MIDI I/O Mode” = Single and use the Zone Master functions, simultaneously within a Performance. That is, the act of activating a Zone Switch within a Performance makes the Zone Master settings override the global “MIDI I/O Mode” setting. Obviously, when connecting to another device you are going to need “Multi” (multiple MIDI paths) — both internal + external automatically qualifies as multi.

Let us know.

EXTRA CREDIT:
Mastering MONTAGE: Zone Master FAQ

Posted : 21/01/2020 1:56 pm
Scott

Thank you Phil for the reply. I'm actually running the Montage Local Off with the midi out going to a Midex8 and then routed back to midi in. When I want to use the Montage proper, I select Multi mode, but for simply addressing the external modules with no Montage sounds desired, I was using Single. Receiving modules are set to Omni Off Poly and Ch 1.

I will give the Zone Master setup a try and see if it solves the issue. Looking at MidiOx, it doesn't appear that anything other than note on and channel aftertouch data on Ch1 are being sent, which is why I was pointing to the Montage internals as the source of the delay. There's just not that much midi data on the line, nothing at all like you would see with Multi mode.

Regardless, it appears Single that is not how I should be operating. I will give the Zone Master function a try and report back. Thank you again, I do appreciate it!

Posted : 21/01/2020 2:20 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us