Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Any Montage with Presonus Studio One Pro V3 Users here ?

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Tarek
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi,

Any Montage with Presonus Studio One Pro V3 Users here ?

Are the Quick setup modes of the Montage working with Studio One ?

i.e. in Cubase you can set the MIDI channel of a track to ANY , which will allow the Montage to automatically channelize the Cubase Track depending on the MIDI channel of the Montage. I'm not sure this is possible in Studio One. Since the options for MIDI are just channels (1 thru 16), I'm also not sure it has a MIDI THRU function.

Any feedback on this topic would be very helpful.

My primary DAW is Cubase Pro 8.5 , but I also have Studio One Pro V3 (Which I'm starting to learn at this time), so I'm interested in using the Montage with both DAWs.

Thanks,
Tarek

Posted : 15/08/2016 5:18 pm
Tarek
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi,

Interesting ! No one using S1V3 with the Montage ?

Can someone from Yamaha tell me if I can use S1V3 with Montage to record midi, audio, ARPs ? or is the Montage restricted to working properly with Cubase as far as the quick setup modes ?

Any help in setting up the Montage with Studio One V3 would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tarek

Posted : 16/08/2016 3:59 pm
Bad Mister

Can someone from Yamaha tell me if I can use S1V3 with Montage to record midi, audio, ARPs ? or is the Montage restricted to working properly with Cubase as far as the quick setup modes ?

Yes, you can. You can use any DAW software capable of using an ASIO driver. The Montage's driver requirement: "Yamaha Steinberg USB version 1.9.9" is an ASIO driver. Studio One is capable.

The Quick Setup modes only make changes to the Montage hardware. They make no changes to your DAW. You must setup your DAW software independently for whatever you are doing. For example, say you wish to record MIDI in Studio One... You would need to create a MIDI track, assigned to receive and echo back on the Montage USB-MIDI port 1.

To setup the Montage to record MIDI, you could make the following settings manually, one-by-one, or you could select Quick Setup #1: MIDI Rec on DAW
_ Local Control = Off
_ Direct Monitor = On
_ Output Select = Main L&R
_ Arp MIDI Out = Off
_ MIDI SYNC = MIDI
_ MIDI Clock Out = On
_ Controller Reset = Reset

Most people would forget one or more of these critical settings when setting up to record MIDI on an external program, so the Quick Setup template does the job every time, no worries. But it does nothing on the computer side, that's your responsibility.

There is a separate MIDI Setup for recording Arpeggio generated data... Because on Parts designated to respond to arp phrases, you want the arp generated data to be output, and your trigger notes filtered out. The Quick Setup #2: "Arp Rec on DAW" makes all the appropriate settings concerning clock, and which data is output via MIDI.

When you select the Quick Setup template for Audio Record, it is no where's near as precise as the two MIDI setups. In fact, to be useable it will require customization. No one could create a setup template for every possible setup. In fact, all the template does for Output assignment is activate all 30 of the assignable USB outputs. You'll need to change the assignments based on the instrument sound you've selected to record. Requirements change for almost every thing you do, it's that flexible. This default template also opts to turn Direct Monitor OFF, which again is a choice you need to make. This means you are going to monitor audio post the DAW, it is a choice, you can opt to monitor direct, and mute the audio in the DAW (your choice).

With the 32 bus outputs, creating your own audio configuration is highly recommended. Make it match you particular workflow with your particular favorite DAW. You can customize the Quick Setups and store your configuration in that "Audio Record to DAW" slot. Montage can be used with any DAW, we only invite you to try Cubase AI if you are new to computers. As you can see there are groups of folks who have never used a computer DAW or dislike computers (because of previous bad experiences, or another half dozen reasons). It's a bigger world of recording at the end of that USB cable.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 16/08/2016 4:24 pm
Tarek
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister,

Thank You for the feedback.

I will try to setup the Montage with Studio One Pro v3 . It's also nice to know that I can customize and store the Quick Setup Configuration, i.e for Audio, I didn't know that's possible. I won't be using the Montage as an Audio Interface, I have a dedicated Audio Interface for all my studio gear which I tend to use, it is connected to my monitors.

Cheers,
Tarek

Posted : 16/08/2016 7:47 pm
Tarek
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi,

When using the Montage with Cubase, I set the midi Channel to (ANY) in order for Cubase to auto-channelize the midi track, and play a multi-part performance which is selected on the Montage.

Studio One Pro v3 does not have a setting of MIDI Channel = (ANY), and it also does not have a Global MIDI thru, so I'm not sure how to go about dealing with this.

Since I'm very new to Studio One, (Still learning the ins and outs of S1 Pro V3), I'm guessing there must be at least one S1v3 user who has successfully setup the Montage to work correctly with it. But, so far no replies from any Studio one users might indicate that no such user exists (Yet) ? oh well, I guess I will have to try my best at setting it up myself, or wait for some help in the future.

Thanks,
Tarek

Posted : 21/08/2016 5:39 pm
Bad Mister

Well, it's the same MIDI...:) what options does it allow for a Track as far as MIDI channel?

You may have to setup your external hardware as a "Keyboard" - wherever you define that "Keyboard" item for Montage you want to look for MIDI Channel configuration - so they may not use the word "Any" - a similar concept would be the word "All" or "Omni" or something - take your best guess.

Contact PreSonus, the question you have is not how to hook it up to Montage, your question is how to hook it up to a keyboard where you need the software to "echo back" or "thru" the data on the same channel the keyboard is transmitted it in on.

This they will know, even if they never heard of Montage.

Posted : 21/08/2016 8:44 pm
Tarek
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Bad Mister wrote:

Well, it's the same MIDI...:) what options does it allow for a Track as far as MIDI channel?

You may have to setup your external hardware as a "Keyboard" - wherever you define that "Keyboard" item for Montage you want to look for MIDI Channel configuration - so they may not use the word "Any" - a similar concept would be the word "All" or "Omni" or something - take your best guess.

Contact PreSonus, the question you have is not how to hook it up to Montage, your question is how to hook it up to a keyboard where you need the software to "echo back" or "thru" the data on the same channel the keyboard is transmitted it in on.

This they will know, even if they never heard of Montage.

Hi Bad Mister,

I will look into this, I agree, there must be a way to echo back the midi channel the keyboard is transmitting on, I don't see a MIDI Thru option, but this might be a setting I need to set in the Instrument setup page. I will post an update as soon as I'm able to get the Montage hooked up correctly to S1v3 to operate like it does in Cubase.

I might have to contact their Tech. Support dept. to help me out if I couldn't manage it alone.

Kind of surprised that no one here is using Studio One v3 with a Montage !

Thanks,
Tarek

Posted : 21/08/2016 9:34 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us